Sponsored Ad:
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Study Material

Trying to make mom and pop proud phinlit's Avatar

Good post? Yes | No
    Sponsored Ad:
    Latest material to come in.....Got a 15 volume like new set of Masterplots from e-bay. 1964 edition. Will save trips to the library. Best of all....under $10. Ok almost $20 included shipping.

Also...registered online for December 10th test date.

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

Thumbs up Brave!

You won't be sorry about the Masterplots...I'm so glad another testtaker tipped me off to them. I spend an afternoon a week with them in the nearby college library.

As for registering for December....wow! That's brave, this far out. Go, go, go!

Good post? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by phinlit
    Latest material to come in.....Got a 15 volume like new set of Masterplots from e-bay. 1964 edition. Will save trips to the library. Best of all....under $10. Ok almost $20 included shipping.

Also...registered online for December 10th test date.
    Great, I guess you have a date to focus on now!! It's for real. GOOD LUCK!

Quote Originally Posted by pkkim
    You won't be sorry about the Masterplots...I'm so glad another testtaker tipped me off to them. I spend an afternoon a week with them in the nearby college library.

As for registering for December....wow! That's brave, this far out. Go, go, go!
    Hey, both of you were taking the GRE for credits, right? Or am I mixing you up with someone else? To be honest, I'm in a way happy I've decided not to take it, I've been so busy writing a decent research paper and preparing to retake the general GRE that I wouldn't know how to fit in the subject test... Maybe I'll decide to take it "for fun" later, it would be a good way for me to get a broad overview of English literature...

Good post? Yes | No
    Yup, Cridamour. Testing for credit.

Pkkim, not sure about the brave part. Figure it gives more time than November. If I don't do so well, I can decide to try to retake in April. As it is for credit, I don't have to worry about multiple tests appearing on the report to the college.

The Masterplots was the one missing piece from the library. For excerpts of older stuff there is gutenburg. I have a variety of Nortons--Classical, Medieval, American, English. The three ETS practice tests, "Cracking the GRE" and old REA book with six tesst. Kinda like the Idiot's Guide to American Literature as well. Also listening to academicmp3audiobooks.com lecture. Plus all the great web material everyone has provided in prior posts.

On the back shelf, behind the useful books are now...Bullfinch's myths, and Jack Rudman's book, and a couple duplicate versions of ETS material and versions that duplicate later versions.

Thanks God for e-bay and half.com. No way I could've accumulated half the books (Masterplots aside) at retail.

Also watching some DVD versions of Shakespeare. Probably a waste of time for sole purpose of GRE Lit, but won't hurt. May help. And beats staring at a blank tv screen, which is about what I'm ready for at the end of the day.
    Last edited by phinlit; 08-10-2005 at 03:02 AM.

Good post? Yes | No

Sparknotes to the rescue!?

It doesn't compare with Masterplots, but Sparknotes 101 does a great job at what sparknotes in general do: helping time-challenged or lazy readers skirt the margins of necessary texts in order to pass superficial, multiple-choice tests. Its concise synopses of 150 canonical works of prose and drama is a real time saver for those who are really pressed for test prep time. It doesn't cover poetry and it is sketchy on 18th and 19th century fiction. Still, all of the works it does cover are essential to know because they are (according to sparknotes editors) the most frequently taught works.

Good post? Yes | No

corrections

Dear Cridamour and everyone,

It's so good to know you guys are reading so hard! And u have so much resource ( DVDs, MP3s, e-shopping, credit cards to order things, etc. & etc.) to help u remember so many things in such limited time. I feel deprived! Where I live there's not much to help me out. So I am trying to brush my undergrad syllabus;I'm painstakingly reading the penguine literary terms, the 4 Nortons, Wordsworth Companion to Lit, Hamilton's Greek Mythology, and what ever I can get hold of including the net to browse through the summeries/plots of great/important/dead/alive writers/poets/dramatists/ essayists ( since the masterplots/sparks notes are not available here).

Cridamour, you seem the wisest. But would u plese tell me why aren't u writing the GRE Lit? I thought u were applying at Yale/Concordia etc.? Isn't it a requirement there? Writing research paper is a wise thing to do ...I think it adds credit for getting assistantships/ fellowships/TSships.

I am really worried about my application process. Here is a brief list of things i need to do ---
    1. study for GRE gen & GRE LiT, TOEFL, TSE ( I heard this is very important for those who want a TAship from the 1st year of admission and which is genrally not given to internationl students in the first year, 60/60 in TSE helps to get a TAship and I need to go for this TSE test since I cannot afford myself without finanlcial help)

2. publish a few research papers ( at least two) somewhere in my home country ( it's very important for getting a TAship)

3. fill in the registration forms of all these ETS tests and run to the bank to get bank drafts and send them in time.

4. finally fill in the application form, write my statement of purpose letters, prepare a good CV, collect reference letters from my uni professors ( which requires so much patience I heard) and then send them before deadlines

I am so worried that I hardly get time to study as I work full time in some uni as a fresh lecturer. I have decided to write GRE Lit in Dec 10, TOEFL & TSE in mid Dec and GRE gen in late Dec. I really don't know if I can get 600 in GRE lit, 700 in GRE verbal, 5.5/6 in GRE writing, more than 280 in TOEFL, 6/6 in TWE and 60 in TSE and manage to publish at at least two research papers by DEC. Do u think I can manage all this within this short period of time? Is it very hard to get admission in mediocre universities?

Can some one give me some HOPE? Is this possible? Or am I aiming too high? I need to do well because my previous records are not so great. But this time I really want to work hard to make my application and CV look good and work to improve my academic career.

I am thinking of applying first to some mediocre universities and then after the first year of course work maybe tranfer to some better university.That's why I am trying to select universities that have a late deadline ( first week of Feb) but has areas of my specialization ( which is postcolonial literature)! Is this possible ? So that I can get more time to study for GRE gen and publish some of my writings. Do you think this a realistic ambition? I My worries are killing me. Please advice.
    Last edited by grassissinging; 08-13-2005 at 02:42 PM. Reason: grammatical/spelling errors, missing information, typos

Good post? Yes | No
    Hello hello and welcome to TM!

First of all, yes, I was the one to demand that the GRE literature test would be included in this forum, and now I'm not taking it... Crazy? I know! Since I'm applying to Comparative Literature programs, I don't need to take the test. Some universities recommend you to, but most just mention the GRE General.
    Now, about you, since you're planning to apply to "mediocre" universities, I don't think you should stress too much about everything. I think you can drop the two articles, they are not a requirement, and it seems rather impossible to get 2 published in such a short time, unless you have already written them and you only need to find a willing journal to publish them. Of course, it's great to publish something, but it's not a requirement, so you'd better focus on the basics before doing this. If you find you have enough time to squeeze it in, good, if not, don't worry. You should definitely do well on your GREs, because they can determine your $$$ in those schools, this also goes for the TSE (however, it is not required everywhere). Make sure to spend enough time on writing your SOPs. Don't worry about the TOEFL, you should do fine. The target scores you mentioned are valid for people trying to get into top 15 programs, so there is no reason for you to stress about reaching them. Your TOEFL target should be around 270; GRE verbal should be around 600 (if you're applying to lower ranked programs AND you are a foreigner); I don't know about GRE lit or TSE, but you don't need the maximum score on those. I don't think even people applying to the top 5 universities get maximum scores in those, so...
    I think that for the GRE lit, the material you're using is good. Don't worry about other people using other sources. You're never going to be able to prepare for every question, and most of the material is the same anyway, whether it's a Norton anthology or any other.
    Good luck and for any other questions, feel free to post!!!

Good post? Yes | No

thank you!

Dear Cridamour and all,

Hey, thank you for your useful suggestions! I realize I was not very practical in many ways. About publications..may be it is not a requirement but it does add credential for foreign students and their eagerness to be enrolled in graduate school for doing research. I have completed one, it just needs a little fine tuning and the other one is half way through. In America they don't ask for really high grades in TOEFL but I have seen in Canadian universities they ask for really high scores, may be because they don't ask for GREs! And I heard it is very hard to pass in TSE ( the passing score is 50 ). Is that true? I saw some of the forum mates discussing how unfair the ETS can be regarding ETS. Many people who had English medium background ends up getting poor scores. I wonder why. Anyway, thanks for inspiring me again, now I will give more emphasis to my GRE preparation and not worry at all about TOEFL/TSE.When are you writing the general GRE? I intend to write GRE Lit in 10 December and GRE general in the first week of January. Please wish me good luck and I wish you and everyone in the forum good luck too!

Good post? Yes | No
    Anybody have the latest "Cracking the GRE Literature Test" 5th Edition by Princeton Review? Wondering if the test is updated or if there is new material from the 4th edition. Thanks. Mike

Good post? Yes | No
    Ok...quite on the topic. Stopped by the bookstore this weekend and paged through the latest "Cracking the GRE Literature Test" 5th Edition by Princeton Review. Didn' t seem like much is new from prior edition. Didn't do a side by side comparision, but test questions looked familiar if not the same. Doubt that it's worth buying the supposed "revised" edition. Love to hear an alternate opinion if any one has reviewed both. Thanks. Mike

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information