Urch Forums

Accounting Applicant Profiles

tm_associate

This thread is designed as a consolidation of successful PhD applicants in the accounting concentration. The moderators have closed this thread to limit the unrelated discussion. As future applicants share their profiles, they will be added to this thread. Please respect their privacy and be thankful that successful applicants are willing to share their profiles with the community.

Thanks.

Discipline: Accounting

Admission Year: 2014

Test Used for Admittance: GMAT

Test Scores: 720 Q48 V41

Undergrad GPA: 3.8 (not accounting)

Graduate GPA: 3.5 (top 5 accounting)

Industry Experience: 1 year at an accounting department of a large firm (during undergrad), 1 year internship at an accounting department of a midsize firm

Research Experience: data entry, data collecting, I helped a professor write a literature review once

Teaching Experience: 1 semester teaching calculus and algebra, 1 semester teaching graduate accounting, 1 semester TAing for a basic undergraduate accounting class

Relevant Classes: 2 semesters of calculus, 2 semesters of statistics, 4 semesters of programming (Java, C++, very basic SQL).. I'm not sure how relevant those programming classes are though

Range of Schools Applied: 6 Top 10, 5 Top 20, 5 Top 50

Total Schools Applied To: 16

Total Offers Given: 2 Interviews (1 Top 50, 1 Top 20), 1 admission (Top 20), withdrew from 9 schools before hearing back, rejections from 4 of the Top 10 schools (haven't heard back from two yet.. still waiting)

Final Remarks: Talk to your professors about wanting a PhD, the application process, etc. They know a lot. I know this is obvious, but it'll make a huge difference. Ask a couple professors to read over your SOP (I made a really silly mistake on mine and glad I did + they'll give you advice on how to improve it).

Edited by tm_associate

Discipline/Concentration: Accounting

Admission Year: Fall 2013

Test Scores: 750 50Q/40V

Undergrad GPA: 3.87

Graduate GPA: 3.9

Industry Experience: Internships

Research Experience: PhD seminars and replications in Grad degree. RA work as undergrad/grad

Range of Schools Applied: all in UTD T25. 5 in T10

Total Schools Applied To: 10

Total Offers Given: 2 offers 1 from UTD T10 and 1 from UTD T15. (general B-school rankings on these are about T25 and T5) Interview at another UTD T15 and Waitlist at a UTD T20

Final Remarks: My undergrad was a teaching oriented state school. I felt like this was a bit of a disadvantage. I did a MAcc at a flagship state, but I did it the year I was applying so I couldn't get any grades in. All of my letters were from my MAcc, so the writers had known me for just a few months at the time, but were well known people. I was also missing grades for more advanced math/stats/seminars/econ that I would have had if I waited. I bet that working for a year or two would have gotten me more offers, but I am not sure that I would have chosen somewhere else. I am very happy with where I am. The good names of my recommenders definitely helped, but I may have been wise to have a glowing letter from undergrad instead of the third letter from a professor that didn't know me too well. However, I made the choice I did based on advice from people that know, and I feel like I did well.

Also, I got the T10 offer very early. So I didn't finish applications to several other schools. I had 15 total and the 5 that I canceled were ranked about 10-50. Cost was a factor for me in applying. I would have done more if I had the money.

Edited by tm_associate

Discipline:Accounting

Admission Year:Fall 2014

Test Scores: 730 Total (Q48, V41, AW 5.5, IR 8)

Undergrad GPA: 3.62 (top 5 accounting program)

Graduate GPA: 3.55 (top 5 accounting program)

LORs: 1 from a highly published professor in top journals, 1 from a published professor in top journals but not research active in recent years, 1 from industry at Director level

Industry Experience: 5 years

Research Experience: None

Teaching Experience: TA for graduate level managerial accounting course at a top 5 accounting program

Range of Schools Applied: 3 in T10, 3 in T30, 1 in T75 based on UTD rankings

Total Schools Applied To: 7

Total Offers Given: Interviewed by 2, Accepted by 1. Withdrew from the other school I interviewed with prior to receiving any update on admission.

Final Remarks: I wish I started the process earlier but still extremely happy with the results. I also would have liked another academic letter of recommendation rather than an industry letter of recommendation.

The thing that helped me the most was reaching out to my undergrad/grad professors. I definitely recommend this for all future applicants. They may provide help with your SOP, securing letters, or even give insight to their careers.

Goodluck future PhD applicants!

• 1 year later...

Admission Year: 2015

Test Scores: 740 (97%), Quant 47 (68%), Verbal 45 (99%)

Undergrad GPA: 3.91

Graduate GPA: 3.50

Industry Experience: Around 4 years public accounting, tax

Research Experience: Nothing of real substance

Concentration Applied to: Accounting (tax)

Range of Schools Applied: 4 in top 10, 2 in top 20, 6 in top 50, 2 in top 75 (14 total; using UTD worldwide ranking metrics)

Total Schools Applied To: 6 interviews (1 top 10, 5 in top 50); 2 Accepted; 5 Rejected; 7 withdrawn

Final Remarks: Apply widely but be sure you are a good research fit! Read papers from professors you might want to work with. The reputation of recommendation writers and the quality of their recommendations seems to be a big key in admissions. Don't be afraid to reach out to former professors for advice - most are extremely happy to help, talk and write you a letter, even if it has been a while since you graduated. Interviews are scary, but remember, the professors aren't out to get you or trick you - they're as interested as you are in finding the correct research fit. Lastly, stay positive and celebrate all the "little" things (finishing the GMAT, finishing your SOP, finishing your applications, your first interview, etc) because they're all actually pretty big achievements.