Urch Forums

Declining an accepted offer

nacho93

Hi everyone,

I recently accepted an offer, thinking it would be my best one, so that I could start the Visa process ASAP. However, I’ve recently received an offer from another two schools, both with better funding and one with better research alignment.

The offer I accepted was online and through the university’s portal, and also via an email confirmation to the recruiting professors (BTW these are all US unis) and for a finance PhD. I have not yet filled out any i20 forms.

If I were to decline the accepted offer now, would it look really bad on me? I have heard universities aren’t able to provide further admissions once they’ve made an offer out that’s been accepted (e.g., if there are 4 slots and one person accepts and declines, they may only take 3 students for that year).

Is this true, even in the case I rescind my acceptance well before April the 15th (I.e., within the next week or two)?.

Would it potentially give me a really bad name in a few academic circles, and ruin any chances of ever working at that university later on?

Thanks for your time.

Well, you don't expect us to tell it's a great thing, right?

It's often considered unethical. Probably not going to have a negative consequence for you, probably yes to another applicant, but it's hard to say.

So I just wanted to confirm - are they unable to resend my offer to the next person on the waitlist?

If that’s not the case, I don’t see the ethical dilemma if I correct this early on.

If it is the case, I don’t disagree with the ethics, and am happy to attend the University.

Well, as the Council of Graduate Schools says, "acceptance of an offer (...) completes an agreement that both student and graduate school expect to honor". To me, it seems unethical, but each person has a different sense of ethics. However, I don't think you'd like the opposite situation, if the school decided to back off from an agreement made with you.

It is allowed? Yes. But just because it is allowed it doesn't mean it's right.

Anyway, I can't confirm if they will be unable to resend the offer to another person or not. As YaSvoboden said, there are weird rules. Extending an offer is not just sending a letter to you. Sometimes it can be pretty complicated, so even if they are able to do that, they may be unwilling to do and the result is the same. Probably you will never know.

Accepting an offer before being really sure about it was really a bad move. You had time to make a decision, and decided to do in a hurry and not take advantage of that.

If you decide to reject the offer, please do as soon as possible. Don't make another mistaking, taking too long now.