Urch Forums

Japanese passport not accepted for NCLEX identification

Erin

A friend of mine came from Japan last week to take the NCLEX in San Francisco. On the morning of the test, she arrived at the test center and showed her Japanese passport as her identification. They would not accept it because it did not show her name in Roman characters. She then showed her California driver license, which they wouldn't accept because it had expired.

She's not sure what she's going to do. The Japanese embassy told her that she might be able to get some form of official identification in English, but she has to investigate that further.

This all seems very unfair to me.

• 2 weeks later...

Her PASSPORT did not have her name in roman characters? I find that strange. All Japanese passports I have every seen contain Roman characters.... how would US immigration be able to enter her information?

Tino

Does she have an SSN? (She has a driver's license), maybe she can apply for an ID at the DMV (not a license but a check-cashing ID)... but she'll need a SSN I think.

If your friend gave her name in Roman Character to nursing board or NCLEX test center, then she need to show a valid ID in the same character to test center. That is the way they prevent cheating. Not only that, when ever you are away from you desk, you will be asked to scan you index finger print. NCLEX is a the most security test I ever have. How about you friend apply a new passport with her name in bothe Roman character and Japenese? In the way she need to carry new and old passports all the time.

• 4 weeks later...

Dear...

I don't really understand the whole story!... But I'm assuming that the japanese passport has " U.S. VISA " and Entry form "I-94" IN ENGLISH.

Also I would like to inform you that the visa has a colour photo on for the holder. SO it's cosidered a PHOTO ID.

May be your friend did't realize that fact.

Good luck next time.

Dr.M

• 4 months later...
A friend of mine came from Japan last week to take the NCLEX in San Francisco. On the morning of the test, she arrived at the test center and showed her Japanese passport as her identification. They would not accept it because it did not show her name in Roman characters. She then showed her California driver license, which they wouldn't accept because it had expired.

She's not sure what she's going to do. The Japanese embassy told her that she might be able to get some form of official identification in English, but she has to investigate that further.

This all seems very unfair to me.

should have English or Roman characters, did you see her passport to see if that is true?