Urch Forums

PhD in Accounting - How proactive should you be in outreaching to schools

EUU

No replies? Sad...:watermelon::sorrow:

I think most people currently active on the board followed the general advice not to. There may have been some people in the more distant past who did, but they are probably no longer active. Look at some of the old threads - both on the business board and the econ board - for why it is generally not advised in the business fields or econ.

The answer is basically the same for any business field. I think it is fine to do, but there isn't going to be a big positive effect, and you can be annoying enough to have a negative effect.

My personal advice is to reach out if you actually have a question that you can't answer yourself. I happened to meet the program coordinator at the program I attended at a conference in the fall that I was applying. I kept in touch and think that helped me get in, but I think my letters, GMAT score, and other stuff would have gotten me in anyway. During the program we would usually have a person or two visit each year that was interested in the doctoral program. They usually were pretty close, so they probably just emailed and asked if they could stop by and meet some faculty and students. Again, this is fine to do, but I don't think it had a huge positive effect for anyone.

The answer is basically the same for any business field. I think it is fine to do, but there isn't going to be a big positive effect, and you can be annoying enough to have a negative effect.

My personal advice is to reach out if you actually have a question that you can't answer yourself. I happened to meet the program coordinator at the program I attended at a conference in the fall that I was applying. I kept in touch and think that helped me get in, but I think my letters, GMAT score, and other stuff would have gotten me in anyway. During the program we would usually have a person or two visit each year that was interested in the doctoral program. They usually were pretty close, so they probably just emailed and asked if they could stop by and meet some faculty and students. Again, this is fine to do, but I don't think it had a huge positive effect for anyone.

Okay thank you I see. Spending more time to get better GMAT scores or SOP is probably more useful XP

I think it's generally a good idea to reach out to the PhD coordinator. I did this when applying and it really paid off for me. I would stick with doing it once and well in advance of admission deadlines (Now would be a good time). If you email, keep it brief and attach your resume. They will probably look it over and then go from there on whether or not they choose to contact you.

I think it's generally a good idea to reach out to the PhD coordinator. I did this when applying and it really paid off for me. I would stick with doing it once and well in advance of admission deadlines (Now would be a good time). If you email, keep it brief and attach your resume. They will probably look it over and then go from there on whether or not they choose to contact you.

Brilliant advice, thank you!

I don't know about accounting specifically, but for OB programs I was encouraged to reach out to everyone I wanted to work with in advance by professors who I work with that are in the field. I got a response from every person I emailed (within 48 hours) and they were all positive. The last person I emailed just got back to me today and actually asked that I reach back out to her again around the deadline so she can be sure to flag my application (!!!). This is at a top 20 school and one of my top programs.

I don't know about accounting specifically, but for OB programs I was encouraged to reach out to everyone I wanted to work with in advance by professors who I work with that are in the field. I got a response from every person I emailed (within 48 hours) and they were all positive. The last person I emailed just got back to me today and actually asked that I reach back out to her again around the deadline so she can be sure to flag my application (!!!). This is at a top 20 school and one of my top programs.

Wow, that's so amazing!! You must be a really brilliant applicant, sjk, and I am sure you'll be very successful in your applications :watermelon:

I guess it might be a school-specific thing? But thanks for sharing your experience! This was so helpful :)

This might sound really childish but I was wondering about what should you be communicating when you e-mail the PhD coordinator. Is it just like: I am interested in the PhD program and this is the summary of my profile? Or is there something else that I might ask the coordinator?

This might sound really childish but I was wondering about what should you be communicating when you e-mail the PhD coordinator. Is it just like: I am interested in the PhD program and this is the summary of my profile? Or is there something else that I might ask the coordinator?

This is mostly opinion and preference, but I don't like the idea of an email like that. The coordinator is going to get everything that you tell them in that email from the application.

This is why I think you should contact them if you have an actual question. You should be able to figure out what you can from the website and then feel free to ask anything else. It is better to come up with questions on your own, but some generic ones include: Which faculty are likely to chair dissertations in 4-6 years? Who actively works with PhD students? Is there anything that differentiates your program from other similar programs? You can ask about people working in certain subfields. What are the plans are for hiring over the next few years?

Some of those would seem weird coming from a random undergrad, but my point is that sending in an application for early review won't do much for you.

This is mostly opinion and preference, but I don't like the idea of an email like that. The coordinator is going to get everything that you tell them in that email from the application.

This is why I think you should contact them if you have an actual question. You should be able to figure out what you can from the website and then feel free to ask anything else. It is better to come up with questions on your own, but some generic ones include: Which faculty are likely to chair dissertations in 4-6 years? Who actively works with PhD students? Is there anything that differentiates your program from other similar programs? You can ask about people working in certain subfields. What are the plans are for hiring over the next few years?

Some of those would seem weird coming from a random undergrad, but my point is that sending in an application for early review won't do much for you.

I agree. I think this is very right about prestigious schools?? I can imagine how they receive a ton of all-star applications :P and will probably be annoyed if people ask about things they can find on the web page. But I guess this may work for newer programs or schools that actually want to recruit expansively to meet new people...but in the end the profs will decide whether they'll take anymore though :( :grief:

I think it can go either way. I reached out to just about every school I was applying to, usually just one or two professors I might want to work with, and always with legitimate questions about research focus, etc. most schools responded and all were positive; nobody said “go through proper channels.” Most conversations were over email but a few folks suggested phone calls.

My take is that it’s not a bad idea, but not necessary. The reasons to do it are 1) get more info and 2) build recognition for your name before the official review round when your name is one on the list. The reason not to do it is that if you are perceived as annoying or petulant you could bias the committee against you. If a school says not to (I think Wharton did?), I didn’t.

For what it’s worth, I got into some schools where I didn’t reach out and got rejected by a program where I had nice back and forth emails and phone calls with two folks. But most of the places I reached out to gave me offers, and I think it helped me (being a “non traditional” applicant).

I guess to sum up: some people will, some people won’t, if the school says not to don’t, it’s not required, it may help just a hair, do it if you think you will benefit from getting the answer to a question, don’t email to say, “just wanted to introduce myself.”

• 2 weeks later...
Woo your idea's great! I had the opposite situation of a school reaching out to me in the first place...I responded with my info and a question but they seemed really swamped with other things so it might take them a long time to reply (or even not) :( not sure if I should proceed or if they just mass email candidates :/ lol anyway...was it pushy for me to send my info in such a scenario?

Woo your idea's great! I had the opposite situation of a school reaching out to me in the first place...I responded with my info and a question but they seemed really swamped with other things so it might take them a long time to reply (or even not) :( not sure if I should proceed or if they just mass email candidates :/ lol anyway...was it pushy for me to send my info in such a scenario?

That's interesting. Do you know where they got your info to begin with?

Responding to them and asking a question was definitely not too pushy.

I remember getting something like this from the University of Alabama when I was applying to doctoral programs. I think they buy contact information from the GMAC based on filters on GMAT score, etc. Common in the MBA world, not so common in the PhD world. But it happens.

Okay thank you aww this freaked me out cuz it was really unexpected...and yes I think they might have found me through GMAC:watermelon: