Sponsored Ad:
See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Meritocracy in placement, admissions or both? Answer: Placement is Meritocratic.

Assumption Investigator

4 out of 4 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No

Meritocracy in placement, admissions or both? Answer: Placement is Meritocratic.

Sponsored Ad:
    Greetings,

In this post from years ago I questioned if it was possible to end up well placed out of a T100 school. Today I signed on to be an assistant professor of entrepreneurship at Washington State University in Vancouver Wa (same tenure requirements as Pullman, I am on faculty at the pullman department of MISE, etc.) after attending New Mexico State University. I had good GMAT scores and a marginal undergrad GPA (760/3.0). With that I was short listed at a number of universities, but chose to go to NMSU (despite it having a much weaker package and placement history) to work with a particular professor who I felt a great degree of fit with.

In the end the support, mentoring, and general collegiality of New Mexico State University was an amazing garden where I was allowed to grow toward, and was supported in, my scholarly vision. If you know who you want to be as a scholar, are able to seek out the mentorship and guidance of creative people, and are willing to put 80+ hours a week into honing your abilities as a researcher: then it is entirely possible to move up in this field. That said, I am entirely humbled by the offer as I have no doubt that many others were just as qualified for the position and in the end it was the ineffable sense of two-way 'fit' that lead to the final decision.

Work hard and carry on,

-Rohny

Original Post:

It would make sense to me that the best researchers end coming out of the most well regarded schools because said schools have the best training. On the other hand, it would also make sense to me that the best schools have the best placements because they attract those who are most capable of producing the best work.

So the philosoraptor's question is:

That is: given equal publication records and publication potential, what does going to a top 20 school mean vs going to a top 100 school?

A t100 might well make you work harder for your support, so maybe a the t100 w/ similar publications is actually the better student?
    Last edited by rsaylors; 10-22-2014 at 10:50 PM.

Good post? Yes | No
    The best professors tend to be at the best schools -- and their letters carry heavy weight when placing students into jobs.

Prestigious schools tend to attract the best graduates -- but we see a really interesting trend happening when schools like Rice and UCSD are so heavily-packed with top researchers because of other factors (location, program culture, etc.).

I don't think there's a real way to parse the philosoraptor paradox because we do typically see equitable matchings for top students going to top programs, etc.

Assumption Investigator

Good post? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by Behavioral View Post
    The best professors tend to be at the best schools -- and their letters carry heavy weight when placing students into jobs.

Prestigious schools tend to attract the best graduates -- but we see a really interesting trend happening when schools like Rice and UCSD are so heavily-packed with top researchers because of other factors (location, program culture, etc.).

I don't think there's a real way to parse the philosoraptor paradox because we do typically see equitable matchings for top students going to top programs, etc.
    Hum.. what are placements out of Rice and UCSD like? anyone know?

Good post? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by rsaylors View Post
    Hum.. what are placements out of Rice and UCSD like? anyone know?
    Neither has graduated a cohort yet.

My statements were about the programs attracting some exceptional programs while still being completely new and 'untested'.

Good post? Yes | No
    But yeah, if people are interested, I would be paying a lot of attention on those two schools in the near future to see how the graduates do.

An Urch Guru Pundit Swami Sage

Good post? Yes | No
    Endogeneity! I don't know the answer, and I don't know if it matters. The best schools get the best placements either because they have the best students or the best teacher or both.

Eager!

Good post? Yes | No
    Sounds like nature vs. nurture restated for academic placements so taking an interactionist view, likely part of it is applicants with incrementally better ability at top schools and incrementally better researchers teaching those individuals. I suppose prestige also plays a large role in academia but I believe that if you're good, then you're good and people will notice.

Within my grasp!

Good post? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by nadasurf View Post
    Sounds like nature vs. nurture restated for academic placements so taking an interactionist view, likely part of it is applicants with incrementally better ability at top schools and incrementally better researchers teaching those individuals. I suppose prestige also plays a large role in academia but I believe that if you're good, then you're good and people will notice.
    I think the bolded part is true, eventually. A good person from a middle of the pack school is going to have to work harder, longer to "make their bones" than someone from a top school. That great middle pack grad will eventually make it somewhere good, but it's going to take longer.

Within my grasp!

Good post? Yes | No
    Top schools, at least in marketing, seem to only hire each other's candidates. There have been great candidates (in terms of publications) out of lesser ranked schools who had no chance on the job market for the Stanford, Chicago, Northwestern, Wharton's of the world. Look at some of the recent University of Houston placements/ their vita.

Within my grasp!

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by yangyang2000 View Post
    Top schools, at least in marketing, seem to only hire each other's candidates. There have been great candidates (in terms of publications) out of lesser ranked schools who had no chance on the job market for the Stanford, Chicago, Northwestern, Wharton's of the world. Look at some of the recent University of Houston placements/ their vita.
    There is probably some truth to this; however, placement records reflect so much more than the school's prestige or training. I would put my money on a solid researcher from a Top 25 school who can sell his/her ideas over a solid researcher from a Top 5 school who lacks communicative polish.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information