Urch Forums

Do these finance and management science programs interview for their PhD programs?

Arcanen

I'm attempting to determine whether or not the programs I'm applying to conduct interviews or not as part of the application process, and if these interviews are compulsory for admission (i.e. I've read that some programs give immediate offers to top candidates and only interview those on the boundary between acceptance and rejection).

Following are programs that I am applying to that either make no mention of interviews, or present some confusing information.

PhD in Finance at Wharton/Penn.

PhD in Management Science and Engineering at Stanford.

I am particularly confused about Penn, since there are threads on this forum with posters discussing their Wharton interviews. Yet the FAQ on the Wharton page has the following question and answer: "Can I request an interview when applying?"

"Interviews are not granted prior to decisions. Accepted candidates are generally invited to visit at Wharton's expense before they make a decision on whether to attend."

Yet the online application form says "Interviews will be offered only to applicants whom the decisions committee is considering making an offer of admission." Back to the other hand, the confirmation email and the Wharton website section outlining the application and decision notification process makes no mention whatsoever about the interview. This is in stark contrast to their MBA program which appears to go to great lengths to make applicants understand that no applicant will be admitted without any interview. Has Wharton's interview policy simply changed this year?

I'm also interested to know if the Columbia IEOR PhD in Operations Research interviews all successful applicants, or just those on the border between acceptance and rejection.

In general, a school will interview, phone call, or otherwise communicate with candidates they are considering offering admission. It is pretty rare in business phd programs not to do some form of interviewing so I say it is pretty safe to assume there will be interviewing involved.

As an aside, does it really matter? If I get an invite to interview or God-forbid, an acceptance, I'm going to hit the moon. They'll let you know the process when they contact you.

It matters yes, but not because I have an issue with interviewing. I want to know if I can think of these applications as 'done', or whether I'll be entering serious interview preparation mode.

What exactly do you mean by "They'll let you know the process when they contact you"? That they'll tell everyone who applied once their applications have been processed (which seems to take 2-3 weeks for most programs) what to expect from the rest of the process? Or simply that they'll email anyone they are going to interview telling them they are planning to do so (which is true, of course).

How much time is typically given between interview notification and interview?

Or simply that they'll email anyone they are going to interview telling them they are planning to do so (which is true, of course).

Correct.

I have prepared/am preparing like I will be interviewed at every place. That's how I was able to be so detailed in my SOP. I will obviously brush up after an invite to interview, but until that time, I guess I'm not concerned about the exact interview process of each school.