Urch Forums

Graduation and Attrition Rates of European Business School Doctorate Programs

Jayzee

European business schools accept more students in their Business school doctoral programs as opposed to American Universities. However, they also have a higher attrition and lower graduation rate. Think of it as a funnel: More gets in, and less gets out.

Now, you shouldn't go into a Phd Program with negative or pessimistic thoughts. However, you will be a fool not to consider these factors when you are making perhaps the biggest educational decision of your life.

I have information about a couple of programs that I thought I'd share with you. Please note that my research is limited to aacsb accredited programs only.

Greboble Ecole de Management DBA (France): Very high attrition rates. Only 10-20% students are able to finish the program. In one year, they only had one graduate from a class of 13 students. (source: their website).

University of Surrey (UK): Graduation rates of 40-60% on average. (source: email exchange).

Please share your thoughts and knowledge in this regard.

That's very interesting. However, in my school, most "drop-outs" are foreign (non-communitarian) students who basically get funding from their own country and a visa for studying in the EU but are not highly motivated, so that may be something to take into account, especially since it is relatively easier to get in (but harder to get funding). Their training may also not be up to our standards. Local/European students have a higher graduation rate. Obviously, there are also many motivated and talented foreign students! It's just a few of them that are more interested in money and a visa...

Then there are the people, local or not, who just get into a PhD program because they don't know what to do with their lives, although it tends to be more common in humanities than business (since it is comparatively easier to get a job.) Just think that anyone in the top 30% who graduates from this school can go on to a PhD, and they still don't have enough of them.

Anymore info on French schools? or Bocconi?

The GEM DBA is a very bad example, it's mainly a program for executive. Furthermore, it's one of the worst doctoral program in France.

The main PhD Programs in France, if we exclude INSEAD, are ESSEC and HEC and have good attrition rate (more than 80%).

I heard it's very similar for RSM for example.