Urch Forums

337(V-167,Q-170)- Pleasantly Surprised with Verbal score!

nitesh100

So I finally took the GRE yesterday and I’m still feeling light headed, thanks to my verbal score. While I was expecting to score in the 160s, a 167 was definitely a very pleasant surprise.

Although I was very good in GRE Maths (I guess that goes for most engineers), GRE Verbal was really proving to be my nemesis. When I started my prep I was told by colleagues and experts alike to focus on vocab as the GRE vocab is really tough. Now I’ve always been good at mugging up so the first thing I did was cram the Barron’s word list. Took me about 2 months to mug up almost all of the near 3500 words, but mug them up I did!

Given this background it came as quite a shock when I scored a paltry 150 in my first mock test (Powerprep 2). While RC was definitely a problem coz I’ve never really been in the habit of reading, it was surprising that I was also making mistakes in Text Completion questions, and not because I didn’t know the word meanings but because I couldn’t properly comprehend the meaning of the sentence itself, especially in those long 3-blank TC questions.

This was sometime in the end of Jan, and I spent the next 2-3 months only focused on improving my comprehension skills. In addition to practicing RC passages, I also started doing a lot of general reading in terms of newspapers and magazines such as the Economist, the Hindu, etc. I strongly recommend that all of you who want to improve your verbal focus extensively on improving your comprehension skills. You will be surprised to see the impact this has on the so-called vocab questions (especially TC).

Two books that I found very useful in my prep were the Manhattan 5 pound book and the Aristotle GRE Verbal Grail. The Verbal Grail probably has the best RC coverage of all the books out there in terms of both theory and practice passages. For vocab I really don’t recommend mugging up 3000-4000 words. The only place where vocab actually helped me was in the Sentence Equivalence questions but they come the least on the exam. It’s better to refer to a shorter list of high frequency words as available in the Manhattan or Aristotle books. For tests I used Manhattan and Powerprep 2 and found them very good. In fact my scores on the last 2 or 3 practice tests were pretty much in sync with my actual GRE score.

Feels great to at least have one burden off my back. Now I’ll take the TOEFL next month and then start working on my SoP. Wish everyone on the forum luck with their prep!

Cheers.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Congrats on the aweesome score Nitesh!! Do you think shorter wordlists like Verbal grail/Manhattan ones would be enough to get 160 > on Verbal??

I think in the current format of GRE, focusing on rc is very important. Without focusing on RC, getting 160 and above is quite difficult.

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
I concur. RC is incredibly important in the current GRE and is very difficult to improve within a short period of time.

I'd add my two cents. RC may look like difficult to crack but if you can identify the structure of the paragraphs , the various types of questions etc, it becomes much easier to handle RC questions

• 5 months later...
I'd add my two cents. RC may look like difficult to crack but if you can identify the structure of the paragraphs , the various types of questions etc, it becomes much easier to handle RC questions

Thank you very much. The tips from all of you really helped me to score 326 on the GRE. I'll post my story soon here

• 4 months later...
So I finally took the GRE yesterday and I’m still feeling light headed, thanks to my verbal score. While I was expecting to score in the 160s, a 167 was definitely a very pleasant surprise.

Although I was very good in GRE Maths (I guess that goes for most engineers), GRE Verbal was really proving to be my nemesis. When I started my prep I was told by colleagues and experts alike to focus on vocab as the GRE vocab is really tough. Now I’ve always been good at mugging up so the first thing I did was cram the Barron’s word list. Took me about 2 months to mug up almost all of the near 3500 words, but mug them up I did!

Given this background it came as quite a shock when I scored a paltry 150 in my first mock test (Powerprep 2). While RC was definitely a problem coz I’ve never really been in the habit of reading, it was surprising that I was also making mistakes in Text Completion questions, and not because I didn’t know the word meanings but because I couldn’t properly comprehend the meaning of the sentence itself, especially in those long 3-blank TC questions.

This was sometime in the end of Jan, and I spent the next 2-3 months only focused on improving my comprehension skills. In addition to practicing RC passages, I also started doing a lot of general reading in terms of newspapers and magazines such as the Economist, the Hindu, etc. I strongly recommend that all of you who want to improve your verbal focus extensively on improving your comprehension skills. You will be surprised to see the impact this has on the so-called vocab questions (especially TC).

Two books that I found very useful in my prep were the Manhattan 5 pound book and the Aristotle GRE Verbal Grail. The Verbal Grail probably has the best RC coverage of all the books out there in terms of both theory and practice passages. For vocab I really don’t recommend mugging up 3000-4000 words. The only place where vocab actually helped me was in the Sentence Equivalence questions but they come the least on the exam. It’s better to refer to a shorter list of high frequency words as available in the Manhattan or Aristotle books. For tests I used Manhattan and Powerprep 2 and found them very good. In fact my scores on the last 2 or 3 practice tests were pretty much in sync with my actual GRE score.

Feels great to at least have one burden off my back. Now I’ll take the TOEFL next month and then start working on my SoP. Wish everyone on the forum luck with their prep!

Cheers.

Aiming to take the GRE in another couple of weeks and your suggestions have been very useful. I have done gre verbal book once. Do you recommend that I should go through it again or not

• 5 months later...
Aiming to take the GRE in another couple of weeks and your suggestions have been very useful. I have done gre verbal book once. Do you recommend that I should go through it again or not

Didn't get any reply but doing the questions and areas again where i was facing difficulty was helpful..have been able to improve

• 9 months later...