Urch Forums

GRE Questions. Pls help. thank you.

zzzzz

hello. i am new here. im from quezon city, philippines. hopefully, i would be applying for the GRE next year. i just have a few question. i hope you could help me.

1. where and how could i register for the GRE?

2. to be accepted in gradschool,(e.g. master's in economics) what score for the GRE general test should i achieve?

3. other tips for the GRE.

:). thank you very much!

Thanks for the time-wasting post, GRE_Pupil. Very nice.

To zzzzz...yes, go to the official site, GRE: Graduate Record Examinations Information to register for the GRE. Don't register, though, until you've started to prep, so you have an idea of how much time you'll really need.

Obviously, the higher you can score, the better, but some schools have an unwritten requirement that you get at least 600 in each section. For econ, I'd think closer to 800 for quant would be important, and it doesn't seem hard for math or engineering majors to hit it.

Best study tips I came across...first, get a good understanding of the test itself. gre.org has some good info of course, and so does The Princeton Review. You will need an overall review guide that fully explains each section of the test and has practice tests. My favorite so far is Cracking the GRE, from Princeton Review. The tips and tests are very good.

You will also need practice questions. I've seen mixed reviews on the official practice guide, some saying it's too easy. But I think there's a new one out, so I'd get it. You need to do untimed practice questions in addition to timed tests. Do questions on weeknights, one section at a time, and a test each weekend. REVIEW your answers carefully!!

Also, you have to study vocab. I personally don't like the massive Barron's 3,500-word list because you'll only see a tiny fraction of those words on the real test. I got Word Smart for the GRE, and it's a condensed list that is supposed to be more accurate (i.e. you'll see more of those words on the test). The tips for learning new vocab have been very useful.

Plan on 2-3 months of prep unless you recently graduated college or have been out a long time. But definitely wait a few weeks to register.

Hope this helps!