Sponsored Ad:
See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 34

Thread: Barron's GRE Words - Quizzes (4500 Words)

  1. #1
    Trying to make mom and pop proud
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    16
    Rep Power
    10


    2 out of 2 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No

    Barron's GRE Words - Quizzes (4500 Words)

    Sponsored Ad:
    I have recently created quizzes for all the Frequently used words for the GRE. I know there are more than 4500 among different sources, but this was an extensive task in and of itself. The program used to take these quizzes is called Quiz 3.4.3. It is quite an outdated quiz program, but yet very simplistic and has allowed me to learn myriads of vocabulary in with quick repetition. The program is free, and can be searched for in google.

    I highly suggest anyone who is studying the vocab download the program and try out my quizzes. There are a total of 92 quizzes I made, most of which containing 60 questions. In terms of actually studying these, it might seem futile at first, but you will notice that after going through a quiz once or twice you will start to get a lot faster. Sixty questions might only take you 2 minutes to rush through once you have mastered that quiz. A nice feature with this program is the option to take only the missed questions. You will also notice that sometimes the questions might have odd answers, maybe answers that won't necessarily throw you off. They were randomly selected from the rest of the 4,500 words. But you will soon realize that it doesn't necessarily matter when studying with this program.

    In regards to the attachments, I couldn't insert just one so I broke them up. I would have used .rar but only .zip seemed to work.

    Anyhow, it took me about 20+ hours to make all the quizzes, and figured others can take advantage of these too. Good luck studying.


    EDIT: I updated A-F Words. I found a problem on quiz "A - words 181-240 (60).qze" There was a extra space in the text document that messed up many words. Just download this one and it's fixed.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Cjherren; 10-23-2010 at 06:19 PM.

  2. #2
    Trying to make mom and pop proud
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    16
    Rep Power
    10


    Good post? Yes | No
    Keep in mind these files are just text documents that would need to be opened in Quiz 3.4.3 to take full advantage of the quiz. It was easiest to create the files in text format first though, as opposed to creating them inside the program.

    If any has any success with these quizzes let me know. I'm curious if people benefit from them as much as I do. I've already went through 3 quizzes and mastered them in less than 20 minutes.

  3. #3
    truth`s somewhere here ntorokeldiev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Bishkek
    Posts
    70
    Rep Power
    11


    Good post? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by Cjherren View Post
    Keep in mind these files are just text documents that would need to be opened in Quiz 3.4.3 to take full advantage of the quiz. It was easiest to create the files in text format first though, as opposed to creating them inside the program.

    If any has any success with these quizzes let me know. I'm curious if people benefit from them as much as I do. I've already went through 3 quizzes and mastered them in less than 20 minutes.
    Cjherren,

    nice job. frankly to say, umh what is the extension i mean which programm opening those files saved in zip files, txt or what? i just opened with txt format, just only vocabulary went out, not the quiz you promised

    anyway, write back

  4. #4
    Trying to make mom and pop proud
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    16
    Rep Power
    10


    Good post? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by ntorokeldiev View Post
    Cjherren,

    nice job. frankly to say, umh what is the extension i mean which programm opening those files saved in zip files, txt or what? i just opened with txt format, just only vocabulary went out, not the quiz you promised

    anyway, write back
    Quiz 3.4.3 saves the quiz files as a .qze file, which is easily opened in a text document. It's as though they are the same, just different extention. I zipped the files up specifically to bundle them and upload them onto this site. Not sure if I am answering your question correctly, but you need Quiz 3.4.3 to open the quizzes and take them. To clarify, the extension does not need to be changed, it just needs to be opened in the quiz program.

    Here is the link directly to the creator's site for it: LS - QUIZ English Home - Just click the download button on the left pane. You will see "QInstall.exe"

  5. #5
    truth`s somewhere here ntorokeldiev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Bishkek
    Posts
    70
    Rep Power
    11


    Good post? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by Cjherren View Post
    Quiz 3.4.3 saves the quiz files as a .qze file, which is easily opened in a text document. It's as though they are the same, just different extention. I zipped the files up specifically to bundle them and upload them onto this site. Not sure if I am answering your question correctly, but you need Quiz 3.4.3 to open the quizzes and take them. To clarify, the extension does not need to be changed, it just needs to be opened in the quiz program.

    Here is the link directly to the creator's site for it: LS - QUIZ English Home - Just click the download button on the left pane. You will see "QInstall.exe"
    Cjherren,

    just downloaded the programm, and voila ~

    it`s perfect. as you said, 20+hours. nice job. thx again. when you giving up the gre. mine is by 1st nov and its so little time left ~

  6. #6
    Trying to make mom and pop proud
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    16
    Rep Power
    10


    Good post? Yes | No
    I just added a quick video of quiz 3.4.3 to show how to open the file and create/edit quizzes.

    YouTube - Quiz Files.avi

  7. #7
    Trying to make mom and pop proud
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    16
    Rep Power
    10


    Good post? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by ntorokeldiev View Post
    Cjherren,

    just downloaded the programm, and voila ~

    it`s perfect. as you said, 20+hours. nice job. thx again. when you giving up the gre. mine is by 1st nov and its so little time left ~
    I think it would have taken much longer but I managed to create a lot by doing the format setup in excel, then creating some macros to automatically add spacing between words, then I copied that to the text document.

    I am scheduled for Nov. 6th, which if I intend to just become familiar with these words I think is plenty of time. I don't intend to be able to use everything in a sentence or completely master them, but much better than guessing.

    If any has other words that they wish to be added as misc. I can make more at some point or another.

  8. #8
    truth`s somewhere here ntorokeldiev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Bishkek
    Posts
    70
    Rep Power
    11


    Good post? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by Cjherren View Post
    I think it would have taken much longer but I managed to create a lot by doing the format setup in excel, then creating some macros to automatically add spacing between words, then I copied that to the text document.

    I am scheduled for Nov. 6th, which if I intend to just become familiar with these words I think is plenty of time. I don't intend to be able to use everything in a sentence or completely master them, but much better than guessing.

    If any has other words that they wish to be added as misc. I can make more at some point or another.
    Cjherren,

    yeah one thing to ask, being the owner of the quiz what strategy you suggest. first of all, look up the list then do the quiz or what? i`d appreciate any suggestions. those 3500 list is the biggest thing on my list those days ~

  9. #9
    Trying to make mom and pop proud
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    16
    Rep Power
    10


    Good post? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by ntorokeldiev View Post
    Cjherren,

    yeah one thing to ask, being the owner of the quiz what strategy you suggest. first of all, look up the list then do the quiz or what? i`d appreciate any suggestions. those 3500 list is the biggest thing on my list those days ~
    I thought you meant owner of the quiz program at first..

    As far as strategy goes, I printed out a packet of the vocab so that I can highlight known words yellow and words i'm not familiar with green. I go through them when i'm riding on the bus. I keep this website open as well: Barron's GRE word list - A, but mainly i've just been going through the quizzes. The most useful thing I try to do is, master a quiz where I can get them all correct 1-2 times, then move on. Every time I return to quizzes another day or time, I retake the old quizzes very quickly.

    But i've just been going in order. I haven't finished all the A's yet though. I've just been worn out from work, so hopefully this weekend I can run through a ton of quizzes. I'll post my progress. But it usually only takes maybe 10-15 to really get a good general idea of each quiz before you can move on. Just make sure to rinse and repeat.

  10. #10
    truth`s somewhere here ntorokeldiev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Bishkek
    Posts
    70
    Rep Power
    11


    Good post? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by Cjherren View Post
    I thought you meant owner of the quiz program at first..

    As far as strategy goes, I printed out a packet of the vocab so that I can highlight known words yellow and words i'm not familiar with green. I go through them when i'm riding on the bus. I keep this website open as well: Barron's GRE word list - A, but mainly i've just been going through the quizzes. The most useful thing I try to do is, master a quiz where I can get them all correct 1-2 times, then move on. Every time I return to quizzes another day or time, I retake the old quizzes very quickly.
    Cjherren,

    thx for the reply, there meaning as the owner i just meant "putting the zip files into amazing order". well, its time to back to the quiz. have best study times ~

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Audio files of Barron's GRE High Frequency Words List
    By mickgreen58 in forum GRE Verbal
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 05-10-2011, 02:09 PM
  2. Hi Friend How to Memorise Barron's GRE words..?
    By rohit4all in forum GRE Verbal
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 10-24-2010, 06:17 PM
  3. Barron's 800 Words or Barron's 4000 Words
    By stevekho in forum GRE Analogies and Antonyms
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-22-2010, 01:51 PM
  4. GRE Flash Card Selling (4888 Barron's GRE Words)
    By sunsmiling in forum GRE Analogies and Antonyms
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-16-2006, 04:29 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •