Urch Forums

LIST OF PHYSICS BOOKS for VArious Subjects

petersbateraudotedu

Hie I'm an engineer(Masters). I now want to switch to physics and I was wondering, if someone could recommend books to study for the following portions of the GRE Physics test.

Solid state physics, Atomic Physics, nuclear Phsyics, condensed matter physics and special relativity. Would reading a modern physics book be sufficient for all these subjects. I was also hoping if someone could make up a list of books they studied from, that helped them ace the test (beyond the physics GRE study aids). I mean physics class textbooks. Also, how much of the test is basic memorization. Like do you have to memorize all the formulas in electrodynamics.

Speaking of Electrodynamics, looking at griffiths I dont see anything on circuits like impedence matching , dc circuits or ac circuits...I know in some schools they treat this separately, any suggestions would be welcome. Also do you need to learn wave phenomenon after studing OPTICS(hecht), cos I know that some schools treat them separetely.

Thanks

BRrian:D

• 9 months later...
reading a modern physics book wont be sufficient!! its better to deal with every topic seperately...i have also done bsc books may comeup with the list of names if u want to study from those....griffith is very good book..try to finish the exercises...i will also be preparing for subject gre , i just saw this forum..its really great !!

• 1 year later...

Respected sir,

I am a 12th pass from india i gave iitjee and was at very last what i wanted to know from the members, and this is an imp question is that, is iitjee as tough as gre you can see the paper here of iitjee 2006 i gave my rank was nearly 10k in 3 lacks that is an aproxiamtion, but infortunately the took only 5ks.

http://www.fiitjee.com/iit05/main/physice06.pdf

i prepared my self to this level of paper now what should be my appraoch toward gre do you think i should take gre qucikly as i would leave grip overy physics if i start my electrical enggg here .

Please guide me about when to plan gre, can i give gre after i complete freshman in college i mean in phy sub only, pls gudie me , i need your help, i am desperately waiting for you reply.