Urch Forums

Really need some advice about Baruch CUNY

PuffyWZ

Got an offer from Baruch.

The marketing department at Baruch is very supportive, and they got some very nice faculty members.

But I'm a little bit worried about Baruch's placement. They do get some decent placement to Oxford and Penn state, but I can't sure whether they are outliers or not. I know the location is very good, but will the location actually has some impact on your placement and research?

I really need some advice about this one. Thanks a lot!

Looking at the placements on their website, their marketing placements are very solid for a school outside the top 50 in marketing (as per UTD rankings). All of their domestic placements are within the northeast or mid-atlantic regions, mostly in the NYC metro area, so they may not be at nationally recognizable names but all are at solid AACSB accredited, MBA granting B-Schools and a number are at R2 or R3 schools, though only one of them, Fordham, offers a PhD in Business.

The PSU placement is for the Harrisburg campus, not University Park, and is similar to their other domestic placements.

Looking at the placements on their website, their marketing placements are very solid for a school outside the top 50 in marketing (as per UTD rankings). All of their domestic placements are within the northeast or mid-atlantic regions, mostly in the NYC metro area, so they may not be at nationally recognizable names but all are at solid AACSB accredited, MBA granting B-Schools and a number are at R2 or R3 schools, though only one of them, Fordham, offers a PhD in Business.

The PSU placement is for the Harrisburg campus, not University Park, and is similar to their other domestic placements.

Thank you for the thorough analysis, I guess in the NYC region Baruch still has some reputation. My other option is Oklahoma state, and their placement is pretty regional too. So if compare these two, which one would you recommend? A research oriented career is still my most favorable choice. Thanks a lot.

I would suggest you go with Baruch. I don't know the culture in New York but from my experience, whenever there are other good schools in the neighborhood (Columbia, NYU), you get to meet up and interact with faculty and students from these schools and that helps in many ways. I know this is true in Singapore, Hong Kong, Paris, and London. But I would speak to few PhD students at Baruch and get a sense of the program before accepting.

I would suggest you go with Baruch. I don't know the culture in New York but from my experience, whenever there are other good schools in the neighborhood (Columbia, NYU), you get to meet up and interact with faculty and students from these schools and that helps in many ways. I know this is true in Singapore, Hong Kong, Paris, and London. But I would speak to few PhD students at Baruch and get a sense of the program before accepting.

I would first look at research fit of the school's own faculty first, but local academic culture is definitely important. All the R1 universities in the greater NYC area, Columbia, NYU, Princeton, Stony Brook, CUNY and Rutgers, as well as some of the R2 schools in the region are part of something called the "Inter-University Doctoral Consortium" which allows students to take classes at the other consortium members, and while the B-Schools at some of the above universities are not officially included, they usually permit students from other consortium schools to take classes anyway. Also from what I have been told by CUNY and Rutgers PhD students in a number of departments, PhD students from the various NYC area schools often attend each other's seminars.

I would also take into account NYC's higher cost of living, though if you live in the outer boroughs or in NJ, and rely on public transportation it is not as expensive as you might think.

Thank you for the information! I try to compare the placement of Oklahoma State and Baruch. But it seems like the placements for both schools are all pretty regional. Which one do you think maybe better for a research oriented career? Thanks again.

Sorry, I really don't know them to be able to compare. To me CUNY is more famous, but that doesn't mean it is better.

The regional placement of both programs may be self selection. People who are from a certain region, go to a school in that region and then want to stay in that region. It's fairly common. Both of these schools are comparable in status. As others have mentioned, your likelihood of working with profs from other schools is significantly higher at Baruch. For that reason, assuming you don't have a midwest specific bias, Baruch would be the better option.

The huge caveat being that you enjoy the research happening there. I assumed you did, or you wouldn't have applied there. Good luck!

I would first look at research fit of the school's own faculty first, but local academic culture is definitely important. All the R1 universities in the greater NYC area, Columbia, NYU, Princeton, Stony Brook, CUNY and Rutgers, as well as some of the R2 schools in the region are part of something called the "Inter-University Doctoral Consortium" which allows students to take classes at the other consortium members, and while the B-Schools at some of the above universities are not officially included, they usually permit students from other consortium schools to take classes anyway. Also from what I have been told by CUNY and Rutgers PhD students in a number of departments, PhD students from the various NYC area schools often attend each other's seminars.

I would also take into account NYC's higher cost of living, though if you live in the outer boroughs or in NJ, and rely on public transportation it is not as expensive as you might think.

Thank you for all the information, the "Inter-University Doctoral Consortium" sounds really good. I actually want to try to do research about different topics in the first two years, and Baruch has great faculty members who concentrate in different areas. NJ seems like a more rational choice to a phd student. Thanks again for the advice!

Thank you for the info! It would be really nice to interact with other universities. I'm trying to track down some phd students, the website just hide all the information though. Thank you for this great advice!

Thank you so much for the advice. It's good to know about the" Inter-University Doctoral Consortium“。 NJ seems like a more rational choice to a phd students, I guess I'm gonna embrace the well-know NY metro system for the next five years.

The regional placement of both programs may be self selection. People who are from a certain region, go to a school in that region and then want to stay in that region. It's fairly common. Both of these schools are comparable in status. As others have mentioned, your likelihood of working with profs from other schools is significantly higher at Baruch. For that reason, assuming you don't have a midwest specific bias, Baruch would be the better option.

The huge caveat being that you enjoy the research happening there. I assumed you did, or you wouldn't have applied there. Good luck!

I do appreciate any opportunity to work with different brilliant minds. And New York seems like a great subject pool. Thanks a lot!!

Thank you for the info! Actually, Baruch has several professors that I wish to work with. First time to know about the "Inter-University Doctoral Consortium",this sound great. I guess I will embrace NJ and NYC metro system for a long time as a Phd student.

@zshfryoh1

Hi, I try to reply to you, but the platform just don't work...

Thank you for the advice! Baruch do have several professors that I wish to work with. The "Inter-University Doctoral Consortium" sound really good!

I will go embrace NJ and NYC's metro system for a long long time.

@zshfryoh1

Hi, I try to reply to you, but the platform just don't work...

Thank you for the advice! Baruch do have several professors that I wish to work with. The "Inter-University Doctoral Consortium" sound really good!

I will go embrace NJ and NYC's metro system for a long long time.

I just sent you a PM.

Just to note about the IUDC, as I believe I mentioned in my previous post, the IUDC does not officially include the B-schools at member institutions as part of the IUDC. But from what I have been told, the B-schools at those same schools in general allow each other's doctoral students to take elective classes after 1st year. My mention of the IUDC was more to make a point about how the various research universities in the area work together. You might want to confirm what I mentioned with the DGS at Baruch Marketing.

I interviewed with Baruch Finance and I am still waiting for a reply. Ceteris paribus it is my first choice of the schools I have interviewed at thus far. Looking at GC it does not seem as if Finance has sent out acceptances yet.