1450( 800q + 650v)

adonis

Hi folks

Im new in here. Here are the details of my GRE

Total - 1450

Verbal - 650

Quant - 800

CG - 3.52/4.0 or more relevant 73%

Am looking at schools that offer MS in DSP, Avionics, Control Systems or network security. Need help with shortlisting.

All those chaps who wanna take up their GRE, feel free to contact me and ask any specific queries u've got.

Hi folks

Total - 1450

Verbal - 650

Quant - 800

Am looking at schools that offer MS in DSP, Avionics, Control Systems or network security. Need help with shortlisting.

All those chaps who wanna take up their GRE, feel free to contact me and ask any specific queries u've got.

hi,

it wud be grt if u cud share ur quant exp with us ,i hear these days quant sections are tuff.

also pls let me know how you calculated ur GPA..any specific conversion scale ..?

thanx in advance

dj

The prelims.

The GRE is an easy exam compared to other Indian exams like the CAT etc., but it too needs a certain finite time for preparation. I’ll fix that up at three months from what the guys have said and from personal experience. The GRE is one exam where understanding the exam is more important than the exam itself. By that I mean the system has to be understood thoroughly before you guys even start preparing. Specific details such as section content, duration, syllabi, marking scheme etc., if known prior to your start of preparation might influence your preparations a great deal. Details like “there’s a penalty on the final score of an unfinished section” might be very vital when you take the test. You can avoid poring over “Wren and Martin” or “F.T. Woods” because there’s no grammar section in the GRE. All that if u make it a point to know how the GRE works before you guys even register. Spend sufficient time browsing the ETS and related sites to have a first person’s understanding. You might get advice from ‘n’ no. of ppl, but there’s nothing like clearing your doubts yourself.

All those guys who are planning to take the GRE in the near future make sure you accommodate a host of other factors apart from the preparation time required in deciding the test date (I’m not talking about numerology here ;-)). Factors like application deadlines, the time ETS takes to send your scores, the time your university takes to furnish transcripts, the deadlines for financial assistance applications, the time required to shortlist universities and elementary details like how soon the courier guys can have ur apps. sent should be thought of before you take up the exam. That’s because most of the guys have a tendency to get their reco. letters and SOP ready only after they take their exams and if you postpone your test date close to the application deadlines you might do a shoddy job with your SOP and recos. which otherwise could have been done well given sufficient time.

Re - establish all those long lost contacts (i.e.) relatives and friends who stay in the US. It’s a known fact that guys there know much more about the place than we do. If they can’t help with funding or short listing, they could at least tell you the survival parameters of a particular place.

That’s all I can think of the preliminaries rite now. If there are any specific queries feel free to ask.

Cheers

The Quant section

“The quant section of the GRE can be cracked by any smart high – school kid” is the notion prevailing. Wake up guys, the ETS has tightened its noose on the quant section. I’m not telling this to intimidate you; it’s just a word of caution for u to allot sufficient hours of preparation time for quant.

Doing the math review from the powerprep CD with emphasis on the DI section will suffice as far as the preparation is concerned. A cool head at the exam center is all that stands between you and 800 in the quant section. Barron’s will be of sum help coz it gives sum neat tips on how to exploit each pattern of questions to your benefit. Non math students (that was a crude way of saying humanities & arts students) can do stuff from R.S Agarwal just in case they feel uncomfortable with their degree of preparation.

DATA INTEPRETATION

You need to spend some time in understanding basic terms in statistics like range, median, mode, standard deviation etc. which will be useful for the DI section. DI is one area where the schools down in India don’t emphasize much on. So, you hafta do DI related questions. Barron’s is good. But the BIG BOOK of GRE is the best. Spend more time learning the techniques rather than do a lotta problems using ur own.

GEOMETRY

It’s one of the easiest section, but these days more questions relating to circles and polygons are being asked. So learning sum basic formulae like “sum of internal angles of a polygon=?” and “area of sector, segment =?” would be of great help.

WORD PROBLEMS

Word problems too are easy, but again ETS gives u huge word problems where u’ll hafta deal with more calculations than applying ur brains to it. So the key factor is TIME. Check the time remaining always.

Note: Quite a few problems on “Probability”, “Permutations and Combinations” and “Multiple ratios” are asked, so learn’ ‘em.

ARITHMETIC COMPARISON

You get questions where u’ll hafta be careful with the range of values that the given no. can take, especially those lying between 0 & 1 and negative numbers.

So, given any problem, the first thing u gotta check is whether the no. can take negative values or if it lies between 0 & 1 and proceed with the problem.

I guess tht’s all abt the quant section. Time is the most important factor these days, so make sure u complete the section on time.

More later

Cheers

The Verbal Section

The verbal section is one of the most unpredictable but enjoyable sections of the GRE. The RC section is still a taboo for many of the fellars but it’s not impossible and with sufficient practice, it can be one of the most enjoyable.

Barron’s seems to be the bible for many of the guys but a more helpful book towards the end of your preparation can be the BIG BOOK. Why? Because, the BIG BOOK is published by the ETS, has standard tests, all the tests are of the same difficulty level, has clear answers without any ambiguities and most of all, is the panacea for all those who dread the RC section.

RC section

The RC section can be called the easiest in its own terms. The only drawback with the RC section is the time it takes to complete one. So, with sufficient practice, u can make a mockery of the RC section. In fact in my exam, I had answered 2 wrong (In all I had only 5 wrong answers) out of the 8 RC questions asked and those too were pertaining to specific details from the passage. Guess I suffered from short term memory loss ;-).

The best way to crack the RC section is to practice. And the best way to do it is from the BIG BOOK. That’s coz, the passages from the BIG BOOK have high standards and they have nice answers. So by the time u complete 10 tests in the BIG BOOK, u will see a marked improvement in your level of handling RCs. Reading good stuff too helps increase your speed. Editorials from top dailies can be read. It serves a three fold purpose. One – u can increase your reading speed. Second – you get to learn the usage of sum standard words in the English language. Third – u get updated on current affairs and an expert’s view of ‘em. This will hardly take 10 minutes of your time.

Please read the passage before you try and answer the questions and come back to it after reading the questions. Fast repetitive reading is better than trying to work out the answers without reading the passage entirely.

The RC sections can make or mar ur Verbal score. That’s because they are time consuming and if it’s a difficult one, u’ll be unable to answer all the questions pertaining to it. So check things like how long the passage is and how many questions from that particular passage are asked. Say, the 23rd question is a 100 line long passage but has only two questions and u’re left with say only 5 minutes of time, I wud suggest u skip them and go on to answer the easier analogies and sentence completion questions that wud come later. By doing that ur score might come down by 20, but if u don’t complete the section there’s a huge penalty.

Use the scratch paper. This is one section where it will be of great help. And with questions regarding specific lines in the passage, make sure u read a couple of lines preceding and succeeding the numbers mentioned. This is because; there might be a shift in the mood of the idea which u mite tend to miss out if u don’t. Words like “although” etc. are very dangerous and hafta be taken care of.

ANTONYMS

Probably the fastest answerable questions in the exam. The answer is either know or dunno, guesses don’t help. Get ur Barron’s, get the master word list, but I suggest u get the meanings from a standard dictionary. Oxford is good, but more relevant to American usage is Webster’s. If u have PCs at home, get urself the dictionaries that are available on CDs like Encarta or Simon and Schuster. Makes learning of words fun and saves a lotta time that u might have to otherwise spend in browsing a paper dictionary to find a particular word. The best part is they give u the usage which u don’t find in concise paper dictionaries.

A very important thing to be noted here is, if at the exam u’re stumped by sum word that u’ve not seen before, don’t try guessing it. The fact is it can’t be guessed. ETS doesn’t give u points for educated guessing or getting a close answer. It’s either right or wrong. After a lot of speculation and even “inky pinky ponky” u might end up getting the wrong answer. So my suggestion is click any of the choices asap and move onto the next question. It is meaningless to spend or rather waste time guessing.

ANALOGIES

In total contrast to the antonym section, this is one where educated guessing helps. You cud work ur way back from the answers, eliminate uncorrelated answer choices, check the precise meaning that part of speech implies et al. So u cud spend sum time trying to guess the answers in the analogies section even if u don’t know the principal pair, but no “inky pinky ponky” please. Try to establish the meaning of the answer choices, their relation and answer the questions asap. Almost everybody scores well in this section. So rest easy.

Note: some common words with weird associations are being asked. So get to know all the possible avatars a particular word can take.

SENTENCE COMPLETION

This needs sum patience and a thorough understanding of the implied meaning. Please don’t be hasty. All those villains in “although”, “though”, “notwithstanding”, “but” etc. might deceive you into marking a wrong choice. So be patient, read the sentences thoroughly and try eliminating choices if still hazy.

More later. Feel free to ask for any help.

ciao

ANALYTICAL WRITING

A very important section to judge u as a person. The verbal and quant scores truly don’t reflect what u are. The writing section is a proper yardstick by which the univs. measure ur clarity of thought, in depth analysis etc. especially for humanities and arts students. It is very important in a psychological sense too. As this is the first section in ur exam, writing a good essay will boost ur morale and u’ll end up doing the other sections with high spirits. So make sure you create your own style of writing. A safe bet wud be to follow the standard templates of Princeton or Arco. Better coz makes life for u and the evaluating examiner, easy.

Avoid hackneyed expressions such as “a rolling stone gathers no moss” etc.

Shows lack of creativity and makes u sound OLD. Flamboyance has its own audience, but hyperbolizing and artificialness in the usage of words is treated with contempt. So, if u know a word, but dunno wat it exactly means, DON’T use it. A simple essay that is idea rich scores better than a drab one with bombastic language.

Do practice from the pool of issue topics and have ur essays graded. It’ll tell u which areas of writing u have to concentrate on. Use the scratch paper to marshal ur thots and spend at least 10 minutes planning ur essay. And plz avoid eye dialect in ur essays.

The “ plz, ur, u’re, wud , reco. ” all stop with the chat rooms. Gotta type Queen’s English in the exam. Spend 5 minutes skimming ur essay to look for such errors. Needless to say I did that. ;-)

Cheers

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Hi folks

Total - 1450

Verbal - 650

Quant - 800

Dear Adonis,

Great scores!!! Can u help me about the template of issue topic of AWA section? Will it be sufficient to read more issues from the pool of arco or something else needed?

Hi folks

Total - 1450

Verbal - 650

Quant - 800

:tup:awsum score man...

Juss that....i wanted to know....how many months for preparation did you give? as in three months - four months?

How many books did you refer? from where can u get the big book? any other books by ETS that would be useful? Do let me know...the exact duration of your preparation period .....

And congrats once again!:)