Sponsored Ad:
See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: Asking schools to speed up offers?

  1. #1
    Trying to make mom and pop proud
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    23
    Rep Power
    10


    Good post? Yes | No

    Asking schools to speed up offers?

    Sponsored Ad:
    I recently got an offer from a school that is not my top choice but that I will go to if other places don't work out. So I'm waiting to hear back from other schools but haven't heard much. The school that gave me an offer is setting a deadline of 3/15 for me to respond. Is it okay to ask my top choice schools to speed up the admissions process since I have a deadline set? Or will that just be rude and have no effect on me hearing back when I want to?
    Just wanted to know how people should deal in such situations. Thanks.

  2. #2
    Eager!
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    70
    Rep Power
    9


    Good post? Yes | No
    I tried that as well. All they send you is a link that says American schools should not pressure applicants into making a decision before mid April. I think they are quite ignorant of the fact that there are also schools outside the US that are not part of this council ;-) Some schools however tell you in what week they will send out their letters....

  3. #3
    Eager!
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    South
    Posts
    31
    Rep Power
    9


    Good post? Yes | No
    Vinsanity, I am in the exact same position as you, except that my offer is only good for 10 days. My experience is that the other schools do not care at all. I interviewed at my first choice school and the feedback I got was tremendously positive. When I told them about the other offer and inquired if they can just tell me if I'm definitely not in the running, they did exactly what bigbangtheory said. I am now wondering if my being upfront and honest about my situation might hurt me in some way. If I had to do it again, I would just ask the program when I can expect to hear and accidentally on purpose inform them that I had received another offer. Both schools I told about the deadline problem weren't sympathetic at all and almost scolded me for applying to a "shady" program that would not give me till April 15th to make a decision. (BTW, that agreement is worthless!) Good luck with everything. The whole juggling factor has stressed me to no end. Here's hoping you're fairing better than me.
    Mgmt PhD: PhD or Bust

  4. #4
    Eager!
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    75
    Rep Power
    9


    Good post? Yes | No
    My feeling is that schools will finish the first round of offers by mid March. So hopefully, we will hear from the remaining schools before the deadlines of the early schools.

  5. #5
    Trying to make mom and pop proud
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    29
    Rep Power
    9


    Good post? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by stinkybeagle View Post
    Vinsanity, I am in the exact same position as you, except that my offer is only good for 10 days. My experience is that the other schools do not care at all. I interviewed at my first choice school and the feedback I got was tremendously positive. When I told them about the other offer and inquired if they can just tell me if I'm definitely not in the running, they did exactly what bigbangtheory said. I am now wondering if my being upfront and honest about my situation might hurt me in some way. If I had to do it again, I would just ask the program when I can expect to hear and accidentally on purpose inform them that I had received another offer. Both schools I told about the deadline problem weren't sympathetic at all and almost scolded me for applying to a "shady" program that would not give me till April 15th to make a decision. (BTW, that agreement is worthless!) Good luck with everything. The whole juggling factor has stressed me to no end. Here's hoping you're fairing better than me.
    Are you saying that your exploding offer came from a US school on that list? If so, damn.

  6. #6
    Eager!
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    70
    Rep Power
    9


    Good post? Yes | No
    ...or as one school puts it: "You need to do what you think is best for you"

  7. #7
    Eager!
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    63
    Rep Power
    9


    1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No
    personally, i would take insead and start binging for half a year (which school are you waiting for? i think very few can beat insead, and they mostly have already made their offers). congrats on insead, btw!

  8. #8
    Eager!
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    70
    Rep Power
    9


    1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No
    I'm still waiting for a free trip to New York to visit some friends, thereby compensating for all the application fees

  9. #9
    Eager!
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    South
    Posts
    31
    Rep Power
    9


    Good post? Yes | No
    deleted
    Mgmt PhD: PhD or Bust

  10. #10
    Eager!
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    South
    Posts
    31
    Rep Power
    9


    Good post? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by arieshine View Post
    Are you saying that your exploding offer came from a US school on that list? If so, damn.
    Yep. U.S. school and this is not the first time. I've talked to a 2nd year that was placed in the same situation,
    Mgmt PhD: PhD or Bust

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. notify other schools of offers
    By Immaterial in forum PhD in Business
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-12-2011, 03:30 PM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-29-2008, 01:49 PM
  3. Deciding between offers!
    By nasamiz in forum Grad School
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-01-2007, 09:45 AM
  4. For those who have multiple offers
    By rollingstone in forum PhD in Economics
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 03-16-2007, 10:34 PM
  5. offers for this yr
    By jahizbarlas in forum PhD in Economics
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-14-2007, 03:05 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •