Urch Forums

770 (Q-50/V-45) -- Satisfied:)

beast666

Hi all

Took the GMAT today and scored a 770. Am very excited about my score though it still hasn't sunk in yet :)

Reached the test center 45 mins early and they started me off with the test 30 mins before my allotted time since a system was free. Settled nicely into the AWA which went like a breeze. Took a comfort break then and started with Quant. Was a little nervous in the initial few questions but then settled into a rhythm. Had an energy bar in the next break and started with verbal. Finished the section 10 mins early and clicked on Report scores. Was overjoyed to see a 770 on the screen:D

A few things to note:

1. This site is great. If you are on this forum you are already ahead of the game.

2. Math on actually GMAT is much easier than Manhattan tests and of the same level as Kaplan. I got 2 questions from Perm. & Comb./Prob.

3. Verbal is inline with the practice materials and there were no surprises

5. You have to go in very confident that you can score very high. The GMAT is a big test of your temperament

6. Like others have said what you do on the day prior to the test day does not matter as long as you come in relaxed.

Practice test scores

Spent the last 3 weeks before the GMAT just taking practice tests.

Kaplan Test 1 - 720

Kaplan Test 2 - 760

Princeton Free test - 740

Veritas Free Test - 770

MGMAT Test 1 - 740

MGMAT Test 2 - 760

MGMAT Test 3 - 780

MGMAT Test 4 - 770

GMAT Prep 1 - 770

GMAT Prep 2 - 760

GMAT Prep 1 (Retake) - 780

GMAT Prep 2 (Retake) - 780

Practice material used

Used the following for both quant and verbal

- OGs 10,11,12

- OG Verbal & Quant review 2nd edition

- Kaplan Advanced

Additionally used the following material for verbal:

SC

- MGMAT SC Guide - The best book for SC as is universally acknowledged by all

- Aristotle Sentence Correction Grail - Found this very useful for SC, specially for revising the concepts and what works on the GMAT and what doesn't. It is like a smaller version of MGMAT SC Guide with an idiom list that is actually better than Manhattan's..

CR

- Powerscore CR Bible - again the best book unanimously

- Manhattan CR Strategy Guide - manhattan has really nice content in all areas

- Some LSAT practice tests

RC

- Manhattan RC Strategy Guide

- RC99 (set of 99 passages across 3 difficulty levels) : Helped improve my comprehension skill as I become familiar with passages from several areas. The passages and questions are very representative of the GMAT.

I was always depending on Verbal as my stronger area so worked very hard on improving the same.

If anyone has any specific questions I would love to answer the same. Have been around on this site but never really posted much.

Cheers!

Hello,

Congratulations on your great score and good luck with the application process. I was wondering if you would mind sharing your user id/password for MGMAT...I am thinking about buying them but would be happy to send you some money via piapal if you are willing to share. Let me know.

Hey beast666 ... many many congratulations on your great score .....

Could you please let me know about RC99? From where did you get that?

Thanks,

Mohit

Thanks pal.

Someone on another forum who had got a very high score on the GMAT had recommended RC 99 to me. Its by some company called Aristotle Prep. It has 99 passages graded into 3 difficulty levels. The best thing is that each passage has only 3-4 questions unlike the OG and they are pretty good representative of the GMAT. Their SC Grail book is also very useful btw.

Here are the links to the books. EDIT BY MODERATOR

RC99

SC Grail

Good luck with ur prep.

Edited by wasleys
Copyright issue

• 1 month later...
Congratulations! That's a mind blowing score. You have really tamed the beast.

Can you please tell me how would you compare the difficulty level of the GMAT with that of the GMATPREP

Thanks!

I think that the GMATPREP tests are quite to an extent representative of the actual GMAT. I found the Verbal section to be a tad difficult than the ones in the GMATPREP software especially the Sentence Correction questions were quite close and you really needed the ability to eliminate one option and then select the other. However,I think that since I was performing well on the test, most of the questions I was getting were from the 700+ category and hence I found some of them a little challenging.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Brent i complrted my OG , KAPLAN 800 & working with KAPLAN MATHS WORKBOOK & VERBAL WORKBOOK but still having a curosity in my mind that what type of questions will come in the exam .

I posted 4 mails to whom score above 770 to share exam experience but i did not get ny reply from the students . So i am requesting 2 u is there any person from INDIA wHo recently or in past 6 months exam with whom i can share the things ...............

Hi Brent i complrted my OG , KAPLAN 800 & working with KAPLAN MATHS WORKBOOK & VERBAL WORKBOOK but still having a curosity in my mind that what type of questions will come in the exam .

I posted 4 mails to whom score above 770 to share exam experience but i did not get ny reply from the students . So i am requesting 2 u is there any person from INDIA wHo recently or in past 6 months exam with whom i can share the things ...............

Hi SamArora,

Sorry, I don't know anyone in India that matches that description.

All the best,

Brent

• 3 months later...
Congratulations on the great score. I have just started my preparation and was wondering when should I book my GMAT ? I mean I am a little complacent kind of guy and I think that I'll be charged up if I book a GMAT appointment and on the other hand, I don't want to rush and take the GMAT without being sufficiently prepared

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Congratulations on the great score. I have just started my preparation and was wondering when should I book my GMAT ? I mean I am a little complacent kind of guy and I think that I'll be charged up if I book a GMAT appointment and on the other hand, I don't want to rush and take the GMAT without being sufficiently prepared

The best thing to do is to balance both the things- book your GMAT date after you are into your preparation for 2 months because by that time you would get a good assessment of your skills and competency and you can take a call after taking a full length test

• 11 months later...
The best thing to do is to balance both the things- book your GMAT date after you are into your preparation for 2 months because by that time you would get a good assessment of your skills and competency and you can take a call after taking a full length test

For me it would be the other way round. I have booked my GMAT appointment so that I stay focused on my goal otherwise i will invariably end up deferring things till eternity