Urch Forums

I really need help on improving my GRE scores from 930 to 1200 (bare minimum).

Kassman67

I need advice regarding the GRE. I scored a 930 (380V/550Q) and 6.0 on AW; however, I would like to be able to score a 1200 so I can be considered for Ph.D. programs in health psychology. I have a 3.7 GPA, laboratory experience in 3-4 labs for 2 years, and I am working on a publication from a study I helped run last year (which is likely to be published due to interesting data on insight problem solving and mindfulness). I would have good letters of recommendation (from 4 professors), but the only thing that is impeding my chance are my low GRE scores. I bought the princeton review: cracking the GRE 2009 edition. I only took about 2 practice exams, so maybe that was my downfall? I felt so nervous during the exam because I knew I had to perform well. When I saw my score my stomach and heart just dropped. Please I need some advice on how to improve my score (and I have enough time to study and take the exam once or twice before I apply to graduate schools)! Thanks for any advice, because I sure need some. Which preparatory books should I buy? How should I practice beforehand this time? I just need to perform well so I can attenuate this illogical anxiety! :doh:

Hello buddy, its not tough to crack gre! i here by write a few tips here:

I'd now introduce to my two month system which worked for me. I couldn't cut it down ( sorry for that)

First Month:

Firstly Get yourself comfortable to read for about two hours a day ( you can increase it, if you decrease the days of prep). Just two hours!

Now that you are prepared, download the GRE BIBLE software, which is just 5mb

Okay pals, this is one of the best software that jumbles all the words into 100 word lists, each having 30 words. You don't find all A's together or all B's together like in case of barons. It clearly mentions that to read 5 word lists a day, so you are done with the word lists in 20 days! Amazing!

It has various games related to the word list you study like

Multiple choices

Reverse Multiple choice (meaning is given, you've to select the word)

Matching (two types)

FLIP CARDS (this is the most important exercise) .

So do these as many as you can. Remembering the words is definitely not that tough.

Let's see an example: Braggadocio: a boastful person.

Look for what you know in the word? Bragg + a+ doc+... doc( a doctor) is the one who brags( a braggart is a boaster) so guys...do this division and remember as much as you can.

Do's and Don'ts in these 20-30 days of learning:

Do Memorize the words whenver you see them

Do Revision, revision , revision and revision. Do revision with the flip cards( takes 1 minute for a word lists, so in total-100 minutes for all the 3000 words dear!

In case you find reading all of them impossible, this site offers the videos of many words related to GRE, haffun here: wordahead.com

Don't ever relent in the last few days of your preparation.

Never read on the day just before the test.

Don't overload with the words.

Please don't neglect the Barrons sample examples of analogies and Sentence completions.

Do take rest for a day or two when frustrated but not more than that. Value the time and it values you!

It all takes you a month for the words, don't doubt about the maths( if you are particularly week in it,then go for any good book and read the summary, practice Quant. I feel guys from B.tech find it easy when it comes to math!)

Second Month:

you are done with the first month, it passed off with the words and their implementations. Now here comes the test of your caliber and your words. Start writing the tests from day one of the second month.

Write as many tests as you can, the following are recommended:

-> Princeton's review test(4)

-> Kaplan's GRE test(8)

-> 800 Tests ( both quant and verbal are available)(15)

-> Power prep (very similar to GRE)(6)

-> CAT tests in GRE Bible(10)

->Online mini tests (as many as you can)

->Solve the Big book, if you feel like

One active forum that i would highly recommend is this forum: test magic-gre (You need to register here) . It will definitely be the most helpful one, here you find students from all over the world discussing GRE. Be active in the community and you can learn on how to move on with the analogies without any one to teach.

Make a check list:

Make a check list for yourself and keep checking on your status of improvement. I bet you'd improve to the maximum. Make sure you are not repeating your mistakes.

Methods to Revise your vocabulary:

-> dr. raju's link of sessions, where in words are divided based on their groups

-> a copy of categories, where in all the words are divided into categories and the words that belong to it are listed in it. If you know one word in it then you'd probably remember the other few words.

Do's and Don'ts for the exam:

Stop reading a day before the exam

don't waste your last few days( 15), they are precious as gold

Please don't neglect AWA, it does play an important role in your selection at the universities in USA.

No tension please, this will ruin your exam. It did ruin my pa's exams. so do not get tensed.

Sleep the night before exam with no feeling of GRE.

Never think of those 170$'s :)

All the best! for more check this article!

Cracking GRE @ ease | Rise for a Cause :) hope it helps!

Thanks! The GRE Bible software is very helpful for vocabulary. I bought the self-preparatory GRE book titled: Barron's: 2009 Edition (I think this is a good one). So hopefully this book contains useful questions and mathematical concepts. I also have the big book practice exams, so after around 2 months of studying (1 month for verbal and 1 month for quantitative) I will start trying some of these practice exams. :tup:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
IMO a score of 1200 is very reachable if you spend a decent amount of time on math because that section is obviously easier.... however cracking the verbal is more of a reach and lots of time must be spent on this section in order to conquer it.... i'm not saying it isn't easy, but with lots of practice you definitely will surpass the 1200 range... good luck!

I'd say start with the verbal because that section requires alot more effort and time..... imo i think learning the barron's wordlist of 3500 words is vital because building a huge vocabulary base is important in understanding the SC, Antonym and Analogies.....

kar mentions some test books

-> Princeton's review test(4)

-> Kaplan's GRE test(8)

-> 800 Tests ( both quant and verbal are available)(15)

-> Power prep (very similar to GRE)(6)

-> CAT tests in GRE Bible(10)

->Solve the Big book, if you feel like

Would it be possible to find above books in electronic version? If possible please help by providing link. Thank you.