Urch Forums

Profile Evaluation - And guidance for a Newbie

Reza

Here are my basic statistics

GMAT: 750 (98%)

Undegrad GPA: 3.59

Graduate GPA: University of Oxford (Said) M.Sc 2008 with upper secondary and an MBA from Emory (Goizueta) 2011

Research Experience: I had a few publications back in 2008 and am working on a white paper right now with a colleague in Oxford 2018

Teaching Experience: 2 years visiting lecturer

Work Experience: 8 years in multinational banks in NYC and Asia

Concentration Applying to: Organizational Behavior (I think)

Number of programs planned to apply to: Want to focus on Canada because I am a Perm Resident. So UoT (Rotman), York (Schulich), UBC, Queens and McGill

Dream Schools: University of Toronto but I met a York University professor who had research interests IDENTICAL to my own

1. Questions or concerns you have about your profile?

I have finished my MBA back in 2011 so I'm kind of out of touch. I am trying to fix that by contacting some of my Oxford fellow alums in academia and working on a white paper with them this year (I will probably be third author). Will I still be considered too disconnected from academia for the top Canadian schools?

Any additional specific questions you may have: As a gay man I want to focus on sexual minorities in the work place. Although there is plenty of work on gender and race minorities, there is not as much work done related to LGBT discrimination, etc.

2. Is that a bad sign that very few researchers in Canada (or even globally) work in this area?

3. Would it come across as self serving that a gay man wants to study LGBT issues in corporations?

4. Would OB the best area for me to apply within a business school?