Urch Forums

Cons of taking the GRE in July 2011 vs. New version

melly19

Hi guys! I scheduled my GRE for July 2011, not realizing that they are changing the format in August. Grr. I haven't bought my test prep materials yet, but I plan to soon. Do you think if I scheduled another exam (post July), that my test prep materials will be basically useless since they are for 2011 and with the old format?

Realizing my absent minded scheduling mistake, I plan to reschedule my exam for June. I initially chose July because my June will be very busy (three weddings, bridesmaid duty, summer school AND a full-time job!). I hate to have to spend another $50 to change the date! This test is so expensive as it is. =/ Do you think this is my best option? If I were to take the test in July and I wanted to retake it after August, I'd have to test with the new format. I'm worried my test prep materials will be deemed unhelpful at that point.

Any advice on what I should do? Take the exam in July and risk re-taking it under new format or pay the $50 fee to reschedule test date?? Thanks for the help in advance.

Hi Melly,

I agree with Cuento's suggestion that you reschedule. There are significant changes to the New GRE, both in content covered and in format, and taking it with no preparation could be difficult. My organization is writing an entirely new set of materials for the new test because we feel our current materials won't be able to adequately prepare students for the New GRE.

If you were to take the August test after using only your current materials you would come up against some unfamiliar question types, and an entirely new structure of test (it won't be entirely computer adaptive anymore). To get the most out of your materials, you definitely need to take the current exam.

Another major concern is when you will need your scores. The new GRE won't start distributing scores until mid-November of this year. So if you have an early to mid-fall application deadline, the new exam absolutely isn't an option.

If you must take the new exam, be sure to check out the free PowerPrep 2 software that is available for free on the ETS website. If nothing else, that will give you a chance to run through the new format and prepare yourself for what you will see on test day after August 1st.

Good luck with your studies!

Regards,

Taylor Dearr

• 1 month later...
The new version kicks off Aug. 1st, 2011

guys,

yeah everybody - " GRE landers + visitors " are aware that there revised gre test is coming up as " aficionado" says just toring the current gre with the so to say revised one...

my concern is that well, in academic view - its perfect, no words. as a matter of fact, there is no solid material and it will not be untill mid July 2011, before the tsunami...

so is it enough just to conceive ourselves, telling hey man new test is coming up, relax there is 50 discount etc, to take the exam ?

power prep 2, is just a start up material, so what you say ? please write somethings )

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Bostonfan,

I would recommend registering as soon as possible. In the past, waiting until a month in advance of your target date has been plenty of time to schedule a GRE. However, as the final administrations of the current GRE become more scarce, we expect to see a rush to register for those last spots. Due to the upcoming exam shift, it is very hard to predict what will happen with registration availability in the next few months. Hope that helps!

Best Regards,

Taylor Dearr

• 12 years later...

July 2011: The GRE's antiquated structure can make it difficult to take, since it does not have the adaptive features and question kinds added to the more recent edition. Keeping up to date guarantees familiarity with the test's changing format and improved readiness for success.