Urch Forums

Profile Evaluation for PhD Accounting, September 2016

Abdullayeva

Hi everyone,

I am CIS country citizen and plan to apply for PhD in USA and Canada.

I have an undergraduate degree in World Economy from top university in my country (GPA 4.0);

MSc in Accounting and Finance (research oriented )in top 10 UK universities (GPA 3.0-3.33, but thesis grade - 4.0 (distinction), that accounts for 60 credits out of 180 received from MSc).

Work experience: 2 internships ( Ministry and major telecommunication company) during 2nd year of BSc studies

2 years as part-time tax consultant at one of the Big4 companies during last 2 years of bachelors

1 year (after my master's degree) in audit department at another Big4 company. I got promotion in half a year and currently work as an advanced staff.

Also I am a lecturer at state university in my country (teaching Economics to 2year bsc students)

GMAT Score: 650

My master's degree was research based and contained lots of econometrics, which at first lowered my gpa due to lack of sufficient knowledge. But then with the help of my Econometrics Professor who was my thesis supervisor I was able to advance my knowledge and got distinction on my dissertation.

I loved doing research and currently enjoy teaching. Therefore I would like to continue my career in academia.

Would be glad if anyone could advice me whether my background is enough to be admitted to PhD program in USA? And which range of schools should I consider?

A few observations/questions....

1. A research based masters degree will differentiate you from the vast majority of people applying to U.S. accounting PhD programs. You should emphasize this, and hopefully can get some good letters of recommendation from faculty that you had in this program.

2. Experience in accounting will help on the margin. When looking at international applications, the admission's committee will recognize the Big 4 experience and know that you are working at the highest quality public accounting firm in your respective country. Does your country have any sort of CPA, Chartered Accountant, etc? ... If so, are you one?

3. Your GMAT score is low for doctoral admissions. Any chance you may retake? It'd be cutting it close for 2016 admissions, but maybe delay until 2017 to strengthen your score. You will want to be in the 700+ range to be strongly competitive.

4. What type of research questions interest you?

Dear Dr. TaxPhD,

Thank you so much for your reply!

1. Yes, I already communicated with my thesis Supervisor, who holds PhD from US university and has many years of research and teaching experience in USA, Canada and UK. She told she will be glad to provide a recommendation letter for me.

2. Yes I am currently in process of obtaining ACCA and have 4 papers out of 14 , soon will enter 5th exam

3. I scored like 720-760 during my CATs, but smth happened to my verbal , I think I was too tired ( Q49 V30, AWA 5/6, IR 6/8). But unfortunately, I cannot wait a year from now, for couple of reasons and have to apply with this score

4. I am interested in researching the factors affecting the quality of audit papers, how does the quality of audit papers affect the firm and stock market performance , particularly in emerging markets. I had thesis topic on does stock market development affect economic growth in emerging markets and would like make further research on factors affecting emerging markets.

I am aiming at universities such as Rutgers Business School, University of Victoria, Beedie School of Business, University at Buffalo (SUNY), University of Waterloo. Maybe you could advice some other universities for which my profile seems competitive?

Best Regards

Edited by Abdullayeva

• 4 weeks later...
Where are you from?

First of all you have to think about visa and sponsor for it. Usually it is hard to get in such program in to USA (have no idea about rules in Canada). But you can check requirements, schools, etc for phd admission 2016 in this countries. And your country background is not really important. Good luck for you!

I didn't personally deal with Visa issues, but I believe that any university can resolve them once you are admitted. I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of PhD candidates in accounting are foreign.

Besides that, I largely agree with TaxPhD. I would expand the list of schools you are applying to and maybe go up a tier from what you have listed.