Urch Forums

Major Problem

Majoring in Biology

I am a Sophomore right now and Ive heard that I would have a better chance majoring something OTHER than Biology but I am torn between Majoring for Biology/Minor in English or Double Major for Biology AND English or majoring in English and just still taking the Biology classes I have to take but taking the English classes I have to take as well. Which one would better my chances at getting a good med school? Would it help at all? I am just concerned.

• 1 year later...
I think that statistically, philosophy is the major with the highest rate of med school acceptance, but take into account the number of people applying to med school from each major, biology only has an abysmal acceptance rate because everyone applies, one of the things that pissed me off about college, drunk idiots who think that they can get into med school because they're bio majors. Anyway, as long as you are at the top of your program, it should not matter which major you do, a bio major doesn't hurt you.

• 6 months later...

Would a math major hurt you?

Possibly, just as a bio might: this is because GPA matters a lot and STEM (science technology engineering and math) tends to offer a much lower GPA than SLACS (social/liberal arts and communications sciences)

There also tends to be a math/science GPA component to med-school admissions so going past organic chemistry or cal II.

I would say do every bio/math/chem class to the 100% best of your ability and then do something you enjoy outside of 'biology' for your pre-med... say kinesiology :-)

Then study and take and take and study and retake and study and take that MCAT before you actually take it.