Urch Forums

Barron's GRE Words - Quizzes (4500 Words)

Cjherren

I have recently created quizzes for all the Frequently used words for the GRE. I know there are more than 4500 among different sources, but this was an extensive task in and of itself. The program used to take these quizzes is called Quiz 3.4.3. It is quite an outdated quiz program, but yet very simplistic and has allowed me to learn myriads of vocabulary in with quick repetition. The program is free, and can be searched for in google.

I highly suggest anyone who is studying the vocab download the program and try out my quizzes. There are a total of 92 quizzes I made, most of which containing 60 questions. In terms of actually studying these, it might seem futile at first, but you will notice that after going through a quiz once or twice you will start to get a lot faster. Sixty questions might only take you 2 minutes to rush through once you have mastered that quiz. A nice feature with this program is the option to take only the missed questions. You will also notice that sometimes the questions might have odd answers, maybe answers that won't necessarily throw you off. They were randomly selected from the rest of the 4,500 words. But you will soon realize that it doesn't necessarily matter when studying with this program.

In regards to the attachments, I couldn't insert just one so I broke them up. I would have used .rar but only .zip seemed to work.

Anyhow, it took me about 20+ hours to make all the quizzes, and figured others can take advantage of these too. Good luck studying.

EDIT: I updated A-F Words. I found a problem on quiz "A - words 181-240 (60).qze" There was a extra space in the text document that messed up many words. Just download this one and it's fixed.

Edited by Cjherren

Keep in mind these files are just text documents that would need to be opened in Quiz 3.4.3 to take full advantage of the quiz. It was easiest to create the files in text format first though, as opposed to creating them inside the program.

If any has any success with these quizzes let me know. I'm curious if people benefit from them as much as I do. I've already went through 3 quizzes and mastered them in less than 20 minutes.

Keep in mind these files are just text documents that would need to be opened in Quiz 3.4.3 to take full advantage of the quiz. It was easiest to create the files in text format first though, as opposed to creating them inside the program.

If any has any success with these quizzes let me know. I'm curious if people benefit from them as much as I do. I've already went through 3 quizzes and mastered them in less than 20 minutes.

Cjherren,

nice job. frankly to say, umh what is the extension i mean which programm opening those files saved in zip files, txt or what? i just opened with txt format, just only vocabulary went out, not the quiz you promised :)

anyway, write back

Cjherren,

nice job. frankly to say, umh what is the extension i mean which programm opening those files saved in zip files, txt or what? i just opened with txt format, just only vocabulary went out, not the quiz you promised :)

anyway, write back

Quiz 3.4.3 saves the quiz files as a .qze file, which is easily opened in a text document. It's as though they are the same, just different extention. I zipped the files up specifically to bundle them and upload them onto this site. Not sure if I am answering your question correctly, but you need Quiz 3.4.3 to open the quizzes and take them. To clarify, the extension does not need to be changed, it just needs to be opened in the quiz program.

Here is the link directly to the creator's site for it: LS - QUIZ English Home - Just click the download button on the left pane. You will see "QInstall.exe"

Quiz 3.4.3 saves the quiz files as a .qze file, which is easily opened in a text document. It's as though they are the same, just different extention. I zipped the files up specifically to bundle them and upload them onto this site. Not sure if I am answering your question correctly, but you need Quiz 3.4.3 to open the quizzes and take them. To clarify, the extension does not need to be changed, it just needs to be opened in the quiz program.

Here is the link directly to the creator's site for it: LS - QUIZ English Home - Just click the download button on the left pane. You will see "QInstall.exe"

Cjherren,

just downloaded the programm, and voila ~

it`s perfect. as you said, 20+hours. nice job. thx again. when you giving up the gre. mine is by 1st nov and its so little time left ~

Cjherren,

just downloaded the programm, and voila ~

it`s perfect. as you said, 20+hours. nice job. thx again. when you giving up the gre. mine is by 1st nov and its so little time left ~

I think it would have taken much longer but I managed to create a lot by doing the format setup in excel, then creating some macros to automatically add spacing between words, then I copied that to the text document.

I am scheduled for Nov. 6th, which if I intend to just become familiar with these words I think is plenty of time. I don't intend to be able to use everything in a sentence or completely master them, but much better than guessing.

If any has other words that they wish to be added as misc. I can make more at some point or another.

I think it would have taken much longer but I managed to create a lot by doing the format setup in excel, then creating some macros to automatically add spacing between words, then I copied that to the text document.

I am scheduled for Nov. 6th, which if I intend to just become familiar with these words I think is plenty of time. I don't intend to be able to use everything in a sentence or completely master them, but much better than guessing.

If any has other words that they wish to be added as misc. I can make more at some point or another.

Cjherren,

yeah one thing to ask, being the owner of the quiz what strategy you suggest. first of all, look up the list then do the quiz or what? i`d appreciate any suggestions. those 3500 list is the biggest thing on my list those days ~

Cjherren,

yeah one thing to ask, being the owner of the quiz what strategy you suggest. first of all, look up the list then do the quiz or what? i`d appreciate any suggestions. those 3500 list is the biggest thing on my list those days ~

I thought you meant owner of the quiz program at first..

As far as strategy goes, I printed out a packet of the vocab so that I can highlight known words yellow and words i'm not familiar with green. I go through them when i'm riding on the bus. I keep this website open as well: Barron's GRE word list - A, but mainly i've just been going through the quizzes. The most useful thing I try to do is, master a quiz where I can get them all correct 1-2 times, then move on. Every time I return to quizzes another day or time, I retake the old quizzes very quickly.

But i've just been going in order. I haven't finished all the A's yet though. I've just been worn out from work, so hopefully this weekend I can run through a ton of quizzes. I'll post my progress. But it usually only takes maybe 10-15 to really get a good general idea of each quiz before you can move on. Just make sure to rinse and repeat.

I thought you meant owner of the quiz program at first..

As far as strategy goes, I printed out a packet of the vocab so that I can highlight known words yellow and words i'm not familiar with green. I go through them when i'm riding on the bus. I keep this website open as well: Barron's GRE word list - A, but mainly i've just been going through the quizzes. The most useful thing I try to do is, master a quiz where I can get them all correct 1-2 times, then move on. Every time I return to quizzes another day or time, I retake the old quizzes very quickly.

Cjherren,

thx for the reply, there meaning as the owner i just meant "putting the zip files into amazing order". well, its time to back to the quiz. have best study times ~

Cjherren,

thx for the reply, there meaning as the owner i just meant "putting the zip files into amazing order". well, its time to back to the quiz. have best study times ~

Same to you, keep me up-to-date on your progress. A friend and I use to have a lot of success with this program, and i'd be curious to see if others do as well.

hey guys, I am a new guy to the forum. I just found out about this great website to assist with the GRE! This is a wonderful idea! I have been studying for the GRE for a couple months, and have just been reading my books to help prep for this test. I came across this link for the Barron's GRE word quizzes literally 5 minutes ago. Unfortunately, I have to be a member for a month to be able to access this information! I take my GRE on 11/20/2010 and would love to be able to go through these quizzes to help me prepare! How can I access these quizzes? Any help would be greatly appreciated, and would assist me greatly! I would also be happy to answer any questions for someone, or assist them in any way that I can. Thanks in advance! -Roenick

hey guys, I am a new guy to the forum. I just found out about this great website to assist with the GRE! This is a wonderful idea! I have been studying for the GRE for a couple months, and have just been reading my books to help prep for this test. I came across this link for the Barron's GRE word quizzes literally 5 minutes ago. Unfortunately, I have to be a member for a month to be able to access this information! I take my GRE on 11/20/2010 and would love to be able to go through these quizzes to help me prepare! How can I access these quizzes? Any help would be greatly appreciated, and would assist me greatly! I would also be happy to answer any questions for someone, or assist them in any way that I can. Thanks in advance! -Roenick

Seeing that i'm new as well, I am not certain, but I sent you a private message.

For others who have android phones, there is a program called GRE/SAT Helper, which has the exact same words and definitions as flashcards. It's actually not bad, you can select the ones you are having trouble with and it will create a separate group. The program costs a few dollars.

Edited by Cjherren

I find some errors time to time in the files. There is a error with the spacing in the D's. It throws the whole quiz out of whack saying that there are only 59 questions and 2/3 are screwed up. It is literally fixed by opening up the file in notepad and making sure that there is 4 spaces between each question. I have a corrected copy that I will post up soon enough.

I find some errors time to time in the files. There is a error with the spacing in the D's. It throws the whole quiz out of whack saying that there are only 59 questions and 2/3 are screwed up. It is literally fixed by opening up the file in notepad and making sure that there is 4 spaces between each question. I have a corrected copy that I will post up soon enough.

Please do it ASAP.

all you have to do is download this link. and install QUIZ software. and then extract the zip files in some folder. Now open QUIZ program then click on Open files and open one of the extracted file. It is hat easy. Try and incase of any difficulty write back. All the best!