Urch Forums

how to improve ielts score

aries_dollar

dear friends,

i gave my ielts test exam last month and scored listening-7 reading -6 writing 5.5 , speaking 6.5.i need 7 bands each to get PR in australia. i am weak in reading and writing and dont even know how to improve my score. i took the help of private tuitor but still the result is same. i would be very thankful if anyone could help me in achieveing my target.

• 3 weeks later...

You can improve your reading yourself. Use a strategy for each question type (e.g. For T/F/NG, find the key words or a synonym, but do not read the whole article) then practice as many tests as you can.

For writing, go back over the corrections your private tutor did of your writing. Find your common grammar mistakes, write them down, and check for them after you finish each writing. Also look at any style suggestions and do the same thing. Then it is time to practice, practice, practice.

Regards,

Mike

ielts2u - an IELTS writing help site

• 3 weeks later...

I sort of agree with Mike, accurate grammar is one key to taking your writing to the next level. May I add a point though? The time to check your grammar is positively not at the end of the writing as most people suggest, rather you should correct as you go along. Whenever, you come to a full stop, go back and check for your mistakes. Why?

1. You will lack the energy and concentration to see the mistakes and put them right if you leave it to the end..

2. It may be too late to correct your writing coherently.

3. The longer the piece of writing, the harder it is to find the mistakes. sentences are easier to correct than essays.

This may seem a small point, but experience has shown me that it is much more practical in exams when you are under stress.

I’d add this. Very frequently, the key to getting to a 7 is range and precision of vocabulary. Again, here are my exam friendly suggestions:

1. Plan your vocabulary as much as your ideas before you write. This may seem offbeat, but it does work, if you plan the words you want to use. it is after all a test of language not intelligence.

2. Think examples. If you use extended examples, you range of vocabulary is almost certain to improve as you won’t just be using the abstract language, but the language of real life too. If you read the question, it almost always says “use examples from your own experience”.

3. Check for repetition. It is very easy to get stuck on a word and keep using it. This tends to be easy to put right.

Final point. Make sure that you really read and understand the question and then answer it: if you only write 240 words or write generally about a topic and not the precise question, the examiner may take off a couple of marks. Crazy? Maybe, but those are the rules of the game.

Good luck

• 1 month later...

Yeah!! I agree with them. I also preparing for IELTS exam in General Module. But I still don't know Reading and Writing Courses in General. I don't want to get heavy on study as a candidate of Academic Module. So, if someone know about General Module Courses, you can feel free to reply me.

Good Luck Everyone,

Leyan

• 2 weeks later...
Don't leave blanks - in both reading and listening you are required to answer a variety of question types including multiple choice, gapfills, short answer and so on. If time is short or you have no idea of the answer then GUESS. When guessing use logic to try to work out the answer and make sure you insert the appropriate answer style. You do not lose marks for the wrong answer and you may get lucky and earn a few extra points.