Urch Forums

2019 PhD Applicant Sweat Thread

tm_associate

Welcome to the Ph.D. in business concentrations' sweat thread for applicants! This is a thread for applicants (hopefully!) starting their PhD program in Fall 2019! Use this is vent, discuss any frustrations, or random musings that you would like others to weigh in on! Best of luck to this years applicants!

For those of you just starting to browse this website, check out this thread for information that has been helpful in the past.

Edited by tm_associate

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...
My frustration is with the early deadline of some of the top schools. December 01! One of my profs is yet to agree to write a LOR! I will be missing out on those schools and hopefully be ready to apply by Dec 13 for others.

Welcome to the forum all! Glad to see some activity from applicants for the next cycle already. Keep in mind that it's a long process. I know that it doesn't make it easier for each individual, but please try to keep in mind that phd applications are one of the last things on the minds of faculty right now in the U.S. market. The end of semester is fast approaching, which means a lot of teaching duties to wrap up. In addition, there are a lot of faculty openings and candidates this year, as many schools are still in the middle of the new faculty hiring process. To temper expectations a bit, don't expect much news until late February. Typically the phd applicant market will pick up as early as march through april 15th. A lot of waiting ahead, so just settle in for the ride.

Best of luck to all this year!

• 2 weeks later...
Keep in mind that right now its end of the semester: finals are going on, grades have to be submitted, etc. It's a crazy time. My school does interviews after the new year.

Can confirm this. I am finishing my first quarter as a 1st year PhD in Finance. I just finished my finals and grades are to be released next week. I doubt the faculty at my school has started reviewing applications.

Psych Schools stated inviting people for interviews. When do B-schools start interviews (specifically CB/OB programs)? Some B-schools had Dec 1st deadline, should we expect emails soon?

I wish. Earliest bschool OB deadlines I had were 12/1 for Stanford and Harvard. I'm also applying to social psych programs and they seem to get back earlier but nothing has been released for anywhere I've applied yet, possibly next week at the very earliest.

How many days in advance do interview invites go out? Looking at some old posts (CB/OB), some schools seem to invite people 2 days in advance. Is this the norm? Are there any reasons for such a short notice? Psych schools send invites a month in advance. Why are B-schools cutting it too close?

In my opinion, I think that they do it this way for a few reasons.

1. Schools a bureaucracies, and inertia in a bureaucracy is the most powerful force. So it's always been done this way, it will continue to be done this way. Note that this is not because they necessarily want it to be like this, it's just requires nothing to continue the way things are, and requires some effort to change.

2. Faculty don't think about applications until they think about them. Basically once they're in a PhD application mindset, they want to get it all done as fast as possible, then go back to not thinking about you until August.

3. How much time do you really need? If it's a Skype interview for at most an hour (and most of them will be 15-30 minutes), then 2 days is plenty to get your stuff in order and read about the school and faculty. Obviously this is a personal preference, but I wouldn't want to sit around for a month stressing about an interview.

• 2 weeks later...