Urch Forums

How to approve Quants question by ETS

kikis3127

I have my GRE exam coming up. ETS sent me a link with few quantitative tests. It says that these are real GRE questions. These tests have answers but no solution. Pl. help me solve the following questions:

The price per pair of brand X socks is $2 and the price per pair of brand Y socks is $3. If there is no sales tax and a customer chooses only from among these two brands, what is the greatest number of pairs of socks that he can buy with exactly $25 ?

The price for each package of paper of type A, including taxes, is $3 and the price for each package of paper of type B, including taxes, is $4. What is the greatest number of packages of paper a person can buy with exactly $65 ?

Thanks in advance.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

We are asked to get the maximum number of things within a fixed amount of money. To get the maximum number of products, we have to maximize the number of products of lowest price.

For 1:

cheaper price is 2$ and we have to buy the products exactly with 25$.

25/2=12.5 , If we buy 12 pair brand X socks, 12*2=24, we have 1$ left. But that cant be happened!!

If we buy 11 pair brand X socks 11*2=22, we have left 3$ buy which we can buy a pair of brand y socks. So total 11+1 =12 pair

Answer:12(D)

For 2:

similar to the 1st one:

65/3=21+something...., so 21*3=63, 2$ left; so it is not acceptable!!

next,20*3=60, 5$ left, we can not buy Product B with 5 $ ;so it is not acceptable

19*3=57$, 8$ left by which we can buy 2 package of B, so total 19+2=21(E)