Urch Forums

Profile Evaluation / Management Science / Strategic Management / Operations

david710

[h=2][/h]

Hi Guys,

Thanks for helping out and any comments/feedback is very welcomed. I am new to this forum and is considering pursuing a PHD program in Canada or US ( prefer Canada since I live here.)

I am currently 26 years old, married but no kids. I live in Toronto and prefer to stay close for the PHD study as the wife is working here. Too much hassle to move the family around. I am currently doing my MBA at Ivey in Canada and will be graduating in April 2017.

I just started looking around for PHD programs at various schools. Most of the deadlines are in Dec or Jan 2017, so I am too late to apply to Sep 2017 and looks like Sep 2018 is the only choice.
Alright, below are my current profile.

Test Scores
(GMAT/GRE):

GMAT:710 overall,

51/97% quant

33/70% verbal

8/8 90%
IR

6/6 91%
Writing

Undegrad GPA
:3.7/4.0 at University of Western Ontario here in Canada.

Graduate GPA:
Estimated to be 3.9/4.0 at Richard Ivey School of Business in Canada. (currently doing my MBA, graduating in April 2017)

Research Experience:
Not much, but is currently working on a research paper for the MBA degree.

Teaching Experience:
Was TA for two of the course I took in undergrad, "Decision making with Analytic" and "Information Technology"

Work Experience:

- 4 Year in the CPG (Consumer Packaged Goods) industry working as an Analyst in Canada in the Analytic space helping company to best utilize their promotional budgets.

- Interned in an Investment bank in China during one of the summer during undergrad.

- Was also involved in the family business for 2 years (as an consultant and a project manager) in infrastructure consulting field. I created, managed and implmented several projects, all was quite successful.

Concentration Applying to:
Management Science / Strategic Management / Operations

Number of programs planned to apply to:
Not sure yet, probably just a couple. Just started thinking.

Dream Schools:
U of T in Canada. The website said 15 was admitted out of 400 applicants each year, not sure how competetive my profile is too the rest of the competition.

Other Questions:

What made you want to pursue a PhD?

I am interested in becoming a professor. During my MBA, I was writing this research paper and I became quite intersted in the acdemic works. I thought this is pretty interesting stuff. In addition, I thought the life style as a professor is way better than others working in the industry.

Thanks Again!

Hey, thanks for your comments. I think the lifestyle of a professor is way better because as a professor, sort of like being your own boss, you have the power of choosing your own time to work. You can allocate your workload according to your personal schedule. Whereas in the industry, you almost certainly have to work 9 to 5 and maybe even worse for some other industries. Also, you do not have the power to choose your schedule. So, that is what I thought with the information I have now.