Urch Forums

How much Calculus is crucial for PhD Marketing Admissions???

shadoWizard

Dear All,

Over the past few months, I've come across many people emphasizing importance of math and especially calculus for admission into the PhD Marketing program in US. I don't have Calculus I/II/III on my degree but have studied it online and and will get an online signature track certificate from UPenn. my question is that is Cal I enough or Cal II/III are also important: important to the degree that they make a difference in admissions.

I don't know if marketing programs are similar to accounting programs. But in accounting admissions, they only require calculus, with some exceptions.

MIT: Math - up to calculus, Econ - microeconomics only

I believe most schools are like MIT. I know my school is too (top 10 accounting phd)

Like I said, there are exceptions too... for example NYU requires a year of calculus (I & II) as well as linear algebra.

I would check individual websites. They sometimes mention the degree of math required.

Again, I'm not sure if accounting is similar to marketing programs but just thought I'd throw it out there.

Hello,

Most programs will want to see a higher level of quantitative ability. This does not have to come in the form of Calc I, II or III per se, but you should have a demonstrated ability for high level analysis since that is a major part of marketing at the PhD level. -Admissions Advice Online

For CB: If schools require micro econ then you'll need the calc.

If not, then more important is the amount of statistical training you have.

For Strategy/Quant, the more maths training the better I would think.

That's the impression I get. With quant there is never enough math. For CB some stats and calc would be nice, possibly required for micro. Honestly though at this point if you are applying for this year, there is not a lot you can do and I would just chill out and trust what you have. No use worrying about what you can't change.

Is iot true that US universities especially the good ones focus mostly on quant instead of CB? Also can someone refer some good schools with CB.

This is 100% incorrect. There are some strong top quant programs and some strong top CB programs. It also depends on what you view as a top school. A top school in CB is probably not a top school in quant and vice versa. But they are all top schools. Quant PhD 's make more money afterwards and are in higher demand because there are fewer of them, thus, according to the numbers, it may be easier to get a job at a top school with a quant PhD. But the top schools are not slanted in their PhD programs towards quant.

For top CB programs, you'll have to do some research on your own. Not every "top" program researches things you may be interested in. So your top list of schools should be dependent on what professors are there doing research you are interested in.