Sponsored Ad:
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GRE Chemistry ridiculous questions...

Eager!

Good post? Yes | No

GRE Chemistry ridiculous questions...

Sponsored Ad:
    Hello everyone. It seems like I'm the only one alive in this forum...but anyways, I'll just share my humiliating experience...

I'm just angry with the ETS for asking 2 ridiculous questions in the recent GRE Chemistry exam. Imagine, they asked 'the wavefunctions of butadiene' and 'the wavefunctions of ground and excited states of the helium atom'. Hello? Do I need to memorize these wavefunctions? Just sitting for 170 minutes without food nor water is agonizing...and the exam itself is totally demoralizing...and here they are asking these ridiculous questions?

My appeal: ETS examiners should test the basic knowledge of examinees in Chemistry. These types of questions are so difficult to answer given the meager amount of time. They should be more considerate to the examinees...

Sorry, am just disappointed and frustrated with these questions...

Just expressing my sentiments,

Tashkent

Good post? Yes | No

Re: GRE Chemistry ridiculous questions...

I can understand your sentiments but that seems to be a problem plaguing every subject test...the CS test that I had appeared for also had a few wierd questions...

Anyway, dont worry mate...you will surely get a good score.
    De Geest van Informatie.
    Econ Fan Club

Comisión del Policía
    TestMagic Police Department

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

Hi,

I am going to take GRE CHEMISTRY on December 11th,2004. I have only one book-Princeton review. I don't know whether there are any good books or good site for the preparation. Please help me to take good score in GRE. Give me tips and questions .

Good post? Yes | No

how many questions does one have to get right to score to get a 90+ percentile...if any one hs any idea about it...kindly share it!!

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

Really though, the questions about wavefunctions really aren't that difficult if you have had the classes. If you haven't had the class before you take the exam the schools you are applying to will know that. Those wavefunction classes are very easy if you have had physical chemistry.

Eager!

Good post? Yes | No

Roachstein,

Hello.

The GRE subject exam is a race against time. For Chemistry, it has 136 questions that needs to be accomplished in 170 minutes. Although the wavefunctions of butadiene and helium atom are extensively discussed in Physical Chemistry and Physical Organic Chemistry, I think these questions are very impractical to include in the exam, considering its level of difficulty and the time needed to derive the expressions. Its so damn hard to come up with the equations (you have to set up the matrix first, you have to memorize the necessary formulas, etc..). I believe the ETS examiners are just "ego-tripping" when they included the questions in the exam. From my viewpoint, I think they only want a handful of examinees to pass the exam. I think the examiners should resort to asking "basic Chemistry questions" which can be solved with the alloted time given for the exam.

Of course, my argument would be invalid if your mind lis ike that of Albert Einstein, Erwin Schrodinger, Max Planck or Werner Heisenberg (who got his PhD at the age of 25 at the University of Leipzig). Maybe your exceptional mind can derive these equations in a minute. For me, I go back to rote memorization. (Until now, I don't see the relevance of these wavefunctions in our everyday life. I think its full of crap...)

Regards.

Good post? Yes | No

Hello... and mabuhay...

I just want to know, when does the GRE chemistry test begins? Is it in April, May, or September?

I am kinda preparing eh.

Eager!

Good post? Yes | No

hello.

The GRE Chemistry exam is given Saturdays of 1st week of April, November 2nd wk and December 2nd week of the year.

regards.

Good post? Yes | No

Hello.

I am planning to try the GRE chemistry for the first time. Should I be feel nervous, excited, or nothing but a paper for me to write on.

When will this be held? DO we have this here in the philippines for me to take or do i have to fly to the ETS?

ooooohhh... sacred.

Eager!

Good post? Yes | No

hello.

refer to the previous posting, GRE bulletin, or GRE website for details on schedule.

In the Philippines, GRE chemistry tests are offered in UP Diliman (Vinzon's Hall), Silliman University Dumaguete, and other areas (e.g., UP Baguio - December only). Pls check the GRE Bulletin for details.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information