Urch Forums

Just took the GMAT feeling very depressed, humiliated and ASHAMED!!!

ikchicago

I took the GMAT yesterday, and i am too ashamed to say my score. I have done the test about 4 times now. I joined this forum last year and all the materials have been very helpful...regardless of my score not improving.

I admit that the past 3 times i did not prepare for the exam because I was just taking it so as to have a GMAT score. This time which I studied my butt off because i finally found a course i like which is in a B school, which at this point I am thinking i am not a B school material.

I know i want to further my education is what i want to do at this stage of my life, i have been out of college for about 9 years now still that is no excuse.

Now that i am done spilling my guts; i have come to the conclusion that i apparently do not know " HOW TO READ FOR THE TEST" & "MORE IMPORTANTLY HOW TO TAKE THE TEST". I freaked out yesterday.

PLEASE CAN ANYONE RECOMMEND VERY GOOD PRIVATE INSTRUCTORS THAT HAVE PROVEN RESULTS.

THANKS TO ANYONE IN ADVANCE WHO TAKES TIME OUT TO REPLY TO MY POST AND GIVES ME SUGGESTION MUCH APPRECIATED......

• 2 months later...
hey, i just got 540, was very upset cuz my diagnostic with zero studying was 550. and practice ones were 640. i took online kaplan course too on top. some methods are just not working for certain people. i am reconsidering what im gonna do and how i will prepare for the 2nd time. this guy on this forum "geemat" has great ideas, i dont know how u ll go look for his blog from here. but it seems that u can't figure out on ur own what ure doing wrong. so u are right, tutor sounds like a great option and kaplan has good ones. one on one would be best it think. online was ok, but u need some real guidance with individual approach. dont give up and dont feel not worthy. i just felt that way 2 days ago when i got my score, but once u can figure out where u are stalling and what u need to grasp and allocate enough time and resources, u will be able to score way higher. feel sorry for urself for a little bit, and then back to work![clap]

ikchicago,

You should definitely retake the GMAT. It seems to me that you took the test 4 times, but really only studied for it properly once. In my book that means you only took the test once. So, you really shouldn't get down about your performance because you've really only taken it once. I helped a friend of mine go from 620 to 720, so I think you're capable of the same thing.

Send us more details about your score. Also, the GMAT guide luckyswan mentioned is below in my sig. Check it out, it may help you organize your studies.

Remember, stay positive, it's only a test :)

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

I have decided to appear for GMAT this August. As a starting point, I gave GMATprep test 1 and got Q47 V17 (Total only 540) :(. I know it was without preparation but still this is a very low score. I feel very disappointed. I don't know how to prepare for verbal.

I wanted to get a decent score like 680 to 700. But right now this seems impossible for me.

Please guide me based on your experience.......I need your help.

Hi all,

I have decided to appear for GMAT this August. As a starting point, I gave GMATprep test 1 and got Q47 V17 (Total only 540) :(. I know it was without preparation but still this is a very low score. I feel very disappointed. I don't know how to prepare for verbal.

I wanted to get a decent score like 680 to 700. But right now this seems impossible for me.

Please guide me based on your experience.......I need your help.

Going by Quant score, it seems that you wouldn't need to worry much about Quant-that's the good news. The bad news is that 17 is a very bad score on the Verbal section and you'll have to have everything right-right strategy,right schedule and right books.

I have just given some tips in another post on how to improve on the Verbal section. Just go through it .You will find it helpful

http://www.www.urch.com/forums/gmat/128742-just-started-preparing-gmat.html

In addition to the pointers in the link above ,I'd suggest that you get into the habit of reading. Read newspaper editorials and try to read quality text. That will really help you improve your ability to comprehend complex text. Keep us posted above your progress and let us know if you need any help.

• 2 years later...