Sponsored Ad:
See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Request for Profile Evaluation

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

Request for Profile Evaluation

Sponsored Ad:
    Hello,

I'm very much interested in applying for a Phd Marketing (CB). I request the fellow members to evaluate my profile and suggest improvements or suitable universities where I stand a better chance of being accepted.

Education:
    MBA from the top university (LUMS) in my country (Pakistan) with CGPA 3.52 out of 4
    - MBA also includes one exchange semester at Peking University, Beijing
    BSC (Computer Science) from a top institute (FAST) with (quite low) CGPA 2.1 out of 4

Tests:
    GMAT score 710 - verbal 42, quant 46
    TOEFL score (expired) 109 out of 120 - (expired last year but I'm hopeful to get this much again)

Job Experience:
    I worked as an entrepreneur for about 3 years after completing my bachelors studies, running a small software house.

Research Experience:
    None, except a market research project during MBA which related to a new product launch by some FMCG company. I worked in a team of six persons. We conducted research using qualitative as well as quantitative tools, and presented a report.

In addition to other probable universities, if someone can please comment on my chances of being accepted at HEC Paris, Bocconi, IESE, and HKUST, that would be a great help.

Thanks and Regards.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No
    Why do you want to do a PhD ?

Good post? Yes | No
    daffodil5435, I'm interested in pursuing a PhD because of the research opportunities, possibility of making new additions to the available knowledge base, and a career in academics.

So, do you think my application would be competitive for a place in some of the good programs?

TestMagic Guru-in-Training

Good post? Yes | No
    Education is hard to say. If a 2.1 out of 4 is the same as a 2.1 out of 4 in the US then you're pretty much done for. The MBA GPA (again with the same US assumption) is not the strongest.

GMAT score is acceptable although a bit low for top programs. Q is also kinda weak.
    TOEFL with same score would be okay.

Work experience is not relevant.

Research experience - huge weakness in your profile being that you don't have any.
    Research interests? You didn't list any.

As of right now there's nothing that really stands out about your profile and a few potential red flags. Can't comment on HEC to IESE but I can tell you, that you will not get into HKUST with your current profile.

Depending on what a 2.1 out of 4 means (ie. what's your rank in your graduating class) you might or might not have a chance at ~T40-T100.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No
    Ok, so maybe your undergraduate GPA won't help you.
    But basically all GPA is is a testament to your academic stick-to-it-iveness... which obviously has improved since your undergrad days.

You need research experience of some type to be a serious contender. Consider working under a professor for a year (even part-time) to learn what it means to be a researcher, and start reading up on academic journals in subjects that interest you. This kind of familiarity will show that you are a strong candidate. But unfortunately that means putting the application off another year.

Assumption Investigator

Good post? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by evergreen View Post
    Education is hard to say. If a 2.1 out of 4 is the same as a 2.1 out of 4 in the US then you're pretty much done for. The MBA GPA (again with the same US assumption) is not the strongest.

GMAT score is acceptable although a bit low for top programs. Q is also kinda weak.
    TOEFL with same score would be okay.

Work experience is not relevant.

Research experience - huge weakness in your profile being that you don't have any.
    Research interests? You didn't list any.

As of right now there's nothing that really stands out about your profile and a few potential red flags. Can't comment on HEC to IESE but I can tell you, that you will not get into HKUST with your current profile.

Depending on what a 2.1 out of 4 means (ie. what's your rank in your graduating class) you might or might not have a chance at ~T40-T100.
    Most good departments have better applicants and most bad departments (where that GMAT will shine) have dead-minimum GPA requirements (i've never seen anything lower than 2.5); that said, what Holly said.
    Quote Originally Posted by Indus
    Till you feel reasonably enthusiastic about the research area. It is entirely possibel to do a bad PhD at a great program. If you are not motivated by the research area, you would have a hard time finishing a PhD.
    You can find a list of accredited programs:here Do NOT choose a "program" or "format" as these features are quite buggy. 24% don't list GMAT

Good post? Yes | No
    Thank you all for your useful and insightful comments.
    Especially, thanks to holly for the encouraging words and showing me a way to improve my profile since I cannot change my undergraduate grades now. I'll definitely follow your advice of gaining some research experience.

Journey is the reward.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No
    Hello dexter: Welcome to the forum!

MBA from the top university (LUMS) in my country (Pakistan) with CGPA 3.52 out of 4
    This is a plus. LUMS is pretty well known, especially because several faculty members hold US/Oxbridge PhDs. So you might have some recognition and good recommendation writers (hopefuly).

BSC (Computer Science) from a top institute (FAST) with (quite low) CGPA 2.1 out of 4
    Don't try to find excuses in your SOP. Talk about your strengths and interests. Ignore your undergrad. I am hoping that you had reasonable grades (atleast all Bs in math courses).

GMAT score 710 - verbal 42, quant 46
    tad low. adcom would need some reassurance. You need to either up this score to 49 in Q OR take the GRE and get atleast (790+650).

HEC Paris, Bocconi, IESE, and HKUST
    The people I know at HEC and IESE have much stronger profiles. HKUST also attracts very strong applicants from mainland China. I won't bank on HKUST.

Considering your lack of background in psychlogy and marketing and relevant research experience, I am not sure why you are applying for CB. You might be able to make your candidature stronger if you take a hard look at your interests and your strengths. Please chose the department and schools accordingly.

All the best!

Thread Information