Sponsored Ad:
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A Question about a particular business PhD area to apply to !!

An Urch Guru Pundit Swami Sage

Good post? Yes | No
    Sponsored Ad:
    shootermcgavin7: Thanks so much for the tip. I will look it up.

doctoraldude:

The mathematical, statistical and computational dynamics and their resultant impact on organizational settings. :P Maybe I am stretched far too thin here. However, there are 2 research projects where I am currently involved. We are shooting for a publication in Management Science (accepted with major revisions) for the first on online social networks and virtual teams in an IT organization and for the second, on urban dynamics and marketing networks we already have 1 publication in press in IEEE Systems, Man and Cybernetics. I am the first author for both.

My professors are all applied mathematicians/information scientists and they cannot advise me on business school applications so I was wondering whether it was a viable option or not. Thanks.

Within my grasp!

Good post? Yes | No
    Within b-school, I think that the strongest overlap is with IS departments (the "online" part of your interest) and those with organizational theory leanings. On the latter, those might be organized within a management or perhaps strategy dept. Outside of b-school, there are some places with school of information departments (e.g., Berkeley, Michigan), and I think that some related work might be done there, though I am not intimately familiar with those departments.

Within my grasp!

Good post? Yes | No
    Yup, the closest overlap is in IS. But there's also some overlap with macro OB. CMU maybe a great place for your interests - they have strength in IS, plus there are faculty working on similar things in Tepper OB and Pitt-strategy.

Perhaps you could go about finding specific faculty who publish in those areas, and then check out where they are located ? (that's what i did anyway )

Good post? Yes | No
    Thanks guys for the tips. This really helped.

Eager!

Good post? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by Ancalagon The Black View Post

However, there are 2 research projects where I am currently involved. We are shooting for a publication in Management Science (accepted with major revisions) for the first on online social networks and virtual teams in an IT organization and for the second, on urban dynamics and marketing networks we already have 1 publication in press in IEEE Systems, Man and Cybernetics. I am the first author for both.
    Are you saying that you were asked to revise-and-resubmit to Management Science (or is it that you are shooting for revise-and-resubmit) If it is the former, congratulations. I am sure that you realize that you are now a very very strong candidate for top b-schools.

Good post? Yes | No
    The article has been accepted for publication with major revise and resubmit. I am co-authoring with 2 professors from ISI (although I am the first author as this is probably my MS thesis). Both are fellows of IEEE and have over 75 peer reviewed journal articles (mostly in ACM/IEEE Transactions). One of them is widely considered to be the guru in mathematical morphology in India if not elsewhere. The other works a lot in rough set theory. These are the applied math techniques which we used to analyze geometric variations in otherwise topologically invariant online social networks. The novelty is that this technique has never been used to analyze said networks and it gives really good results (as opposed to discerete event simulation and agent based modeling)

The trouble though is that I do not have some required math/econ courses like real analysis and econometrics (and have no additional way of taking them) although I am ranked first in class in my MS. I am not ranked in the top 5 in my undergraduate. Last time, I applied to some b schools and didn't get through to any. (although at that time I just had a 3 year bachelors degree) I did get an interview from Stern IS though but it didn't work out. Instead I got lucky at some computer science/information science programs.

In fact, I have another revise and resubmit in Management Science which is undergoing its 3rd revision for the last 1 year !! It is about the risk and uncertainty analysis of a heritage building restoration project. (also something not attempted before) This leads me to believe that journals seek novelty work which has not been attempted before. Maybe I am wrong. I am quite frustrated with all those revisions though.

Within my grasp!

Good post? Yes | No
    The trouble though is that I do not have some required math/econ courses like real analysis and econometrics (and have no additional way of taking them) although I am ranked first in class in my MS. I am not ranked in the top 5 in my undergraduate.
    Real analysis is plus at the top B-schools but is not a necessity and is more of a signal of your mathematical sophistication than a course you use frequently (outside a couple of areas of macroecon and statistical theory it is not really used at all). The research you worked on appears to be fairly mathematically sophisticated, so you should be fine on that front. For the stats prerequisite it does not specifically have to be econometrics. Any math stats course covering the basics of distributions, hypothesis testing and linear regression should be enough.

Not graduating at the top of your class in foreign country where the adcoms may not know so much about the school or your LOR writers definitely hurts you, but this hurdle can be and has been overcome in the past, especially by research experience/publications and strong LOR's, even if the adcoms don't know who your LOR writers are. Also, you are first in your class in your MS program, so that should make up for your undergraduate anyway.

Good post? Yes | No
    zshfryoh1:

Thanks a lot for the clarification with respect to econometrics. I do have the necessary statistics background.

I am doing my MS at the Indian Statistical Institute. This is regarded as one of the best schools in India - especially with respect to the quantitative sciences. In the past we have placed exceedingly well in top schools in the US including B-schools.

The current research which I am doing basically uses concepts of mathematical morphology, fuzzy set theory, rough set theory and fractal geometry in quantitatively characterizing geometric variations in topologically invariant online social networks and in analyzing urban sprawls.

As of the first semester, I am ranked first. Hopefully, I can keep it up but competition from the cohort is exceedingly tough !! Thanks for the support.

Eager!

Good post? Yes | No
    Congratulations. I'd suggest not to worry too much about what you cannot change. Most schools expect students to spend 1-2 years doing course work and they will probably judge that you are capable of doing the course work.

What will distinguish you are your paper submissions. As far as I know, revise-and-resubmit to Management Science is what PhD students shoot for when going to job market at the end of their PhD. If you already have that when applying to PhD, it should make you a very very strong candidate.

Of course, this does not gurantee admission at any top program. But top schools are looking *primarily* for research potential and if you apply to a decent set, I am sure that you will get into one of those programs.

If you are frustrated from revisions, imagine the frustration of rejection. An editor of a major journal told a personal story that when his first ever submission was rejected, he did not leave his home for two weeks. Consider yourself lucky that it was not rejected (of course, you put in hard work but many other very smart people also put in hard work in rejected papers).

You may want to check the work of Erik Brynjolfsson (MIT Sloan), Marshall Van Alstyne (Boston U), Sinan Aral (NYU Stern), and Wonseok Oh (McGill Desautels). BTW, Van Alstyne and Aral are Brynjolfsson's students. They are primarily econ-based IS researchers but have networks for recent research.

Best of luck with your applications and research career.

The article has been accepted for publication with major revise and resubmit. I am co-authoring with 2 professors from ISI (although I am the first author as this is probably my MS thesis). Both are fellows of IEEE and have over 75 peer reviewed journal articles (mostly in ACM/IEEE Transactions). One of them is widely considered to be the guru in mathematical morphology in India if not elsewhere. The other works a lot in rough set theory. These are the applied math techniques which we used to analyze geometric variations in otherwise topologically invariant online social networks. The novelty is that this technique has never been used to analyze said networks and it gives really good results (as opposed to discerete event simulation and agent based modeling)

The trouble though is that I do not have some required math/econ courses like real analysis and econometrics (and have no additional way of taking them) although I am ranked first in class in my MS. I am not ranked in the top 5 in my undergraduate. Last time, I applied to some b schools and didn't get through to any. (although at that time I just had a 3 year bachelors degree) I did get an interview from Stern IS though but it didn't work out. Instead I got lucky at some computer science/information science programs.

In fact, I have another revise and resubmit in Management Science which is undergoing its 3rd revision for the last 1 year !! It is about the risk and uncertainty analysis of a heritage building restoration project. (also something not attempted before) This leads me to believe that journals seek novelty work which has not been attempted before. Maybe I am wrong. I am quite frustrated with all those revisions though.

Good post? Yes | No
    Thanks a ton for the moral support. I will look at the research papers of all these professors.

It feels really frustrating for all these revisions. My professors and I have sent our paper to even Jean Serra (inventor of mathematical morphology whom my professor collaborates with, and knows very well) and he agrees that our equations are theoretically sound. However, the journal reviewers are not satisfied, primarily with our writing style and structure. I don't know what will happen with this !!

Moreover, I have another concern. Apparently, IS research in b-schools is on the decline and the research has shifted to i-schools. At this juncture, many schools take only 1-2 students a year or have stopped taking students altogether. I am also taking a look at the i-schools and I do see that such schools have some good research in social network research. However, I did want to get a PhD from b-schools for the prospects of getting a research position in another b-school with the tangible and intangible benefits.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information