Urch Forums

720 GMAT - Worth Retaking?

lucky123

I recently took my GMAT after some on/off studying for a few months, and I'm wondering if I should re-take it? Is it worth the extra effort? As I mentioned when I posted before, I am planning on applying during the 2019 cycle, so I still have quite a bit of time, so I could definitely fit in a re-take for the GMAT.

I scored a 720 (49Q, 40V, 6 IR, 6 AWA) on the test. I'm planning on applying to the top schools for their Accounting PhD programs. Just to summarize some stats about myself for people who didn't see my past posts, I am at UofT, and I'm finishing up my fourth year. If all goes well, I should end with a 3.92 GPA (realistic, considering the courses I'm taking next year).

The main reason I would want to re-take it is to increase my Q to either a 50 or 51, as the percentile for a 49 is quite low. I have taken some math courses throughout my Undergrad, which include: Calculus I & II (92%), Statistics (91%), Linear Algebra (96%), Intro to Proofs (91%), Multivariable Calc. (90%), Real Analysis (TBA)

So, I just thought I'd get some opinions on whether or not I should re-take my GMAT? I know that if I study for another month or so, I can at least get it up to 730-740 (anything beyond that would probably have to do with how lucky I am in terms of the types of questions they give me).

Thanks in advance!

I probably wouldn't retake. 720 is high enough that your application is unlikely to get cut from consideration based only on GMAT. In addition, if a school is going to make you an offer with say a 740 GMAT they are probably also going to offer you at a 720 GMAT. Plus, there is always the possibility you do not improve, or maybe even score a bit worse the second time around. Once you're above the schools self-defined GMAT threshold then the marginal benefit of a few more points on the GMAT is very low, in my opinion.

I probably wouldn't retake. 720 is high enough that your application is unlikely to get cut from consideration based only on GMAT. In addition, if a school is going to make you an offer with say a 740 GMAT they are probably also going to offer you at a 720 GMAT. Plus, there is always the possibility you do not improve, or maybe even score a bit worse the second time around. Once you're above the schools self-defined GMAT threshold then the marginal benefit of a few more points on the GMAT is very low, in my opinion.

Thanks for the great advice as always, taxPhD. Do you think there would be any concern regarding the 49Q score?

At 720 you are probably ok. Given your grades in math courses I don't think there is doubt to your quantitative skills. Your time would be better spent getting involved on some research so you can get good LORs (these are much more vital than GMAT). If you tick the box on GMAT/GPA etc whats left is what credible people will say about you.

Having said that if you have a ton of free time the GMAT does allow you to cancel a score so your risk is however much the GMAT costs these days + time, but I think there are better ways to invest in preparing for grad school.

• 1 month later...

Just my opinion (based on my direct observation of n=2 cases), but 720 is high enough that it'll get your application through the first round at just about any school, including Ivy League and top 10 schools. After that it may get a glance or two, but your academic record will speak more to your quant ability (for better or worse) than GMAT score.

I would devote the time that you would otherwise spend studying to retake the GMAT on your statements of purpose, meeting with professors to evaluate your statement of purpose, studying for your current classes, and relaxing.