Sponsored Ad:

Thread: Dec 2nd 220 - 273

Eager!

Good post? Yes | No
    Sponsored Ad:
    Listening - 26
    Structure/Writing - 13-29
    Reading Comprehension : 27

Well overall a pretty decent score - don't you think ?

My TOEFL Experience :
    Well the guys at the place were quite friendly. So the atmosphere is very good. Once you feel good you are bound to do fairly well. Istarted out with my TOEFL 15 minutes later than scheduled although I was early to the centre. But I did not panic because I knew my chance would come, although I did see a few guys panicking when they thought that their name was already called.

Now I started my test. Before starting I was asked to set the volume during the tutorial itself so I took the tutorial. It actually helped me ease my tension. The AC behind me was buzzing and the air was getting colder and colder which actually helped. Two reasons for that -

1) The colder it got the deeper my breathing got - a trait learned during my practice sessions of cricket in my early years which used to take place at 4 AM. Breath deeper and the you will not feel that cold. I have heard that breathing deeply also helps in blood circulation and helps you think more clearly.

2) The AC made a sound which felt like my house fan which is almost on 24hrs. Gave me a homely atmosphere.

Well even though I had all volumes set to max, the voice I heard was a wee bit lower than what I heard during the tutorials. Thus I found it much harder to concentrate. When I finished with the listening, I got the structure which was ok in my opinion. Then I got to reading comprehension - here I took my own time and still I managed to finish wiith 40 minutes remaining. I have to say that the passages were quite deep and confusing at times. Even then I managed recheck twice within that 40 mins. Overall 1:30 mins is a little too much for this section. But hey, why should I complain.

Once I finished with them all, I got the writing. Whew, I got an easy one, unfortunately i had too much to write. I wrote around 5 paragraphs. One intro, 3 support paras, and one conlusion para. Most of my practice had been on the computer which is next to a television which usually blasts all over the day and thus I was used to constant noise of hitting the keyboard, people walking etc. Thus the noise factor played very little role in my test.

To sum up - It was a good experience.

An Urch Guru Pundit Swami Sage

Good post? Yes | No

Great Score! Well Done

and add to it, you have a
    <h3>perfectly organized essay!</h3>

so you can hope for the max!
    Congrats!

Within my grasp!

Good post? Yes | No
    [/SIZE]WELL DONE!![/SIZE]

Noon

Within my grasp!

Good post? Yes | No
    Well done Gautam!

You seem to have done well with the essay. You know, I am really worried about the essay now. I wrote a GRE-Issue-style essay for the TOEFL, completely deviating from the intro, 3 examples and summary form. I even discussed various elements of classical philosophy. Don't know how well all this would go down with the TOEFL graders.

Eager!

Good post? Yes | No
    [/SIZE]<font face="Impact">Congratulations Gautam </font id="Impact">[/SIZE]

Eager!

Good post? Yes | No
    Originally posted by AmigoRo

Well done Gautam!

You seem to have done well with the essay. You know, I am really worried about the essay now. I wrote a GRE-Issue-style essay for the TOEFL, completely deviating from the intro, 3 examples and summary form. I even discussed various elements of classical philosophy. Don't know how well all this would go down with the TOEFL graders.
    Hey AmigoRo,

When I came out of the test venue, I felt I had a great essay. Looking back at it now, it gives me the shivers. I wonder if it was enough to get a 6 or 5.5. I also wonder if I have got it all right. How many mistakes have I made. These fears seem to build up and will keep going up till I get the official score.

I should be getting my GRE official score in some time now.

Gautam

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

Congrats Gautam !! you did a great job. I am very new to this forum. I found this site few days back & no doubt it is very helplful in TOEFL preparation.My TOEFL exam is on dec 9th, so I am really scared about that.

Thread Information