Urch Forums

Profile Evaluation - And guidance for Canadian schools (OB)

Reza

I'm interested in OB research. I am a Canadian PR holder so I thought I would focus on Canada.

Stats:

GMAT 750

Undergrad: Lahore University of Mgmt Sci (Pakistan)

Undergrad GPA 3.59

Graduate: University of Oxford (M.Sc Management)

Grad GPA: Upper second class honors

Graduate: Emory University (MBA Goizueta)

Grad GPA: Not Applicable

Research experience; Currently working on a paper with Oxford Alums.

Work experience: 7 years in HR and finance.

I've been in the industry for 6 years post-MBA so I am trying to get back into research by doing an RA-ship.T

Dream: Rotman

Others: McGill, York, UBC, Queen's, Ivey, Alberta, HEC Montreal, Simon.

Any advice? What are my chances given my relatively low undergrad GPA?

Depends on the university. Having a relatively lower GPA may remove you from the short list for some schools, but having a a high GMAT score, combined with work experience, and if you can demonstrate some activity on the research front should get you good look overs in a lot of others. Don't stress about the undergrad GPA. Look at it this way... If you believe you have something to offer and these schools fail to even take you into consideration because of a GPA that's not close to 'perfect' ... is this even the right environment for you anyway? Food for thought.

Best of luck.

I am not familiar with Canadian programs, but I am in the management field. I'm not sure how "upper second class honors" translates, but typically a strong masters-level performance can outweigh concerns about undergraduate performance - although I don't think your undergrad GPA is low, but this may depend on how your undergrad institution is perceived and whether some of these programs have a hard cut-off. Having some research experience coupled with relevant work experience from which you can generate interesting and important research questions will help you, and should also make for a good SOP. If you have strong letters from Oxford faculty (or strong letters from any research-active faculty), that will also be a benefit. Ultimately, your chances come down to the particular applicant pool in which you fall, the quality of your research experience and how you articular that and your research interests in your SOP, your LORs, and your match with the department; do your research interests align with faculty at all of those programs? GMAT and GPA are usually the first factors to be considered in order to narrow down candidates, but if you pass that threshold, the rest of your application becomes much more important. You can't do anything about your GPA now, so I suggest writing the best SOP you can, discuss your plans with your faculty, and secure letter writers. Be sure your targeted schools are diverse enough that you are not only applying to top programs, but that you'd be happy attending each one if it was the only one to accept you.

I also completely agree with tm_associate - I had a higher GPA but a low GMAT, and I'm sure that kept me out some programs. I still received a good offer and am grateful to work with faculty who realize "things happen," and are not only focused on numbers, but also want to know the person behind them. The environment can make a huge difference in your ability to push through the difficult times and be successful.

• 2 weeks later...