Urch Forums

Looking for recommendations - PhD programs in Compensation, Rewards - US

Tabularasa

Hi Folks,

I am looking for recommendation for PhD courses with focus area in Compensation. I was browsing through program curriculum and faculty research in Organization and Markets, Organization Behaviour, couldn't find faculties with specific interest area in Compensation. My interest area in Compensation includes Pay strategy, Pay inequality and pay dispersion, Executive Compensation and Incentives. Could you please help look for the relevant PhD programs in US which fits this interest area.

Thanks!

If you want to stay in the "management" related world, compensation research is mostly found in the Labor Relations schools. See Cornell, Penn State, Michigan State, Rutgers ... I'm sure there's more, but those are the ones off the to of my head...

Best of Luck!

Thanks for your inputs. Tried browsing Cornell but couldn't find any faculty with research interest area in this field. Could you help with any specific faculty you know having similar interest. I am looking at research which combines Organization behavior (like employee morale) with Pay strategy and its overall effect on Corporate Governance, firm performance et cetera.

Thanks.

I would recommend doing keyword searches for papers on the topics you're interested in and seeing where the authors are from and if their school has a PhD program. Even if you're no longer in school, some papers can be accessed online for free through various sites, but you also might find be able to get by just reading the abstracts and identifying what seem to be interesting papers, then looking into the authors' backgrounds.

Note that papers often take a long time to publish, possibly many years, so they aren't always representative of faculty's current research interests, even if they were just published this year. That doesn't mean the faculty would definitely be opposed to advising similar projects with students, but it'd be better if you matched on some of their current interests since you would be assisting with these projects as an RA. Also, sometimes authors are on a paper because they lended their expertise on a particular method and don't necessarily study the paper's topic in their core work - this is more common for 4th, 5th, 6th authors, etc., though you should primarily be looking at first or second authors who, at least in the field of management, are known to have contributed the most to the paper. This problem shouldn't cause you much trouble, but worth a mention. Despite these issues, this is probably the best method for locating faculty and then digging into their work a little deeper to see if they're a good match for you.