Sponsored Ad:

Thread: GRE: Quant>790, Verbal>500 (Experience you may find helpful)

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

GRE: Quant>790, Verbal>500 (Experience you may find helpful)

Sponsored Ad:
    So, its my turn to write my GRE experience!

Well, first I want to say 'thank you' to test magic forum, specially the thread "Just finished My GRE". Here I have learned a lot, really lot.

My preparation details:
    Verbal: 1. Knew all 4000+ words of Barrons. (It did not paid me fully due to the strategic faults of mine, I will discuss it later portion of this post. )
    2. Done all 27 verbal xm of Bigbook.
    3. Done analogy bible

Quant:
    1. Nova (Very good)
    2. Barrons (Ok, will take at best 7 days(3 hour in a day) to solve )
    3. Kaplan (Just difficult and modest type maths)
    4. Dr Raju site( Very important, Just go to Quant Database, these are very similar to real test)

My Mock test result:

1. PowerPrep: First One: V-580, Q-800
    Second One: V-600, Q-780
    2. Kaplan: 1. V-520, Q-710
    2. V-530, Q-790
    3. V-520, Q-710
    3. Princeton: 1. V-680, Q-780
    2.V-560, Q-780
    4. Barrons: 1. V-580, Q-710
    2. V-580, Q-760

Do not try 800 score.com, its below the standard in either verbal or quant.

From my personal view only powerprep can give you accurate Quant score. Other's Quant are totally bogus, they are outdated. So if you get low score in quant section of other than pp dont bother.

So, I was expecting V>550-600 and Q>790-800. But something happened and I was doomed in verbal section. First I got the Quant. I found them moderate difficulty. Some guys talk that ets is continuously making this section difficult . Although, after taken the test I do not think so. I was expecting 800 in that section. 790 may be due to some silly mistakes. Beware about that.

The next section was verbal. First three questions were ok. But I was socked to see the 4th one. It's an antonym, and out of barron's 4000+ words. I was sure that none of the antonym would be beyond barron. So, it was certainly a shocker. And I further socked later when I got two more antonyms out of Barrons. I knew something bad is going to happen. The SC were long and intrigued, took long time to solve. I knew the first 10 questions are important. So, possibly I spend 14 minutes on them. This was the first mistake I commenced, unlike the mock I took in my home. Remember the first ten is important. Ok, but do not waste so much time on them. Basically those were antonym, SC and analogy. If you want to score 550-600+ you have to read the passage carefully at least once. If you waste too much time remembering the CAT thing you will not be able to read those passage like me. In 21 question I got my 110 line second passage with 7 minute left. I quickly(!) cover q21 to q 25 in three minutes, gust guess game, I think none of my given ans were right. While 4 minute in hand I got another passage with 2 questions, I just blindly answered them thinking I am out of time. While done the verbal section I was exhausted and could not possibly get even 700 if another quant would come,although that did not happen. So, what I have learned is that
    1. Verbal section is sometimes matter of luck, you can get 3 antonym word uncommon out of 6-7 antonym even gathering a solid 4000+ word vocabulary
    2. Dont dawdle too much with first 10 questions in order to get a good score
    3. Remain calm in the exam. If anyhow you got excited, you will be freaked out and possibly ruin the entire test.
    4. Test in home and test is test center is totally different issue. Good score in home mock test can not always justify your capability. You have to be good on test day.

Now give me some suggestions:
    First will I retake the GRE?
    I want to go for PhD degree in CS. I am from the top rank Engineering University of our country with 75.5 percentile. Have 1.5 years work experience in software industry and one semester teaching experience in an University. I have applied some middle tier university like University of Memphis, Florida International University,Texas-el paso, University of Nebraska Linkon.

With this gre and 100 TOEFL score will I get funding in PhD in these universities?

Good post? Yes | No
    Hi...
    Thanks for your experience... would certainly help me for my exam...
    Could you pls recall what were those 4 new words out of barrons... Were they out of Bigbook verbal questions as well???

Good post? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by spardha View Post
    Hi...
    Thanks for your experience... would certainly help me for my exam...
    Could you pls recall what were those 4 new words out of barrons... Were they out of Bigbook verbal questions as well???
    congratulations!!!!!!
    i have mine on november 4th..very tensed..

truth`s somewhere here ntorokeldiev's Avatar

Good post? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by angella khanna View Post
    congratulations!!!!!!
    i have mine on november 4th..very tensed..
    mine is on november 1st in Almaty, Kazahstan ~

Good post? Yes | No
    hey, congrats dude
    you should be able to get in to the programs you mentioned. I also suggest you go out for

Stony Brook University
    University at Buffalo
    Drexel University in Philadelphia
    University of Delaware
    Iowa State University
    Brown University
    University of Illinois Chicago
    University of Piittsburgh

good luck

Within my grasp!

Good post? Yes | No
    I wonder if ETS goes through the Barron's list and creates questions with words that are not on the list (if I was ETS, that is what I would do).

Paul

Good post? Yes | No
    what other material do you sujjest in vocab? to be 100% sure that we wont get any strange words.

Thread Information