Urch Forums

Advise Needed. Profile Evaluation- Phd Accounting or Accounting Information System

freewer

I am considering applying for Phd in Accounting or AIS for 2015, but I am not sure if I have any chance of being a competitive candidate. Any advice is welcome.

Education:

BS in Bus Admin from China, major in Accounting, GPA overall: 3.6. Accounting GPA is a little lower. Maths courses in Calculus and linear algebra are As.

Recently graduated from Master of Accountancy program in a local state university with GPA of 3.8.

Professional Experience:

No full-time regular work experience. Only did a few internships during summer or winter breaks in accounting or analytical role.

Others:

GMAT 690(Q51, V31) - taken in 2011. Question: I know my verbal score sucks, does it important and should I retake it?

CPA exams all passed , don't have license yet because I have no work experience.

First author of an article to be published soon in a business journal (not one of those most famous journals), the article is about financial analysis of a special event.

LORs: I guess I have two options: 

1. one or two letters from my Master Professors. do not have a lot contact with them because I didn't think I will apply phd back then, but I believe getting a letter would be no problem

2. one or two letters from the professors who co-authored with me for the article mentioned above. They are like good friends with me, but (they are not in the accounting field though.

Any advice on LORs as well? Which kind of reference would be preferable?

Can any one have suggestions on selection of school? I have totally no clue about it.

Currently I do not have any idea of what should I do research on, but I am interested in Accounting Information System. Is there a list of school that provides this concentration?

Edited by freewer

If you can improve that verbal score a little, and maintain a 50/51 q, then you should retake. I would do 2 accounting professors and 1 of your co-authors, but that is just a somewhat blind guess.

You are selling yourself short a little. You should be able to get into some programs. Info systems is a much smaller field that hasn't been as hot recently. look at this list AIS Accounting Research Rank by BYU

It should give you an idea of where to start looking to apply. I would contact schools and see if they are doing info systems candidates. There are also non-accounting PhDs that are applicable. I.e. Doctoral Program : Department of Management Information Systems : Eller College of Management : The University of Arizona

If you are open to other fields, info systems probably doesn't have the easiest path, so you could look at financial/audit, or other things. But if info systems really interests you, you should do it. The career prospects should still be fine.

If you can improve that verbal score a little, and maintain a 50/51 q, then you should retake. I would do 2 accounting professors and 1 of your co-authors, but that is just a somewhat blind guess.

You are selling yourself short a little. You should be able to get into some programs. Info systems is a much smaller field that hasn't been as hot recently. look at this list AIS Accounting Research Rank by BYU

It should give you an idea of where to start looking to apply. I would contact schools and see if they are doing info systems candidates. There are also non-accounting PhDs that are applicable. I.e. Doctoral Program : Department of Management Information Systems : Eller College of Management : The University of Arizona

If you are open to other fields, info systems probably doesn't have the easiest path, so you could look at financial/audit, or other things. But if info systems really interests you, you should do it. The career prospects should still be fine.

Thank you very much for your reply.

Honestly I am not sure whether I can improve my verbal score over these years. Verbal was very tough for me. Also, Is there an acceptable range for Verbal score when admission committees look at GMAT score? Will I be out of the list because of my V score? I am curious.

I think the BYU list is helpful. I did considered MIS, but I didn't learn a lot of programming before and must much less competitive than CS students. Could you tell me a little more about why you think financial /audit would be an easier field?