Urch Forums

How I Went From A 1750 to a 2370

tcut001

I have always been a big fan of all of the SAT blogs and discussions on the internet; they certainly helped me improve my score dramatically and I hope I can give back.

I received my SAT score a little while ago and I couldn't believe that I had scored a 2340. I have an older sister (Johns Hopkins) and an older brother (Cornell) so my family puts a lot of pressure on me to do well.

It took me a while to find the right study methods and guides, and I was a bit surprised that I couldn't find more information. In opinion, a lot of read I read didn't always help.

I thought I'd write some of the things that I learned that helped me out. I'd love to hear feedback and comments on them:

1. What I think is most important is that it doesn't matter where you begin, all that matters is how much you try. The SAT is standardized, so the questions all follow a pattern; anyone with enough practice can beat the test. I absolutely believe this.

2. Take 1 full test every week. Don't take more (you'll burn yourself out), but it's important to get your mind ready for the long exam.

3. When you take the test, imagine you are actually taking the official test. Take a clock to time yourself, go into an empty room, and do the test uninterrupted.

4. Make sure to record your scores each week to see your progression.

5. Every day (for the other 5 days because you need 1 day of rest), set out at least 2 hours to take practice SAT questions. I used the College Board SAT book, the Princeton review book >. The most important thing was that you become familiar with the questions.

6. Write down any confusions you have and review them! For one day a week, just review all of your wrong answers and any concepts you are confused about. was my review day for all of the questions I was confused about or had gotten wrong. I thought this was so important.

I hope my advice helps; the test is a pain but you can beat it. Best of luck to everyone and feel free to message me if you need any other advice.

Edited by Erin
Removed spammy link.
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
There are people who score above 2000 the first time they ever take the SAT (i.e., without studying at all); what really matters is one's starting score, one's goal score, one's innate test-taking aptitude, and perhaps most important, one's overall academic preparation. It's really impossible to say how many hours of study are required to raise your score to 2000, but six hours a day (for how many days? for how long?) every day seems excessive.

• 3 months later...

Do PR Kaplan Barron's are irrelevant to the actual SAT?

MY score is 1650 ( 360 reading - 680 math - 600 writing )

On What I focus my Study Re-solving real tests & official?

What I can do in 40 days of study?

PS. My last 4 trials I got the nearby same score.