Urch Forums

Problem with GRE regsitration: 190$ charged thrice !!

kush391

hi..

I was registering for GRE yesterday, online.

Due to some error of the ets site, my registration did not get completed the first two time and I was linked back. So, I was made to enter the details of my credit card twice.

Finally, I started filling the form all over again and filled the card details again.

This time the validation was successful and I got the confirmation email and the other details.

Notably, I got this confirmation email only once. But when I checked my card account, it shows 190$ being charged thrice. Twice for the failed attempts as well in which all i got was an error, no confirmation mails or any sort of registration done.

I called Prometric India. They asked if I got the confirmation email once or more. They then assured that the extra money would be refunded within a week.

I also mailed ETS. They are telling that they havent accepted the money but surprisingly my bank here, shows the transaction. ETS has asked me to send/fax the card statements.

Kindly let me know if this has happened with anyone you know or if you can advise me in the matter. I trust ETS in that they wont do these sorts of things. But am really tense at the moment. :whistle:

Thanks a lot

Kushagra

@mods: apologies for posting it in a wrong topic, but I cant find any other better area. Thanks.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...

I was trying to book a gre slot on 13 june 2014 by using my STATE BANK OF INDIA debit card but the transaction failed and i recieved no confirmation email from ets. when i checked my bank balance $195 was debited twice from my bank account.

Kindly help what should i do in this case?

Will the amount be refunded automatically?

I was trying to book a gre slot on 13 june 2014 by using my STATE BANK OF INDIA debit card but the transaction failed and i recieved no confirmation email from ets. when i checked my bank balance $195 was debited twice from my bank account.

It has happened with me as well, although I was using HDFC bank credit card and $195 have been deducted only once on 15th June 2014. I mailed ETS(gre-info@ets.org) stating the details of the transaction and they replied asking the statement of credit card, and since hdfc has confirmed that the transaction happened, I have mailed them a pdf version of my credit card statement which has the transaction listed with date and description.

I am waiting for ETS' reply on this, their mail said that it could take upto four business days.

A word of advice: Next time try registering with an ICICI bank visa card (preferably credit), I came to know that these have the highest success rate for GRE registration.

It has happened with me as well, although I was using HDFC bank credit card and $195 have been deducted only once on 15th June 2014. I mailed ETS(gre-info@ets.org) stating the details of the transaction and they replied asking the statement of credit card, and since hdfc has confirmed that the transaction happened, I have mailed them a pdf version of my credit card statement which has the transaction listed with date and description.

I am waiting for ETS' reply on this, their mail said that it could take upto four business days.

A word of advice: Next time try registering with an ICICI bank visa card (preferably credit), I came to know that these have the highest success rate for GRE registration.

First of all thanks for your reply ankit.

I had also mailed them the statements of my debit card as pdf attachments but to my shock i got a reply from them that to respect user privacy they do not accept credit card statements.

so i have also called them as well they assisted me by saying that the money would be refunded automatically within seven days. i will wait for around seven days and see if the money is refunded back, else ill contact them again.

please do update me if you get a different reply or your money is refunded back.

you can call them at 0008001004072

First of all thanks for your reply ankit.

I had also mailed them the statements of my debit card as pdf attachments but to my shock i got a reply from them that to respect user privacy they do not accept credit card statements.

so i have also called them as well they assisted me by saying that the money would be refunded automatically within seven days. i will wait for around seven days and see if the money is refunded back, else ill contact them again.

please do update me if you get a different reply or your money is refunded back.

you can call them at 0008001004072

Hi Marcus,

Here is the mail text , ETS(gre-info@ets.org) sent me with reference to the my initial enquiry about transaction, this email was sent to me on 16 Jun 2014

"Dear Ankit Kanchan,

Regarding your inquiry:

Our records indicate that payment has not been received for the service you requested. If your records indicate otherwise, please follow the instructions below for the appropriate payment method.

Payment by credit card or PayPal

If payment was made using a credit card or PayPal, please provide the following information in your reply email:

• Your name

• Reason for inquiry: (duplicate charge, failed registration, etc.)

• Credit card or PayPal account holder’s name:

• Transaction date(s):

• Amount(s):

• Payment type: (Visa®, Mastercard®, American Express®, JCB® or PayPal)

• Sequence number/last four or email address (PayPal only):

• Any additional information or proof of payment that you can provide (optional)

Your information will be reviewed upon receipt of your reply. Please allow up to four business days for a response.

".

They do take credit card details(either statement or list of transactions issued by your bank) as a proof , I had called Gre Support India(0008001004072) on 18th June 2014 and explained the case to them and also mentioned that I have sent my CC transaction details list to them(I responded to this mail on 17th Jun 2014), to which they replied that it's ok and gave me a timeline of Friday 20th June EOD.

The reason they won't accept statements as a proof could be that, pdf version of statements are often password protected and it is wrong for them to know your personal bank statement password, imho. Also, I suppose you are carrying out all your email communication with gre-info@ets.org too.

I will surely update when I receive a satisfactory response from them.

Hi ankit,

i have not received back my money till now. I have emailed again the payment details to them on 19 june 2014 but i have not received any response till now.

They have told me to wait.

please tell me is it ok to email them the scanned copy of bank passbook and a scanned copy of debit card ministatement which i have emailed them earlier also but they have responded back by saying to maintain user privacy we do not accept credit card statements. when i again contacted them back on 19 june they said to me its ok to give just the following details about payment-

• Your name

• Reason for inquiry: (duplicate charge, failed registration, etc.)

• Credit card or PayPal account holder’s name:

• Transaction date(s):

• Amount(s):

• Payment type: (Visa®, Mastercard®, American Express®, JCB® or PayPal)

• Sequence number/last four or email address (PayPal only):

• Any additional information or proof of payment that you can provide (optional)

This time i have not attached any scanned copy and have only emailed the details to them.

Kindly help me what should i do?

what did u attach as scanned copy of payments?

and did u get any feedback email when your money was refunded back from ETS kindly help!!!

same thing has happened with me as well i had registered for my gre test on 25th june twice the amount was debited from my account and i hav received only 1 confirmation e-mail...from den i m continously calling the ETS people... i hav provided dem with the entire details of my bank transaction and the card details yet i havnt received any reply...m tensed, i hope i get the refund asap :crushed:

same thing has happened with me as well i had registered for my gre test on 25th june twice the amount was debited from my account and i hav received only 1 confirmation e-mail...from den i m continously calling the ETS people... i hav provided dem with the entire details of my bank transaction and the card details yet i havnt received any reply...m tensed, i hope i get the refund asap :crushed:

No reply here too but it's been just two days...Let's hope they refund..

hi marcus im also facing same problem using sbi debit card i tried 3 times and got failed but the money got cut 3 times 3*11,905/- :culpable::culpable::culpable:

i had seen that u have faced the same problem. How u got ur money back can u help me ??

hi marcus im also facing same problem using sbi debit card i tried 3 times and got failed but the money got cut 3 times 3*11,905/- :culpable::culpable::culpable:

i had seen that u have faced the same problem. How u got ur money back can u help me ??

i got my money back on 14 july 2014. Dont worry u will get your money back. First contact ETS, give them your transaction details. If ETS gives u a reply that they have received no funds then most probably the transaction failed. In that case the best thing to do is to file an online complain at the SBI CMS online complaint/ feedback portal under ATM related issues...selecting Payment gateway related issues as sub option...giving all the details like transaction id, amount...etc...

if the money is with the bank than it would be refunded back within 3-4 working days. In my case ETS received no funds so i followed the same process and money was refunded back. Both SBI and ETS are very good organisations so don't worry u will get ur amount refunded back.

In future try HDFC ,American express or ICICI credit cards for gre examination fee payment. And before doing online transaction kindly ensure that your credit card allows international transactions.

Hope this helps!!!

• 1 month later...
Hi, I tried registering for the GRE exam on 3rd September ,i was charged twice for the exam but received confirmation mail only once.I mailed the gre people but no reply till now..after calling them i received a case number and no further information.Can you please guide me to what else i can do.The bank people say that the money has been charged ,i am using hdfc bank credit card?

• 5 months later...

Hi,This is Mary from Hyderabad.I was registering for GRE online on 26/02/15 for a slot on 18/03/15.when i paid the GRE fee through my sbi debit card i got the following message "We are unable to process your order with the payment information you provided. To try again using a different payment method, please click on the link below." that is what i received while registering. Twice the money was deduced from my account (INR 12,404.12+12,404.12) on 26 feb 2015 .And again without knowing that my money got deducted before i have tried booking my

GRE slot on the very next day ( 27/03/2015) through my debit card but i got the same message that "We are unable to process your order with the payment information you provided. To try again using a different payment method, please click on the link below." that is what i received while registering. Again the money was deduced from my account (INR 12,354.95) on 27 feb 2015 didn't receive any confirmation. how can i get the money back and the information about my slot.please help me out guide me what to do..........am very very much worried..........wat should i do .... do i need to consult sbi bank and ets?

Hi, I tried registering for the GRE exam on 3rd September ,i was charged twice for the exam but received confirmation mail only once.I mailed the gre people but no reply till now..after calling them i received a case number and no further information.Can you please guide me to what else i can do.The bank people say that the money has been charged ,i am using hdfc bank credit card?

Hi Rashikamishra....

Iam facing the same problem right now ...... did u received your money back?what did u do?whats the exact process?

Hi,

I got the refund in 3 weeks. Mailing them wont help.You have to call the customer care to record a complaint. You can call the toll free number 000-800-100-4072 for India.Don't worry you will get the refund but it may take 3-5 weeks.

As for the registration,if you don't get a confirmation mail,then it is incomplete .So hurry and call the customer care soon to get the refund asap and do register again.