Urch Forums

SEEKING A PROFILE EVALUATION (for FALL 2016 ENTRY)?? (PLEASE POST HERE)

tm_associate

In an effort to (1) reduce the number of posts on profile evaluation and (2) prevent forum contributors from giving the same information multiple times for each individual applicant, please post all profile evaluations to this thread. The information given by forum contributors is often overlapping. In preparation for the future application cycle (2015 - 2016).

To help facilitate advice forum members can provide, please provide as much of the information below you feel comfortable sharing. Being more specific will help forum members give you more specific advice:

Name: (just kidding! actually, totally don't post this)

---------

Test Scores (GMAT/GRE):

(Note: It often helps a lot more if you list the percentiles each of your raw/composite scores are associated with)

Undegrad GPA:

Graduate GPA:

Research Experience:

Teaching Experience:

Work Experience:

Concentration Applying to:

Number of programs planned to apply to:

Dream Schools:

What made you want to pursue a PhD:

Concerns you have about your profile:

Any additional specific questions you may have:

---------

Thanks!

Forum Admin

Edited by tm_associate

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for starting this.

Originally from South Asia, currently doing my Masters in Europe.

Test Scores (GRE): 322 (V159+ Q163), planning to take again

Undegrad GPA: Computer Science and Engineering- #1 in my country

GPA - 3.25, this is considered First class at my university, doomed in last two years, had problems

Graduate GPA: Master in Public Policy [Ongoing] On a fellowship.

GPA - around 3.67

Research Experience:

In undergrad worked as Research assistant in undergrad.

As a grad student working for a political science professor.

Published 2 small conference papers. Working on another one.

Working as a student consultant for a UN agency now. This is a 12 months long consultancy [heavy quantitative work, will require GIS, SPSS] .

Teaching Experience: none

Work Experience: Worked for country's largest engineering R&D company for 3+ years

Founder of an award winning small non profit startup.

Concentration Applying to: Strategy and entrepreneurship/ Social Entrepreneurship

Number of programs planned to apply to: 6-10

Dream Schools: HBS/ Stanford/ UC Berkeley

What made you want to pursue a PhD: I am quite curious. I like intellectually stimulating environment.

Concerns you have about your profile:

Will I be at a disadvantaged position because of my background in Public Policy?

##2 What can I do within next 6 months or so to impress the admission committee?

#3 I don't think I can finish my thesis before the application -- will this be a negative thing?

#4 I am planning to take a lot of Econometrics/ Economics related courses and will take Finance course from the business school. What else can I do?

Will I be at a disadvantaged position because of my background in Public Policy?

I don't believe so. I think you're background is adjacent enough to many different areas within strategy. I think clearly explaining how your original interest in public policy has brought you to your current interest in strategy would be helpful. Biggest concern might be if public policy has enough quant coursework to give you a good foundation to successfully complete a doc program. Your engineering background should help mitigate most of that.

What can I do within next 6 months or so to impress the admission committee?

In 6 months time? Probably nothing major that you can adjust in how your overall package looks currently. You'd, most likely, need a full academic year to make significant, meaningful changes. Spend the extra time working on polishing your application package... i.e., do your research on schools, plan ahead on timelines, get SOP well cleaned up, reach out to LOR faculty ahead of time and get the ball moving.

I don't think I can finish my thesis before the application -- will this be a negative thing?

Nah... students apply all the time in their final year of coursework all the time. A Business PhD doesn't require you to have a master's going in, however I think making sure that you close out (i.e., complete) the master's program before you begin the PhD is important so that your focus is in the right place.

I am planning to take a lot of Econometrics/ Economics related courses and will take Finance course from the business school. What else can I do?

If you're planning on strategy / entrepreneurship .... why finance courses? Econometrics is pretty standard for strategy scholars... When are you planning on taking those? During your doctoral program? If so, then just making sure your core undergrad level econometric / statistic knowledge is brushed up on. It's less about knowing everything there is to know going IN to the program, but your ability to pick up the new knowledge and apply it to doing research. Advance research methods will help by making it easier in the beginning, but by year 2 and 3, most students should be on a similar level (at least theoretically).

Overall, it's good that you're trying to find out information early. I'd suggest you expand your list of possible schools you are applying to, to around 14 - 18... You may have 'dream' schools (and i'm also going to take a wild guess that the 6-10 programs are all T10 schools based upon MBA rankings, such as FT). Most programs get a few hundred applications and select only 3 - 5 applicants. that's around a 5% or less chance of admittance. Best of luck with the process!

Test Scores (GRE):168(Q) 155(V) 3.0(AW)

Undergrad GPA:3.8 major in MATH and ECON, minor in STAT in a flag ship state university with top 20 econ/math/stat program

Graduate GPA:Will start MA in Econ next semester

Research Experience: 1 senior project about game theory, 1 undergraduate research project about numerical analysis of Black-Scholes. RA experience on Microeconomic theory,which might lead to a published paper.

Teaching Experience:1 semester pre-calculus TA

Work Experience:None

Concentration Applying to: Strategy

Number of programs planned to apply to: Really have no idea how many business school I should try. But I will try about 10 econ programs for sure.

Dream Schools: I would be very happy if I could land in any top 20 business program.

What made you want to pursue a PhD: I like doing research and thinking, and I want to spend my 20s thinking about things deeply.

Concerns you have about your profile: Low grade in Real Analysis. No working experience.

Any additional specific questions you may have: I tried some econ programs last round and I failed tragically. I will try some lower ranked econ programs with some business schools but it seems like my research background is a little bit too theoretical. Business school tends to do research in a more practical approach and I am kind of worried about the research fit issues. As a undergrad I can only take whatever research opportunities I could get because they are so scarce. And now I end up doing too much math and theory which worries me a lot.

Thank you in advance for helping!

Edited by purlea

• 2 weeks later...

Test Scores (GMAT): 700

Undegrad GPA: 3.64 at a State University in RMI and Actuarial Science

Graduate GPA: N/A

Research Experience: 2+ years RA with 1 conference presentation at university undergrad research conference

Teaching Experience: N/A

Work Experience: 1 summer internship

Concentration Applying to: Risk Management or Strategy (interest in enterprise risk management)

Number of programs planned to apply to: 5ish really do not know yet

Dream Schools: Ones that accept me

What made you want to pursue a PhD: Fell in love with research during RA, and I seem to be good at it

Concerns you have about your profile: Not enough math (Calc I-III and linear algebra), no post-grad work experience

Any additional specific questions you may have: There are not a lot of schools with RMI PhDs, so I guess the odds are even more against me? And I do not know about how the Strategy concentraion works?

Concentration Applying to: Risk Management or Strategy (interest in enterprise risk management)

Number of programs planned to apply to: 5ish really do not know yet

Dream Schools: Ones that accept me

What made you want to pursue a PhD: Fell in love with research during RA, and I seem to be good at it

I am not in your field of interest, but I can say that 5 is on the low end for applying to PhD programs. Try to get about 15 that you end up applying to. This will involve looking at websites/faculty of pretty much every program available and narrowing it down from there.

I like your attitude on dream school, but it would be good to have more specific research interests. Your reason for pursuing seems right. Keep learning more and talking to your professors.

• 2 weeks later...

---------

Test Scores (GMAT/GRE): GRE: Q 166, V 163, AW so low I cant remember

Undegrad GPA:around 3,3 (Italian system is not on a 4 point basis and my gpa is actually high, but the conversion scale is quite unfavorable for us) and 3,9 in subjects of my major (financial markets)

#2 Business school in Italy

Graduate GPA: Same B-School in Italy 3.3 with 4.0 GPA in the "financial economics" major

Research Experience: I have 2 thesis, one graduate and one undergraduate. Undergrad thesis earned me honors. I also have a 2 month visiting student researcher experience in a top 30 B School in North America

Teaching Experience:

Work Experience: 6 months as a research analyst in a big hedge fund in NY; 6 months as a Prop Trader for a Bank in Italy (positive track record)

Concentration Applying to: Finance

Number of programs planned to apply to: 20 (6 top 10, 8 top 20, 6 top 40)

Dream Schools: HBS, MIT, Cornell, Stanford, Yale

What made you want to pursue a PhD: I have a passion for finance and by pursuing a PhD i'll be able to do live my passion

Concerns you have about your profile: low overall GPA, my Uni is not famous outside of Italy, my LORs are not from famous Professors

Any additional specific questions you may have: Do you think I should pursue a Masters in the US to have a chance? Since I already applied this year to 7 programs (I was working 20 hrs a day so I had some time constraints) and got rejected by all 7.......

I do have other good things in my CV: won world finance competition (also vs the ivy leaguers), founder of my B Schools finance club, and bilingual (Italian, Eng)

Thanks!

Please evaluate my profile.

Test Scores (GMAT/GRE): Scheduled GMAT in Aug; mock tests have given me scores of 700.

Undegrad GPA: 4.0

Graduate GPA: 3.2/4.0 (MBA in 2014 from India's best B-school)

Research Experience: 6 months (currently working as RA under Strategy Prof who is well known in industry)

Teaching Experience: none

Work Experience: 9 years in IT project management

Concentration Applying to: Strategy

Number of programs planned to apply to: 8 (all in Canada)

Dream Schools: Rotman, Ivey, Sauder, Schulich

What made you want to pursue a PhD: I like intellectually stimulating work. I developed interest for research during my MBA course completion project works which were largely research oriented (1 stochastic and 1 empirical). Looking at my strengths and interests, I believe PhD and subsequently a career in academia is what I wish to do for the rest of my life.

Concerns you have about your profile: No formal education or work experience in Canada. While I would have a Case published and 1 research work registered as a working paper, do not have any other publications.

Any additional specific questions you may have: In addition to the dream schools, I have Beedie, Alberta, Asper (U of Manitoba) and Haskayne as back up. Would you suggest any other good schools in Canada (except Quebec)?

I do have other good things in my CV: LORs from 2 Profs in best B-school in India.

---------

Test Scores (GMAT/GRE): GRE: Q 166, V 163, AW so low I cant remember

Undegrad GPA:around 3,3 (Italian system is not on a 4 point basis and my gpa is actually high, but the conversion scale is quite unfavorable for us) and 3,9 in subjects of my major (financial markets)

#2 Business school in Italy

Graduate GPA: Same B-School in Italy 3.3 with 4.0 GPA in the "financial economics" major

Research Experience: I have 2 thesis, one graduate and one undergraduate. Undergrad thesis earned me honors. I also have a 2 month visiting student researcher experience in a top 30 B School in North America

Teaching Experience:

Work Experience: 6 months as a research analyst in a big hedge fund in NY; 6 months as a Prop Trader for a Bank in Italy (positive track record)

Number of programs planned to apply to: 20 (6 top 10, 8 top 20, 6 top 40)

Dream Schools: HBS, MIT, Cornell, Stanford, Yale

What made you want to pursue a PhD: I have a passion for finance and by pursuing a PhD i'll be able to do live my passion

Concerns you have about your profile: low overall GPA, my Uni is not famous outside of Italy, my LORs are not from famous Professors

Any additional specific questions you may have: Do you think I should pursue a Masters in the US to have a chance? Since I already applied this year to 7 programs (I was working 20 hrs a day so I had some time constraints) and got rejected by all 7.......

I do have other good things in my CV: won world finance competition (also vs the ivy leaguers), founder of my B Schools finance club, and bilingual (Italian, Eng)

Thanks!

I am doing accounting, so my comments may be a little off. There is an Italian student my year in the finance program here. I have seen our program in top 10 for finance rankings, but I don't really know how rankings work.

Your motivation seems perfect, and your willingness to expand the schools you apply to seems great.

Your concerns are valid. The low GPA definitely matters, do you know anything about your class rank? This can help if the conversion scale is unfavorable. Also, do you have many math classes in that degree? It seems quantitative, but seeing actual math classes is very useful.

The concern that you can actually do something about is the letters. Letters matter a ton in the application process. I think this is the area where a master's will help you the most. If you go to a respectable school and get letters from the top professors there, it can help immensely in admissions. Unfortunately, a finance master's doesn't do much for you academically if you already have a financial economics master's degree. The cost and time is a tradeoff decision that you will have to make. I think the best thing you would really get from it is relationships with professors and a better chance to see life in academia.

I am doing accounting, so my comments may be a little off. There is an Italian student my year in the finance program here. I have seen our program in top 10 for finance rankings, but I don't really know how rankings work.

Your motivation seems perfect, and your willingness to expand the schools you apply to seems great.

Your concerns are valid. The low GPA definitely matters, do you know anything about your class rank? This can help if the conversion scale is unfavorable. Also, do you have many math classes in that degree? It seems quantitative, but seeing actual math classes is very useful.

The concern that you can actually do something about is the letters. Letters matter a ton in the application process. I think this is the area where a master's will help you the most. If you go to a respectable school and get letters from the top professors there, it can help immensely in admissions. Unfortunately, a finance master's doesn't do much for you academically if you already have a financial economics master's degree. The cost and time is a tradeoff decision that you will have to make. I think the best thing you would really get from it is relationships with professors and a better chance to see life in academia.

yes I do have math classes. And in those math classes I have a full grade (maximum possible), and I am top 5% in 9 out of 12 classes in my masters. And in my bachelor we were to many to know, but I graduated with full votes (in Italy you get a final grade at the end of the bachelors degree) and also cum laude with honors for my dissertation.

I know about both time and cost expenses for a master's degree, but it seems the only way to get good lors and also show that my GPA would be high if I had studied somewhere else.

If you have an Italian finance student in a top 10 program he probably comes from the number 1 B school in Italy, that is the only one recognized internationally

Thank you very much for your reply!

Test Scores (GMAT/GRE): Planning to give GMAT in August

Undegrad GPA: 74.6% Civil Engg.

Graduate GPA: 5.7/10 Indian Institute of Management (IIM), I know ... :(

Research Experience: 1. Research paper under review in B journal, 2. Conference Presentation at Australia n New Zealand Conference (ANZAM), 3. Poster presentation of a research paper at International conference at IIM

Teaching Experience: 3 Months as Guest lecturer taught Civil Engg.

Work Experience: 3+ yrs in Sales in FMCG companies in India and Nigeria (current)

Concentration Applying to: Consumer Behaviour

Number of programs planned to apply to: 12

Dream Schools:

What made you want to pursue a PhD: I never enjoyed my MBA as much as I did my Engg. and I found myself dragging till I reluctantly participated in a poster presentation competition at IIM international conference. And it became a life-changing experience for me, I realized, it is research that interests me more than anything. I spent two months after my MBA only to get an opportunity to work with a Prof on my first serious research paper, which got accepted in A journals but we could not get it published, however, we presented it at a conference in ANZAM, currently under review with a B journal.

Concerns you have about your profile: What should I do to improve my profile? As I stay in Nigeria, I do not have any RA opportunity here, so anything distant might help but I dont know how to go about it. Meanwhile, I am trying to work on another paper with the same prof. again.

Any additional specific questions you may have: I know I can get one great LOR from the said prof. How to get others is my concern?

Assuming I get a decent (720+) GMAT score and get one more paper published/presented as a part of my profile, what kind of universities shall I target in terms of top 10/20/50.

Thanks

If you have an Italian finance student in a top 10 program he probably comes from the number 1 B school in Italy, that is the only one recognized internationally

Yeah, he came from Bocconi then worked a few years in project finance I think. We also have a guy that went back to do a master's in finance in order to get good letters and it worked out for him.

Yeah, he came from Bocconi then worked a few years in project finance I think. We also have a guy that went back to do a master's in finance in order to get good letters and it worked out for him.

I'll try with the masters! even if the monetary costs are insane!!!! fortunately I have a dual citizenship and can try to get a federal loan

Test Scores (GMAT/GRE): V:145, Q:168, A:3.5

Undegrad GPA: 3.54

Graduate GPA:3.93

Research Experience: 3 published papers, 2 working papers, 1 conference

Teaching Experience: 3 GTA, 1 instructor

Work Experience: 4 companies and 1 NGO, 2 years

Concentration Applying to: operations management

Number of programs planned to apply to: 12

Dream Schools: Stanford, NC Chapel Hills, Michigan, Yale

What made you want to pursue a PhD: I like doing research and the questions that went through my mind in my practical and social experiences.

Concerns you have about your profile: My undergrad GPA and the fact that I am a PhD student now in industrial engineering and I have to relocate because of my wife.

Any additional specific questions you may have: Is being a PhD student a disadvantage for PhD in business?

Test Scores (GMAT/GRE): GMAT: 690, GRE 158Q/157V... didn't really study for either of these tests, i should be able to get 90%+ if i do study

Undegrad GPA: 3.64 (huge upward trend, the only two quarters below 3.8 are first two) at top 10 public research university majoring in international relations, minor in economics

Graduate GPA: 3.9 Nonprofit Management at mediocre large, public research university

Research Experience: 1+ year helping with research for professors in economics and nonprofits; probably will be a co-author on peer-reviewed publication in by fall in (hopefully) a pretty good journal; collaborating with another student on a publication for low-level journal to be submitted in the spring

Teaching Experience: 1 quarter TA in financial management

Work Experience: upcoming year I will be the data services person for the arts and sciences dept on campus. helping faculty and grad students find and use data. involves knowledge of python, R, javascript, STATA, HTML/CSS

Concentration Applying to: social entrepreneurship (can manifest itself in various ways from strategy to marketing).... there's honestly so many ways that i could get down with social entrepreneurship because it's so fascinating to me... it's hard to put it into one box right now

Number of programs planned to apply to: 10 this year because most of my math classes won't be on transcript (or maybe none because i don't have a shot?)

Dream Schools: Harvard, MIT, Stanford

What made you want to pursue a PhD: I love to research, Always have. Also, I'm having fun with computer programming and I'd love to use as a research tool.

Concerns you have about your profile: My quant classes background is pretty shoddy. By the time my applications will be in, I'll only have completed 1 year of calculus and a couple stats classes. I can probably do very well on the quant portion of the GMAT/GRE, but the linear algebra, dif equations, discreet math, higher level stats classes, multivariate calc won't be on my transcripts even though i plan to take them.

also, i'm worried about my masters program university name. it's a pretty mediocre school that i went to because of the flexibility they gave me in making up for my missing math background. now i'm worried that the rep will bring my down.

Any additional specific questions you may have: do you folks think i should just wait until the 2017 cycle to apply when all my math classes are in? do i even have a shot at top schools?

thanks computer friends you r da best :) :watermelon:

Number of programs planned to apply to: 10 this year because most of my math classes won't be on transcript (or maybe none because i don't have a shot?)

Apply more widely; no one in management (which is where most ent-profs are found) is going to care if you have one more math class; after they see you can do "python, R, javascript, STATA,"

690 is a bit low for MIT; but if you really want to study things that make the world a better place, and you find a good research fit, I wouldn't hesitate to put that in your SOP.

If I were you, I'd apply to 10 t40 10 t80 and another 5 after that.

25 applications in one year! Would this advice vary according to the applicant, or is that the volume everyone should expect to get out?

It varies a little by applicant, but it should be a lot of schools. I only ended up applying to 10. I had great options and am totally happy with where I ended up, but looking back, the cost of an extra application is nothing compared to the possible opportunities.

I still have one year left, so I'll be applying for 2017 entry. All the undergrad work is basically done, only have exchange semester (T20 US school) left. My master's is missing a few courses which I should be able to ace, and a thesis (the perfect grad GPA below thus represents the coursework I have completed, but I should be able to maintain the clean record). I am posting to

a) get opinions on what I could do to still strengthen my profile, and

b) assuming that I get those things done, what range of schools should I be applying to?

Test Scores (GMAT/GRE): Haven't taken yet, but should be sufficiently good

Undegrad GPA:4.10/5.00

Graduate GPA:5.00/5.00

Research Experience: MSc Thesis will be the only serious piece of research done independently, and I will do everything I can to make sure it will be outstanding. Should be in a strong position to get a paid RA position for summer 2016.

Teaching Experience: Nothing thus far, but I think I could possibly TA for one MSc level course if this would significantly improve my profile?

Work Experience: Nothing relevant to finance and research.

I'll have both BSc and MSc done in a little over 3 years, which is considered rather fast for a 5 year degree (3+2). Probably won't influence the ACs decision much though.

Number of programs planned to apply to: 15-20

Dream Schools: Any school in T10 would be a dream come true, would still be very happy with T20

What made you want to pursue a PhD: Great passion for finance (especially markets side, not necessarily corporate finance) - I feel like the time it takes to get MSc is not enough to learn everything I want to learn and would love the opportunity to explore the field a little more freely than regular all-nighters at some bank would allow me to. Finance and economics is what I want to be doing to rest of my life, and getting PhD while I'm still young would ensure that I have the qualifications to do whatever I want with my career and give me plenty of tools to work with, whether I choose to go into academia or industry.

Concerns you have about your profile: I come from a rather small country in the northern Europe - the University I have attended is hands down the best business University here and very well respected, but I doubt its very well known in US.

Any additional specific questions you may have: Like I mentioned, I'll be doing my exchange semester this fall in the states - the school I'll be attending is one where I'd happily do my PhD as well. Besides getting a LOR from a prof teaching one of the classes I'll be taking, would there be anything I could do to strengthen my chances of at least getting admitted there, besides showing my interest and making sure as many people in their faculty know me as possible?

Test Scores (GMAT/GRE): GMAT : will appear in August and expect it to be good 700+

Undegrad GPA: 74% in Civil Engg, India in Top 20 College

Graduate GPA: Converts to 3.01 as per US scale , 5.7/10 as per score-sheet from Indian Institute of Management Lucknow

Research Experience: 1 paper under review, 1 conference presentation, 1 conference Poster presentation at IIM,

Teaching Experience: Guest lecturer for 2 Months at my Civil Engg college

Work Experience: 3 years sales after Grad in India and Nigeria(current)

What made you want to pursue a PhD: I always love doing research, and my prof says I have some potential too. :drunk::drunk:

Concerns you have about your profile: Low GPA in Grad and no experience as RA.

Any additional specific questions you may have: Shall I spend my balance time doing RA work back in India, or work with some professors from my school from distance or learn STATA, R , Python etc. Which of these is going to be valued the most ?

Test Scores (GMAT/GRE): GMAT : will appear in August and expect it to be good 700+

Undegrad GPA: 74% in Civil Engg, India in Top 20 College

Graduate GPA: Converts to 3.01 as per US scale , 5.7/10 as per score-sheet from Indian Institute of Management Lucknow

Research Experience: 1 paper under review, 1 conference presentation, 1 conference Poster presentation at IIM,

Teaching Experience: Guest lecturer for 2 Months at my Civil Engg college

Work Experience: 3 years sales after Grad in India and Nigeria(current)

What made you want to pursue a PhD: I always love doing research, and my prof says I have some potential too. :drunk::drunk:

Concerns you have about your profile: Low GPA in Grad and no experience as RA.

Any additional specific questions you may have: Shall I spend my balance time doing RA work back in India, or work with some professors from my school from distance or learn STATA, R , Python etc. Which of these is going to be valued the most ?

So it looks like you have a pretty solid profile. I wouldn't worry too much about the grad GPA, were you in the top of the class? The number conversion isn't that important as there are clearly other factors at play there. Your research experience is great and will help you greatly. If I were you I'd continue to do RA work where you are at, and see if you can get involved with a professor doing RA work from distance. Honestly most will probably say no, but you only need one. Other than that you'll probably do pretty well. One thing just based on your post, is to make sure you have a native English speaker read over your SOP. You just want to make sure that everything with it is great.

Test Score: GRE 166Q 170V

Undegrad GPA: First Class (UK top 2 university, Philosophy major).

Graduate GPA: TBC (enrolled on Master's starting Fall 2015, #1 research-oriented programme in the UK)

Research Experience: Zero relevant experience. One conference presentation, no-name international psychology conference with a paper on logic.

Work Experience: 2 years, not research-relevant.

Concentration Applying to: OB/Management (Macro Track where it exists)

Number of programs planned to apply to: 6-10.

Dream Schools: 1 top 10, 3 top 30, 1 top 50, 1 top 100 - would rather re-apply than apply to more than 10 first time around.

What made you want to pursue a PhD: Got very interested in problems of organisational design and growth while at a high-growth company, and started reading..haven't stopped reading! Honestly, I didn't know there was such a thing as a PhD in business while in undergrad or I might have taken this path earlier.

Concerns you have about your profile: By the end of my Master's (starts Fall 2015) I'll have research methods training and research experience..currently I have nothing on paper for these.

-Could I get away with 1 LoR of 3 coming from an academic who knows me well but isn't in the area?

Thanks to all in advance!

Edited by ob2016
too long

Test Score: GRE 166Q 170V

Undegrad GPA: First Class (UK top 2 university, Philosophy major).

Graduate GPA: TBC (enrolled on Master's starting Fall 2015, #1 research-oriented programme in the UK)

Research Experience: Zero relevant experience. One conference presentation, no-name international psychology conference with a paper on logic.

Work Experience: 2 years, not research-relevant.

Concentration Applying to: OB/Management (Macro Track where it exists)

Number of programs planned to apply to: 6-10.

Dream Schools: 1 top 10, 3 top 30, 1 top 50, 1 top 100 - would rather re-apply than apply to more than 10 first time around.

What made you want to pursue a PhD: Got very interested in problems of organisational design and growth while at a high-growth company, and started reading..haven't stopped reading! Honestly, I didn't know there was such a thing as a PhD in business while in undergrad or I might have taken this path earlier.

Concerns you have about your profile: By the end of my Master's (starts Fall 2015) I'll have research methods training and research experience..currently I have nothing on paper for these.

-Could I get away with 1 LoR of 3 coming from an academic who knows me well but isn't in the area?

Thanks to all in advance!

Of course! I only had one rec. letter from a B-school professor and had offers from a number of competitive places. My other two rec. letters were from a math professor and a logic professor. I'd say you'd be a pretty competitive candidate at most of the major "macro" schools. Though your topic of interest, organizational design (assuming that's your interest) is actually more of a meso topic. Not fatal, but macro looks at fields, populations, the clash of firms. Organizational design is usually within one organization, unless of course if you start comparing across organization.

Of course! I only had one rec. letter from a B-school professor and had offers from a number of competitive places. My other two rec. letters were from a math professor and a logic professor. I'd say you'd be a pretty competitive candidate at most of the major "macro" schools. Though your topic of interest, organizational design (assuming that's your interest) is actually more of a meso topic. Not fatal, but macro looks at fields, populations, the clash of firms. Organizational design is usually within one organization, unless of course if you start comparing across organization.

Fantastic, really good news!

My main areas at the moment are Organisational Ecology and Institutionalism - apart from the big names I'm struggling to find too many schools that count as 'macro schools', especially outside of the top 30. Is there a handy list or quick way to tell these?