Sponsored Ad:

Thread: need help with SE

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

Question need help with SE

Sponsored Ad:
    While the famed novelist’s first book was full of lively stories and nail-biting finishes, it seems as though she might have run out of material; the sequel is a book full of all but __________.
    options -
    1>wit
    2>intuition
    3>dogma
    4>bombast
    5>vivacity
    all but denotes contrast ,so , the blank should be similiar to "lively stories and nail-biting finishes" or vivacity?

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

Re: need help with SE

In this case, "all but" is not being used as a contrast phrase. It means "very nearly" (see this post conjunctions - "All but" idiom has two meanings? - English Language & Usage Stack Exchange for an explanation of the idioms.)

You could say something like: "I all but died when I saw my GRE score after the first attempt." Which would translate to: "I very nearly died when I saw my GRE score after the first attempt."

Similarly, in this sentence the sequel is very nearly full of _______. The blank that works here is "bombast" - which is essentially empty language. So in total the sentence is saying: "While her first novel was exciting, it seems that she ran out of material; the sequel was essentially just empty language designed to impress."

It is a confusing idiom, and frankly a poorly phrased sentence. But hopefully the double meaning clears this up!
    https://getglib.com - A great community resource for practicing for the GRE AWA!

Thread Information