Urch Forums

GRE Weekend Prep courses...anyone taken one?

angelalane

I am thinking about taking a GRE weekend prep course, and I am wondering if it is going to be worth the money. They are typically 35-40 hour weekend courses, and cover all aspects of the GRE and offer tricks/tips.

Has anyone taken one? Did you find it helpful and which company did you take?

Thanks,

Angela

My two cents :

You don't need to attend courses to ace the gre. I dont think tips are going to help us beyond a point. It's just going to be practice which will help you most. Try getting the material from someone who has attended the course, and work on it by yourself. Provided you have enough time, and stay motivated, you should be fine. This is just my personal view, again. :)

All the best.

yeah, i agree...i don't foresee taking a weekend course helping too much as acing the GRE is a combination of practice over a period of time, knowing specific vocab words, and basic/trivial concepts.

however, a month long course might be worthwile, but if you are self-motivated books are probably the most cost effective approach.

Hi,

It is true that nothing can match your self study. I did join such a weekend class in Chennai, India. I discontinued after two weekends itself, when 12 more weekends to go!! A motivated and net savvy candidate can definitely gather more than the adequate material required for studying. May be such classes might suit job goers, but I am sure these classes cannot promise you any magic score of 1400 and above. If you are smug with 1000-1200, you can definitely join these classes.If you want to push further, it is your personal home work that is going to make the difference!! Whatever I've stated here is a personal experience only. I don't disagree if any 'miraculous' coaching center exists in your hometown,okay.

I didn't take a GRE course, but I taught one.

You should really try prepping on your own first. Take a practice test to begin. After a month of studying, take another practice test. Evaluate your improvement. Use the prep course as a last resort and you've exhaused all of your resources.

Hi,

I read atleast two posts in TM itself, at varying points of time, advocating the uselessness of 800.com. I am sorry I don't remember the thread. Even recently, Ivo had not praised(!) 800.com in his/her debriefing. Of course, I don't have any personal experience, but was only trying to help by passing on the wisdom of someone else..

Thanks for everyone's replies. I agree with you all- there is no substitute for good 'ol practice and studying. I think I will keep trying to do it on my own (with guidance from all the wonderful people on here) and see how it goes.

Thank you all so much for your input!

Angela