Sponsored Ad:
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: GRE-CS Nov '12 Study group, Anyone?

Trying to make mom and pop proud Expressions's Avatar

Good post? Yes | No

Great initiative

Sponsored Ad:
    Hi,

I am also planning to give the CS AGRE this year. And I do feel that a local study group would be great. Where do you all stay in Mumbai?

Arun
    Fall 2013 MSCS Applicant | Preparing for CS AGRE 2012

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

Masters in Game Development

Hi,
    I m also planning for MS in Game Development and i have given general GRE test and now planning for subject GRE test as its mandatory for some univ. and also for non CS student.

So, any suggestion regarding subject GRE are welcome.

And Thanks for creating this thread .

Thank You,
    GameDeveloper

Dream to succed

Good post? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by gameDeveloper View Post
    Hi,
    I m also planning for MS in Game Development and i have given general GRE test and now planning for subject GRE test as its mandatory for some univ. and also for non CS student.

So, any suggestion regarding subject GRE are welcome.

And Thanks for creating this thread .

Thank You,
    GameDeveloper
    Hello GameDeveloper,
    From what I have read over the internet and FAQ sections of CompSci department of many US universities. GRE CS is recommended (read compulsary)f or people from Non-CS background majors.
    When I applied last year, I was suggested to take the courses (online) or maybe test my self for this Exam to let the admissions committe judge my core computer science skills viz Discreete Mathematics, Algorithms and TOC.

If you have a BE/BS in computer Science then having papers submitted to international journals or good research experience is suggested.

Thank You
    Praful Memane

Good post? Yes | No

Great to hear-Lets plan the syllabus and start working on

hi guys,
    i am from coimbatore. I am also preparing for the Nov 2012 GRE computer science.Lets plan our syllabus first and start working on.

SOFTWARE SYSTEMS AND METHODOLOGY 40% A. Data organization
    Data types, Data structures and implementation techniques
    B. Program control and structure
    Iteration and recursion, Procedures, functions, methods, and exception handlers, Concurrency,communication, and synchronization
    C. Programming languages and notation
    Constructs for data organization and program control, Scope, binding, and parameter passing, Expression evaluation
    D. Software engineering
    Formal specifications and assertions, Verification techniques, Software development models, patterns, and tools
    E. Systems
    Compilers, interpreters, and run-time systems, Operating systems, including resource management and protection/security, Networking, Internet, and distributed systems, Databases, System analysis and development tools

II. COMPUTER ORGANIZATION AND ARCHITECTURE 15%
    A. Digital logic design
    Implementation of combinational and sequential circuits, Optimization and analysis
    B. Processors and control units

Instruction sets, Computer arithmetic and number representation, Register and ALU organization, Data paths and control sequencing
    C. Memories and their hierarchies
    Performance, implementation, and management, Cache, main, and secondary storage, Virtual memory, paging, and segmentation
    D. Networking and communications

Interconnect structures (e.g., buses, switches, routers), I/O systems and protocols, Synchronization
    E. High-performance architectures
    Pipelining superscalar and out-of-order execution processors, Parallel and distributed architectures

III. THEORY AND MATHEMATICAL BACKGROUND 40%
    A. Algorithms and complexity
    Exact and asymptotic analysis of specific algorithms, Algorithmic design techniques (e.g. greedy, dynamic programming, divide and conquer), Upper and lower bounds on the complexity of specific problems, Computational complexity, including NP-completeness
    B. Automata and language theory
    Models of computation (finite automata, Turing machines), Formal languages and grammars (regular and context free), Decidability
    C. Discrete structures
    Mathematical logic, Elementary combinatorics and graph theory, Discrete probability, recurrence relations, and number theory

Guys this is how i am planning the syllabus.
    Looking at the important topics,
    I am planning to go with Discrete maths for 1 week till sept 8 goin through the ADUNI video lecture,then the following weeks with Algorithms and complexity and then Theory of compuatation all ADUNI lecture videos till 23rd sept.
    Then some 10 days on Computer Architecture and remaing on the first part software systems and methodology and review some question papers.It really short time guys. Have to work hard.

Dream to succed

Good post? Yes | No
    venkateshwaranm: "Guys this is how i am planning the syllabus.
    Looking at the important topics,
    I am planning to go with Discrete maths for 1 week till sept 8 goin through the ADUNI video lecture,then the following weeks with Algorithms and complexity and then Theory of compuatation all ADUNI lecture videos till 23rd sept.
    Then some 10 days on Computer Architecture and remaing on the first part software systems and methodology and review some question papers.It really short time guys. Have to work hard."
    You have a very ambitious plan venkateshwaranm;I am unaware about your backgroud if you are a BE CS then it should be doable for you.
    I would again stress on going through the test first or titaniumbits just to get a hang of what kind of questions are bieng asked and once you know what areas are really weak concentrate on those.
    Just FYI. I have been through those Lectures by Shai and they are really worth watching and learning. Please stick to your plan and don't wander much into detail because the questions range over a multitude of areas of Comp Sci from Architecture to Theory and Programming concepts. Let me know if you have any mock GRE CS test papers.
    Praful Memane

Good post? Yes | No
    hi,
    i am from non computer science background.But we dont have any other go except to cover these chapters in 2 months. I shared how i am gonna work on this plan.3 videos per day without disturbing my regular scheduled. I am working and hence i cannot afford to spend much time on this.do you have the link for titanium bit question papers?.And are you from computer back ground?. No issues yaar. We will finish it for sure.

Dream to succed

Good post? Yes | No
    Great cofidence Venkateshwara, I appreciate your strong will and would wish you success ahead. Even I am from non-cs background and understand that balancing work and studies is tad difficult
    Here is the link for titaniumbits http://titanium.bits.googlepages.com/

Good post? Yes | No
    guys ,i found a new link. That may be helpful.
    HunterThinks.com Blog - Computer Science GRE Study Guide, Data types

Good post? Yes | No
    hi guys,
    i got a link HunterThinks.com Blog - Computer Science GRE Study Guide Home
    May be add one to this link in your list and check it out when you get time.

Good post? Yes | No

Thumbs up Nov 2012 Study group for GRE Subject Test in Computer Science?

Hi Guys,
    I am software Engineer at ST Micro. I want to join any online/offline Group for GRE-CS Nov '12 in India. I have a huge amount of material to share but still I feel it is insufficient for 90%. Also need to discuss preparation tips/time table.

Yahoo group is almost dead now (filled with junk)

We need to have shared hub of resources using services like dropbox, google docs, mediafire etc for preparation. Those who are interested please reply.

Thank You
    Ashish Tanwer

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information