Urch Forums

Help regarding internship

samay1234

Hello there! I want to ask if you are a Canadian pharmacy licensee. If so, are you aware that Canadian pharmacists are exempted for 1000 hrs internship in Michigan? If you want to apply in MI first then transfer your internship hours or license to the state you want to stay. In that case you save 1000 hrs of internship. Just a suggestion.

I am also a canadian citizen who cleared FPGEC and planning to do internship in Florida. I also have an employer, owning a independent pharmacy ready to hire me . Right now, i am in the documentation process.I am waiting for a mail from the Florida board of pharmacy replying to my question of how to start my internship without having a SSN card first, then when i reach there i can apply for it. My employer is yet to send me the employment letter.Once i get the letter, i have to apply for TN visa.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Jaken, thank you for the suggestion! I'm also a Canadian pharmacist living in MA but I'm unable to find a preceptor for internship and planning to apply in MI.

One question for you: do you know if we have to make up the difference in internship hours when transferring the pharmacist licence from MI to MA as MI only requires 1000 hours of internship (which I get exempted as being a Canadian pharmacist) while MA requires 1500 hours?

I've tried contacting MA board of pharmacy & PCS MA licensing coordinator, but no one seems to be able to tell me the answer.

Hello Jaken, thank you for the suggestion! I'm also a Canadian pharmacist living in MA but I'm unable to find a preceptor for internship and planning to apply in MI.

One question for you: do you know if we have to make up the difference in internship hours when transferring the pharmacist licence from MI to MA as MI only requires 1000 hours of internship (which I get exempted as being a Canadian pharmacist) while MA requires 1500 hours?

I've tried contacting MA board of pharmacy & PCS MA licensing coordinator, but no one seems to be able to tell me the answer.

We are on exact same boat. Do you have FPGEC certificate yet? I am also having a hard time looking for internship in MA. I emailed PCS (Cathie)the other day to inquire abt the internship hrs. We only have to make up 500 hours of internship in MA. But she actually did not answer all my questions. She even confused me when she replied back to my 2nd email that I only need 300 more hrs and not 500 hrs. When I called MI to double check about score transfer, the guy was just rude to me. He told me why should I just take the NAPLEX in the state where I want to practice and it is stupid for me to do a score transfer. I did not want to talk to him any longer so I hang up. If you have any information please let me know too.

• 3 weeks later...
We are on exact same boat. Do you have FPGEC certificate yet? I am also having a hard time looking for internship in MA. I emailed PCS (Cathie)the other day to inquire abt the internship hrs. We only have to make up 500 hours of internship in MA. But she actually did not answer all my questions. She even confused me when she replied back to my 2nd email that I only need 300 more hrs and not 500 hrs. When I called MI to double check about score transfer, the guy was just rude to me. He told me why should I just take the NAPLEX in the state where I want to practice and it is stupid for me to do a score transfer. I did not want to talk to him any longer so I hang up. If you have any information please let me know too.

Sorry for the late reply Jaken cuz I was out of town. No I do not have FPGEC certificate yet but I have MA intern license already. Is it still necessary to get FPGEC Cert?

Regarding internship hours, I'm waiting for Cathie and MA Board to reply. At first I called MA Board to inquire about the number of hours needed if I am to transfer license from MI and the lady referred me to Cathie. I contacted Cathie and after 5 emails she sent my question back to the MA Board. They are asking me now how long I have been practicing in MI - seems like the hours of working as a pharmacist in MI may be a factor in determining whether you'll need extra internship hours in MA. It seems pointless to try to get licensed in MI then if extra hours are still needed in MA or if we have to practice a number of hours in MI before moving back to MA (I can't move because of family).

We only need to do 300 hours of internship if we are using our Canadian license according to the Policy 2000-02 Policy on Canadian Colleges/Universities of Pharmacy Education - license policy on Canadian graduates. Well that's also the toughest part cuz no one is hiring currently.

well if I hear anything else from Cathie I'll definitely let you know :)

Good luck to us!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

Could the members of this forum confirm if a Canadian citizen works on TN1 visa in USA, then is there any time commitment or contract sort of things with the pharmacy chain or independent pharmacies?

Please enlighten me as I am in a serious confusion if should I go for H1B visa or should I wait for my Canadian citizenship (i.e. TN1 visa), which is due in next 10-12 months. Basically there will be a delay of 5-6 months if I don’t go with H1B visa.

Please advise me as the company which has agreed to sponsor my H1B is putting lots of strict conditions. I have summarized few of them here:

§You understand and agree to complete the intern hours and sit for the licensure exams at the earliest available opportunity

§You agree and promise to work on a full time basis as a licensed pharmacist for a period of at least 3 years in the district/area where you are assigned. We cannot guarantee a specific location for your placement as a pharmacist but it will be in the same district where you will complete the required internship.

§You understand and agree that you will not be able to transfer to other cities/areas outside the district.

§You understand and confirm that you have not asked any other employer for H1B visa sponsorship.

§You understand that for the first 12 months there will be NO LEAVE OF ABSENCE available. There will be NO exceptions to this.

As you are aware, Company A is spending thousands of dollars to obtain the H1B visa for you and providing you with an internship opportunity. You agree and understand that Company A will suffer damages if you do not honor your commitments”

It will be much appreciated if you can confirm if these types of conditions are also applicable for TN1 visa for Canadian citizens. And also advise me according to you what’s the best option for me; H1B Vs TN1.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
Can you do NAPLEX before INTERN?

Hi Osman,

Pharmacists licensed in Canada are exempted from internship in Michigan as long as they provide proof of license and work experience in Canada (at least 1000 work hrs). I was just suggesting Canadian pharmacists who wants to practice in other states other than MI to apply in MI first then transfer the Naplex score to the state they want to work. In this case, they are able to take the Naplex first. If the state requires more than 1000 hrs, let us say 1500 hrs, then there is a possibility to only work 500 hrs internship. They have to check with their respective state board of pharmacy though.

Jaken