Sponsored Ad:
See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How is the Job Market for Management PhD?

Good post? Yes | No

How is the Job Market for Management PhD?

Sponsored Ad:
    Hi folks

Quick question for those who are close to enter the job market...
    I got the impression, from those who were on the job market this year, that it's becoming tougher and tougher to land a good tenure track job for management PhD.

Top US universities PhD begin to apply to top level european business schools, including those that offer only moderately attractive salaries... This is a new situation for European PhD students.
    More generally, it seems that most of the people considered in the top 50 business schools already have alpha publications in the pipe.

What do you think?

Subsidiary question: do you think it's doable for European PhD to apply to second and lower tier universities in the US? Or they just won't consider non US PhD?

Thanks in advance for your input!

Assumption Investigator

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloomsbury View Post
    Hi folks

Quick question for those who are close to enter the job market...
    I got the impression, from those who were on the job market this year, that it's becoming tougher and tougher to land a good tenure track job for management PhD.

Top US universities PhD begin to apply to top level european business schools, including those that offer only moderately attractive salaries... This is a new situation for European PhD students.

More generally, it seems that most of the people considered in the top 50 business schools already have alpha publications in the pipe.

What do you think?

Subsidiary question: do you think it's doable for European PhD to apply to second and lower tier universities in the US? Or they just won't consider non US PhD?

Thanks in advance for your input!
    So, if you are willing to teach 3/3 or 4/4 and can knock out a B- us pub every other year you can get tenure, without trouble, and make 100ish k/y.

A lower teaching load, a PhD program or higher pay will all require better publication.

The problem for people from europe is two fold. First, according to dr Alrich, " many in Europe, God bless'm, think that June and July are months that you take off"(they tend to be lazy). Second European journals are highly disrespected (in general) as is the rigor and empirical prowess of the typical european PhD program(they tend to publish poorly/half heartedly) . I'm not saying this is right, but it is the bias you will have to deal with.

That said a stable research stream of US B pubs WILL land you tenure in a 3/3 position in the US, even if you have a PhD in donkey maintenance from the #3 school in Elbonia. But Oxford, LBS, INSEAD and Cambridge come to mind as schools with names that are respectable.

Journey is the reward.

@Bloomsbury - I am not on job market. Heck, I haven't even started my PhD yet. But following is the feedback from job market candidates and Professors I interacted with during my visit to several T25 US schools:

1- Job market is definitely tighter, but everyone did get a decent placement (within T100).
    2- Publications are very important, ideally A journal. An R&R will also do, especially if your dissertation is solid, can make good presentations and have some working papers in pipeline. In the end, some pub is better than no pub.
    3- A prior MBA / Work Experience / Some teaching experience during PhD (not too much though) might be helpful.

Publications in American A journals have a distinct quantitative focus and statistics is considered a proxy for "rigour". Lets leave aside the merits of that bias as of now. As far as I know, HEC prepares well in quantitative methods, so that shouldn't be a big problem for you. Also, HEC is very well known in academic circles in the US, so you shouldn't have too much of a problem placing in T100. If you want to target top 50, you might consider a 2 year postdoc at one of the T10 schools and publish during that period.

All the best

PS: I am assuming you are at HEC!

Good post? Yes | No
    Thanks a lot for your feedbacks !

@rsaylors - A "B" journal in the US is also a B journal in Europe (although I'm curious to know what you consider a B- minus journal in management... or even European journals. To me European journals are Org Studies or JMS, and they are B pub). LBS and INSEAD are leaders in Europe, but I won't say that Cambridge has a strong PhD program or even a strong research profile.

@ Indus - The postdoc solution doesn't seem to be always the best one. I saw some candidates struggling to get a job after a post doc because they only managed to publish a limited number of A publications (let's say one A pub 2 years after graduation), so they were sending a low signal on the job market. In the end, they had a weaker profile than before the post doc.

I know that HEC may begin to be known in the US, but maybe in top universities, where anyway they won't recruit from HEC. I'm more concerned about second tier or lower tier schools, where we may actually have a chance.

Subsidiary question : do you think that lower tier schools may offer positions with less than a 3/3 teaching load?

Journey is the reward.

@Bloomsbury - Agreed. Postdoc will definitely not cover for the lack of publications. But if you do publish, it can be a great signal. Also, you will become part of existing faculty networks in the US. By the way, I know of people being placed in T100 in the US from NUS. With some long term planning and appropriate networking you should be able to break-in. Also most PhDs from tier 1 join tier 2 schools. Most of them would know HEC.

Good post? Yes | No
    Thanks for your input.
    Where did your friend from NUS go??
    Which program are you joining finally?

Journey is the reward.

Good post? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloomsbury View Post
    Thanks for your input.
    Where did your friend from NUS go??
    Which program are you joining finally?
    You are welcome! I don't know him personally. But a faculty CV I stumbled across while researching various schools during application period. As far as I remember, it was it was one of the NY/NJ state schools.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to decide yet. Stuck between a highly productive well known school and a lesser known, but closer to my interests, program.

Best

northeast pacific.

Good post? Yes | No
    ajai singh gaur at rutgers, perhaps?

you can see the placement record of nus business phd grads at Job Placement.

Good post? Yes | No
    Ajai S. Gaur: Ajai S. Gaur

Frayed, what do you think about non US schools placing students in second tier universities?

Within my grasp!

Hey, there is free flow of faculty between US schools and European schools. I had an offer from HEC-Paris but did not take it up. One of my classmates is teaching at INSEAD.
    If you are willing to teach in a US school with 3/3 teaching load, for sure you will get an offer.
    If you want to get a position in a top-tier research school, you will need some A-tier journal publications.
    You should be aware though, that once you start at a low-ranked school with 3/3 load, you should have have any realistic hopes that you will generate publications in the top-tier journals and then move into a top-tier research school. It will not happen. You will be buried in teaching and committee responsibilities which will prevent you from spending sufficient time to generate the research publications.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information