Its great. I want more.
doing this as an experiment - why does studying wordlist has to be always so booooooaaaarrring? I wrote up two stories ( mini stories) using 80% of Barron's wordlist 46. Lemme know if this helps... if it does, then I shall make more and contribute to this forum...
the underlined words are words from the wordlist!
Tiered of the tantrum that life has been throwing at her, Shauna decided to light the taper and settle down for a tranquil dinner. The sun had already set and Shauna had to grope in the dark for the candle. As she lit it, to her horror she found a gigantic tarantula , on her tatty apron hanging from the wall. She had always imagined that she would be always taut for such emergencies. But alas! A chill shiver ran down her spine. Some one in her head kept on saying “ run, run” in a tautological manner - but her feet were glued to the floor and her eyes on the giant monster on her wall. Shauna decided she had to escape right away! But how? She had already changed into her pyjamas, and she would have to go past the tarantula to get new outside clothes. “ Eureka” she yelled, almost jumping with joy as she remembered she had left her really gaudy dress ( gift from Aunt Petunia) in the jacket closet, intending to donate it to charity. She sprinted out of the kitchen , wore that dress and set out.
Now she was out of danger, but where could she go at this time? She scrolled through her cell phone contact list – who could she call ? She was really abashed at her own behavior, but the giant monster did not leave her a choice, now did it? The phone rang ,
“ shuana? Roger here.. did I catch you at a bad time?? ”
Bad time, are u kidding me thought shauna, but said “ no, not at all, wutz up? “
“ hey listen that science dude, the taxonomist , finally got me free passes for that conference in zoology, do you mind joining in?
“umm.. ok, but is that same guy whose temerity made me absolutely abhor him?
“ yes same guy, but come on… this is the biggest science conference in town, plus there will be food and free drinks”
“ Roger – don’t u know I am practicing teetotalism?”
“ you are practicing wut? “
“ teetotalism as in abstaining from alcohol – I’m studying for my GRE and so, could not miss an opportunity to be a braggadocio”
“ alright Ms. Vocab, tone it down, I mean temper it – in your language. Anyway, do you plan on being temperate or are you coming, I have an extra pass!”
“sure, but if this conference of your turns this beautiful evening into a tedium – itz your responsibility to fix it, I was having quite a lovely time at home” , lied Shauna.
“ okay, your highness, will try to plan the rest of the evening , after the thing is over according to your temperament, I’ll pick u up from the subway station in abt 15mins, is that ok?”
“sure sounds good, cya then!” wut a relief she thought! But wait, where were her keys? In her rush, she had left them inside!
The tempestuous whether matched the tempo of the music that was playing in Anita’s room. She did not want to be a temporal musician, she wanted to be live for 1000s of years in the hearts of music lovers. Her tenacity did not go unnoticed, infact some of her music teachers got so tendentious when she was playing that even if she played a discordant note, it would go unnoticed. They tendered her help in any way she wanted, be it giving her extra lessons or helping her raise money to buy new instruments, they were always beside her . But they had only one condition, She had to believe in the basic tenets of the religion that the teachers practiced, blindly. If their religion said, the sun sets in the east or aluminum has no tensile strength she had to believe it . Initially her relationship with the teachers were tenuous and thus the decision to follow their faith blindly tentative . But during the tenure of their principal music teacher, she got devoted to music, she decided to do anything that it takes to be a musician. She was initiated with bath in tepid water , she learnt their religious terminology, went to their cult’s institution close to the terminus and finally vowed to pay homoage to all the terrestrial deities. She was to make a speech at this institution, even though suffering from social anxiety she decided to face her fear . Her speech was terse, and she gained lots of accolades from the members of the institution. After that, she had to stand in the tessellated floor and speak to the testator about who should receive her wealth after her death. All these rituals and ceremonies was making Anita go testy, but she realized that her condition was like a cow tethered to a pole, she was in the company of theocrats , who did not quite understand the theoretical concepts of democracy. She realised that she would be thralled with this institution forever, but she knew music will be her therapeutic remedy.
here is another one - hope you guys find this helpful as well. this is Barron's Word list 43.. enjoy have fun studying for GRE
"Daddy, what does sequester mean?" – asked Maja
- "Sequester?? Umm… give me the context, where did u come acrosee this word?" – replied Ethane, gazing outside the sere land that surrounded their new house in central Arabia. Ethane could not find believe the serendipidity of getting the first job he applied for here. He had falled in love with serenity of the place when he first visited on a college trip in his undergraduate years. Travelling through the winding, serpentine roads of the golden desert, during that trip Ethane had made up his mind to settle down one day in Jordan. But the circumstances that lead to Maja and Ethane's move to Jordan was not the greatest. Ethane was meek in general, and demeanding boss he had, made him appear even more servile . One morning he woke up and realised, he had to manumit himself from this servitude of working for survining, instead he wanted to live his life to the fullest and listening to his heart's calling. He severed all his connections with the people related to his previoius life except for his daughter and decided to set out on his new life. People has warned him about the severety of the life in desert, but he joked that his interest in hepatology would would work as a sextant and compass to keep his life safely on course. He was determined to break free from the shackles of monopolistic society he livid in. Maja was not very thrilled about moving around the globe, but shamed enthusiasm as she knew daddy would be complete shambles without her.
"Well it says that judge did not want to jury to get biased and so he decided to sequester them." – finished Maja in one breath to Ethane,
- " it means, they are segregating them from public or secluding them from the public temporarily"
- "Oh, I see, Daddy, I'm done my homework, why don't we go clean the accumulated shavings from the carpenter’s work form yesterday" – suggested Maja cleaning up the sheaf of papers on her desk. “ Such a slipshod, the carpenter is! I’m really tiered of his slapdash ways!”
- “What a classic sleeper this poor carpenter is, u would not understand his worth, until he moves away and you are left with no one to build your fancy avant garde furniture’s! Anywa will clean, but first, do you want to try the new sherbet, I bought at Ali babas's ?
- "daddy? You should not eat or drink anything sweets, remember what the doctor said and daddy, are you trying to shirk from cleaning the carpentry room? I know your shoddy schemes?"
- “oh come on Maja, it’s a Saturday, relax, if you continue being such a shrew all the prospective suitors will shun your company and u might have to spend ur old days in solitude” – joked Ethane.
- “ see, you are shunting away from the main point- cleaning”
Suddenly the phone rang…
- Hey Maja, Becky here. Did you read about the about the shyster who was dealing with Abraham’s case?
- ya, ya the same lawyer whose sibling claimed the world was going on according to his sibylline ideas and something about him being able to read sign of the sidereal .. umm.. the star signs sent to us by the aliens.. ya I remember what about him?
- ya, that simian shyster, Zac Bing apparently was trying to coax one of the members of the jury to settle the case in favor of his client.”
- really how?
- well the tabloids are saying the although Bing in real life is a skinflint, and lives pretty skimpily, he had asked jury member Liz Fernando out for a dinner date. He had set up a very romantic dinner, apparently used particularly singular simile like “ my love for you is like a red rose” and even rented a skiff as he knows she loves boating. Fernando wanted to get to the bottom of this, so she simulated to be enjoying this flashing silly simper here and there. Finally Bing had asked her to him this favor and she has everything on tape and has giving to the media!
- what a sinister !! – sighed Maja
- well, I was reading about this case in the morning and the newspaper said, the judge had decided to sequester the jury… clearly did not go well, eh?
- I know what you mean…
As they were talking, Maja’s eyes fell on their pet cat, Tammy, who generally very skittish, was skulking out of the kitchen. Maja’s eyes immediately went into the kitchen and she saw the milk on the table was gone… Such skullduggery infuriated Maja. She immediately hung up the phone on the subterfuge that she was getting another call. She did not want to slander Tammy, she is family after all, but she had to deal with Tammy.
“ Tammy, you sluggard, come here right now..” yelled Maja .
“ meaaow” – came a mellow voice
- yes, I will slight you. If you wanted to slake your thirst, why could you not drink from your own plate? Just because it is further away, you have to change your slothful ways or otherwise you will be grounded for life! No tom and jerry parties for you!
Ethane tried really hard to suppress his snicker as he did not want to lessen the solemnity of the situations, but alas Maja notices his smile which she mistook for a smirk.
-“ Daddy, how is this situation funny? Are you trying to solicit Tammy’s skullduggery?
- “No darling, I am solicitous about you sanity at the moment!” replied Ethane
- Would you care to explain? – enquired furious Maja
- Well, you see my dear, cats don’t understand simplistic English, let alone your bombastic language, so your entire speech is really turning to a soliloquy. But I hope you will find solace in the fact, that Tammy is actually listening to your slur with her eyes on the floor- said Ethane
- Clearly Daddy, you have a mere smattering of information about cats and you are quite a skeptic – snapped Maja and ran to her room, almost in an effort to stop Tammy see her cry like a baby!
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)