Urch Forums

Help wanted

I got this one right (the answer is E), but I am posting this because I do not know what "enervating backwaters" means in this context. Your help is appreciated!

In the absence of any ____ caused by danger, hardship, or even cultural difference, most utopian communities deteriorate into ____ but enervating backwaters.

(A) turmoil--frantic

(B) mistrust--naive

© amerioration--ignorant

(D) decimation--intrusive

(E) stimulation--placid

My understanding of this sentence is:- The utopian communities are not stimulated by cultural difference, hardship etc..and they become like any backward region that is isolated from the world and resists progress (enervating backwaters)

(In general, the community restricts its growth by not accepting changes, and is isolated from other communites)

the way i figure it is that placid has a good connotation to it - calm, satisfied. but the point of the statement is that, even though they are complacent, and seem to be doing good, they are slowing deteriorating - or enervating (getting weak), which is not so good.

the way i figure it is that placid has a good connotation to it - calm, satisfied. but the point of the statement is that, even though they are complacent, and seem to be doing good, they are slowing deteriorating - or enervating (getting weak), which is not so good.

but why not C,it also can be understanded that the society is lack of the ameriorate,so that times later,their people will be ignorant,so that is also make the sense.

I got this one right (the answer is E), but I am posting this because I do not know what "enervating backwaters" means in this context. Your help is appreciated!

In the absence of any ____ caused by danger, hardship, or even cultural difference, most utopian communities deteriorate into ____ but enervating backwaters.

(A) turmoil--frantic

(B) mistrust--naive

© amerioration--ignorant

(D) decimation--intrusive

(E) stimulation--placid

Amelioration means to improve, but its a stretch to say that because of danger or hardship a community has improved (its a possibilty, which would signify that the community is growing, but not necesserily implied). Stimulation fits here because it doesn't have a good or bad connotation. Ignorant might have made sense if not for the "but enervating backawaters". The but tells us that the word has to in some way contrast with the enervating, but both those words are in the context that the community is deteriorating. Think of deteriorating as slowly dying, so placid and enervating would make sense.

-Pavi

• 15 years later...

This is a great explanation for the word for the out-of-nowhere "but"

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...