Urch Forums

Re: Career options after Master's in Chemical Engineering

pennydorka

Hi All,

I am soon going to finish my Master's in Chemical Engineering with a specialization in Biosystems engineering (Biotech related). And am confused as to what my next step should be- a PhD. or a job followed by MBA?

One thing for sure, I am looking for a career that provides me an opportunity to grow professionally and intellectually. I understand that both pathways have their pros and cons. ANd I am trying to assimilate all of them right now.

My Questions/concerns...

1) Does doing a PhD. imply that I will be circling around research all my life? I might diversify in the field of research or climnb up the research group but I doubt if I will ever be part of a big multinational and be involved in the decision making process.

2) Can a Master's in Biotechnology with no work experience land me a consulting job? Is it possible to eventually start my own consulting company 8-10 years down the line? Or is it a better idea to do a PhD. (which is in the same field as my Master's)?

3) What if I do decide to do a job and then an MBA? Is it easy enough to pursuade companies to finance your education for MBA? Or it takes more than 3 years to convince them to sponser you in most situations? If I do an MBA I want to get it from one of the best B schools in N. America, so it is bound to be expensive.

4) How demanding is job as an MBA professional? WIll I get time for my family? My family is important to me, even though I am not committed yet, I plan to settle down in the next 3-4 years.

5) Could you suggest a realistic time-frame I should expect to do an MBA ihn? Keeping in mind that I don't really have finances for it right now, and hope my employers to help me with that? Or is taking a student loan a better idea?

6) I doubt if working in an inustrial environment after PhD. is laid-back ...probably the industry does set deadlines... what do you think?

7) Being a Chemical Engineer, I might be expected to do field jobs but I am not sure if I can do that kind of work more than two years in a row...I would then need to find a more stable job that provides innovation challenges rather than just shaping up my practical knowledge.

8) I am afraid work will become monotonous as a chemical engineer in the industry. Any feedback on that?

Please send in all the feedbacks that you can,

Thanks in advance.

1) if you don't have that research "bug" in you, don't do a PhD.

2) Depends on which school you are in, you can get a consulting job at say Mckinsey/Bain/BCG.

3) You can depends on which firm but you might not want to since it limit your choices after MBA. better just take the school loan

4) If you are looking to become a consultant then it is demanding with or without the MBA. If you care about your family, consultant job is not for you.

5) Get 3-4 years of WE then MBA will be best. And take a school loan

6) which industrial?

7) See #1. The choice NOW is between PhD and work - not 2 years later.

8) could be but then you plan on doing a MBA right?

• 7 years later...

Hey im also facing the same concerns like you ...do share if you finally decided upon something..:)

Hi All,

I am soon going to finish my Master's in Chemical Engineering with a specialization in Biosystems engineering (Biotech related). And am confused as to what my next step should be- a PhD. or a job followed by MBA?

One thing for sure, I am looking for a career that provides me an opportunity to grow professionally and intellectually. I understand that both pathways have their pros and cons. ANd I am trying to assimilate all of them right now.

My Questions/concerns...

1) Does doing a PhD. imply that I will be circling around research all my life? I might diversify in the field of research or climnb up the research group but I doubt if I will ever be part of a big multinational and be involved in the decision making process.

2) Can a Master's in Biotechnology with no work experience land me a consulting job? Is it possible to eventually start my own consulting company 8-10 years down the line? Or is it a better idea to do a PhD. (which is in the same field as my Master's)?

3) What if I do decide to do a job and then an MBA? Is it easy enough to pursuade companies to finance your education for MBA? Or it takes more than 3 years to convince them to sponser you in most situations? If I do an MBA I want to get it from one of the best B schools in N. America, so it is bound to be expensive.

4) How demanding is job as an MBA professional? WIll I get time for my family? My family is important to me, even though I am not committed yet, I plan to settle down in the next 3-4 years.

5) Could you suggest a realistic time-frame I should expect to do an MBA ihn? Keeping in mind that I don't really have finances for it right now, and hope my employers to help me with that? Or is taking a student loan a better idea?

6) I doubt if working in an inustrial environment after PhD. is laid-back ...probably the industry does set deadlines... what do you think?

7) Being a Chemical Engineer, I might be expected to do field jobs but I am not sure if I can do that kind of work more than two years in a row...I would then need to find a more stable job that provides innovation challenges rather than just shaping up my practical knowledge.

8) I am afraid work will become monotonous as a chemical engineer in the industry. Any feedback on that?

Please send in all the feedbacks that you can,

Thanks in advance.