Sponsored Ad:

Thread: What are my chances?

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

What are my chances?

Sponsored Ad:
    Hi,

I was wondering what schools I should aim for (ranking wise) based on what my resume will look like soon...

Undergrad: double major at a UC, 3.1 GPA
    Work experience: 1.5 years at financial data startup. One small promotion, one larger promotion to lead a product.
    GMAT: 740
    Additional Courses: I plan on taking several math courses to boost my GPA & prove I would/should have done better and not had so much fun in undergrad... Is this a good decision? I'm not sure if it would improve my chances very much. Input greatly appreciated here.

What ranking of schools can I aim for? I'm hoping I would be able to land a top 20.

Thanks in advance!

Good post? Yes | No

Re: What are my chances?

Top 20, maybe if you also have some very solid letters of rec and had some other very notable accomplishments. Your GPA is clearly a weakness, and is going to be a cause for concern for some admin committees. You can probably easily get on top 50, but top 20 is just much trickier.

Good post? Yes | No

Have you tried the Predictor Tool at School Match Settings | Background Section | SchoolTorch ? My profile is also similar - I got the following list on the site for MBA schools, which seems a reasonable start .... (categories are from the site)

STRONG (top candidate):
    U of Connecticut
    u of Pittsburgh
    Southern Methodist

COMPETITIVE (above par, solid shot):
    Boston U
    Penn State
    Temple U

PAR (similar to other candidates):
    UT Austin
    Carnegie Mellon
    Cornell

POSSIBLE (need to address gaps):
    Columbia
    U Cal Berkeley
    Tuck

STRETCH:
    HBS
    Stanford
    Wharton

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by trev44 View Post
    Hi,

I was wondering what schools I should aim for (ranking wise) based on what my resume will look like soon...

Undergrad: double major at a UC, 3.1 GPA
    Work experience: 1.5 years at financial data startup. One small promotion, one larger promotion to lead a product.
    GMAT: 740
    Additional Courses: I plan on taking several math courses to boost my GPA & prove I would/should have done better and not had so much fun in undergrad... Is this a good decision? I'm not sure if it would improve my chances very much. Input greatly appreciated here.

What ranking of schools can I aim for? I'm hoping I would be able to land a top 20.

Thanks in advance!
    What is your nationality? I am asking since it might be of importance, at least if you are from an overrepresented applicant group, such as Indian applicants etc.

I see several potential weaknesses in your profile, such as the GPA, the limited work experience (most top schools prefer for applicants to have at least 2 years of work experience) and the fact that there doesn’t seem to be any achievements/promotions that would impress the adcom in your work history.

Therefore, I would not say top 20 is a sure thing but you could always try and top 30 should definitely be doable with a professional application.

Thread Information