Urch Forums

Welcome to the High School Admissions Forum!

Erin

Believe it or not, many people work very hard to get into a great high school. I have a lot of experience helping people get into high school here in San Francisco, and I will try my best to help others as time permits.

Okay, I'll go wait quietly for the second brave person to post in this brand new forum. :D

Hi Erin!

Hmm... I don't know what to say. Just wanted to be "the second brave person" to post in this brand new forum!!

Btw, Is it really hard to get into a good high school in the US? In Bangladesh, it is very very difficult (some times more difficult than grad schools) to get into a good high school!

Hi Erin!

Hmm... I don't know what to say. Just wanted to be "the second brave person" to post in this brand new forum!!

Btw, Is it really hard to get into a good high school in the US? In Bangladesh, it is very very difficult (some times more difficult than grad schools) to get into a good high school!

same here in pakistan !

haha. SO TRUE!!! Getting into the right high school is one of the most important things ever in SF! There is so much competition to get into the best schools in the area. It's as insane and important as getting into college for most. Everyone knows one school's better than the next, so much pressure!

Just a note, if you want to get your butt into some great schools in SF, it's recommended that you're an athlete (sounds a lot like college, huh?). After all, I know certain schools *ahem* recruit students. I'm not sure how big SI is into recruiting, but the Athletic Department is a huge thing. Grades and entrance exam tests are also mega huge. Oh, and ALUM CONNECTIONS!!! haha. Yup. Least that's how things work where I am.

Public schools are also really hard to get into! Especially in SF. Lowell is one of the hardest schools to get into, and there's a huge difference between it and Mission. sigh. Lowell gets so many people into Berkeley, it's insane.

To end my long rant, where you go to high school means A LOT, so it's super competitive to get into ANY good school in the area.

So true... Getting into some of the high schools in San Francisco is like getting into Stanford or Harvard. I actually think this situation is worse than that of applying to college because the pressure on the middle school students is so great.

• 1 year later...

Hi Erin!

Okay, I know this thread hasn't been used in a year, but I thought I'd post here anyway. Good to meet another SSAT/ISEE tutor. I'm on the east coast (Connecticut), but I feel the same way as you about these tests. It's such a shame that students have to start taking standardized tests so early now.

Can I ask a question out of curiosity -- how does it work in San Fran? Here it's only the students applying to private schools who have to take the exams (usually the SSAT, though the schools all seem to take the ISEE, and of course there are the Catholic schools, who have their own test). I grew up in San Diego and I don't remember any kind of pressure to apply to private schools, or any kind of feeling that if you weren't in private school you were somehow lacking (that seems to be the feeling here). Is that how it still is, or has the competitive HS admissions process made its way to San Fran as well?

(just curious.)

Anyway, thanks for setting up this forum. I'm off to explore and try to figure out how to do simple things like make a signature so that I don't always have to type:

Cheers!

-Brooke

Abacus Learning - Tutoring For All Ages

• 3 years later...
Hey this is Robin from India, am a Merit student and due to some circumstances left my studies in between but now i want to continue my studies. Studying in US is my dream but can't effort to study over there is there any option for me to come to US and achieve my goal ?